Win or Lose I think Grambling Should Go D-1A

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaMont

These guys can play and indeed with the extra scholarships, they would be whoppin SJSU *****. It's time to make the move.

Originally posted by LaMont
These guys can play and indeed with the extra scholarships, they would be whoppin SJSU *****. It's time to make the move.

,, um-hum,,,

(insert all of my previous takes on this issue here,,,)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Cosigning to Unknown. Anyways, Grambling is not showing any heart, Bruce is throwing Turkeys. They are not ready for D1, STC please explain. Where are the Grambling peeps? Bruce Eugene is not the best quarterback in the Swac, Kent is.....

Originally posted by unknown1
Not tryin to rain on your parade...but SJSU isnt exactly a measuring stick for D-IA.

I am cosigning this. Dr. Hill has worked wonders with what he has to work with at SJSU. But SJSU is not USC, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Ohio State or Miami. They are not on the level of last year's Nebraska or Florida State teams.

What is the average attendance in Grambling (not for all of Grambling's games)? Understand that there are attendance requirements for 1-A. Does Grambling reach that requirment?

now see,,,

i was gonna try not to post on this one because we have been through it so many times, but no,,,,,,, here comes the anti-Div I-A goon squad. :rolleyes: i will continue to try and sit this one out since my opinions are well documented on the matter.

We have D! talent but the offensive scheme and play calling SUCKS. You cannot beat any decent defense with one dimensional play calling. The sad thing is that we have good enuff running backs to have an effective running game. Tolbert has good escapablity and the fullback has good running technique. Why the hell we didn't pound the line of scrimmage (and two lb's) more is beyond me!

I hope Doug talks to Spears and convinces him to go back to more balance in the running game. When we used a SMASH mouth offense plus some spread formations in 2001 we were more of a CONSISTENT offensive team!

We'll be okay because the talent is there. But Bruce passing the ball 55 times is just a repeat of the Alcorn teams when McNair was playing. That brand of football (GR calls it c**n Ball) ain't gonna get it done against fundamentally sound defensive squads!

Originally posted by TSU/BAMA
You can say that again.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by MikeBigg
That brand of football (GR calls it c**n Ball) ain't gonna get it done against fundamentally sound defensive squads!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have D! talent but the offensive scheme and play calling SUCKS. You cannot beat any decent defense with one dimensional play calling. The sad thing is that we have good enuff running backs to have an effective running game. Tolbert has good escapablity and the fullback has good running technique. Why the hell we didn't pound the line of scrimmage (and two lb's) more is beyond me!

I hope Doug talks to Spears and convinces him to go back to more balance in the running game. When we used a SMASH mouth offense plus some spread formations in 2001 we were more of a CONSISTENT offensive team!

We'll be okay because the talent is there. But Bruce passing the ball 55 times is just a repeat of the Alcorn teams when McNair was playing. That brand of football (GR calls it c**n Ball) ain't gonna get it done against fundamentally sound defensive squads!

I totally agree Mike B. the def. of SJSU was set up for screen plays, play action plays and just down right hit ?em in the mouth running plays... They only had 2 LBS and 5 DBs, and they were blitzing. That?s a dream comes true for any team that has any type of running game. I just hope Spears gets it together... But I must say this; it?s just something in me that makes me compete harder against ?the man? than anyone else... And on that note with the defensive coordinator being of caucasian descent, it's no way I could sleep at night knowing that he shut me out or that it was a remote possibility that he could. But that?s just me?

MikeBigg, my phylosophy PRECISELY. Bruce can't do it all. That's one thing I was initially impressed with Comegy about at Tuskegee. When I came back for the first time and saw the team and this big tank always in the backfield able to grind out 4-6 yards consistantly swapping out with a speedy tailback that was a threat to get a first down 60% of the time and a good O-line (for our divisions. I know some wise-@$$ is going to pile on because i'm talking about Tuskegee,,, :rolleyes: ) that could open holes OR give the QB time to throw the ball, I was stunned because back in my day, 82-87', Tuskegee threw the ball 90% of the time, we seemed woefully undersized compared to almost everybody we played and we were no better than 500 ball.

The HBCUs have got to become multi-dimensional. Can you imagine if Bruce had a punishing fullback and/or a 100+ tailback to take some of the pressure off him?

Originally posted by GoodFella
Cosigning to Unknown. Anyways, Grambling is not showing any heart, Bruce is throwing Turkeys. They are not ready for D1, STC please explain. Where are the Grambling peeps? Bruce Eugene is not the best quarterback in the Swac, Kent is.....

Well if you believe that Kent is a better QB than Bruce you must also believe that GWB is a better Pres. than Bill Clinton, because that facts/stats speak for themselves. Bruce has much better stats than Kent and he has also one a SWAC Championship something Kent has never done. So on that note and in the words of GWB (the dumbest pres. in history) to Al Gore, "that seems like fuzzy math...". But, doesn't everything seem fuzzy when you can't understand it??? Referring to GWB and anyone who believes that Kent is a better QB than Bruce... LOL...

Originally posted by dagreightone
Well if you believe that Kent is a better QB than Bruce you must also believe that GWB is a better Pres. than Bill Clinton, because that facts/stats speak for themselves. Bruce has much better stats than Kent and he has also one a SWAC Championship something Kent has never done. So on that note and in the words of GWB (the dumbest pres. in history) to Al Gore, "that seems like fuzzy math...". But, doesn't everything seem fuzzy when you can't understand it??? Referring to GWB and anyone who believes that Kent is a better QB than Bruce... LOL...

All of this is fuzzy to me!

Originally posted by SoloMan
All of this is fuzzy to me!

I've not heard of or seen Kent. I need to see him to speak to the Eugene v Kent matter. I've seen Eugene a few times. I believe he will go to the NFL, especially if "the chubsta" from Marshall does well in Jacksonville. I could see him going to the Raiders and re-energizing their "vertical gam".

Originally posted by Bartram
MikeBigg, my phylosophy PRECISELY. Bruce can't do it all. That's one thing I was initially impressed with Comegy about at Tuskegee. When I came back for the first time and saw the team and this big tank always in the backfield able to grind out 4-6 yards consistantly swapping out with a speedy tailback that was a threat to get a first down 60% of the time and a good O-line (for our divisions. I know some wise-@$$ is going to pile on because i'm talking about Tuskegee,,, :rolleyes: ) that could open holes OR give the QB time to throw the ball, I was stunned because back in my day, 82-87', Tuskegee threw the ball 90% of the time, we seemed woefully undersized compared to almost everybody we played and we were no better than 500 ball.

The HBCUs have got to become multi-dimensional. Can you imagine if Bruce had a punishing fullback and/or a 100+ tailback to take some of the pressure off him?

How does this equate into Grambling being ready to go D-IA?They have too many other issues with their school that need to be addressed before even considering that. Not counting classics, what does Gramblings home attendance look like? W-L record against D-IA opponents? I still dont see what you saw in that game that makes you think they should move up...we must've been looking at 2 different games.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by unknown1
How does this equate into Grambling being ready to go D-IA?They have too many other issues with their school that need to be addressed before even considering that. Not counting classics, what does Gramblings home attendance look like? W-L record against D-IA opponents? I still dont see what you saw in that game that makes you think they should move up...we must've been looking at 2 different games.

got it chief. duely noted. :look:

I don't mean to offend anybody but Bruce Eugene has a loooong way to go before the NFL will take his effort to play quarterback seriously.He needs to drop about 30 lbs. and continue to work on his mechanics.
Too many of our teams nut up when they play PWCs.Based on the scouting report that Gram had on SJSU, they should have had plans to exploit all of their weaknesses. And when something is taken away, use something else.
Last season, FVSU relied on running the football. Nothing wrong with that but when people start putting 8 in the box, you simply go to something else. You don't continue to stubbornly use the same plays.
We need someone like Bill Walsh to do coaching clinics with our HBCU head coaches and coordinators.

It don't take a so-called genius to figure out what Grambling needs to do. Run the freaking ball. Get behind those big azz lineman and let your backs earn their scholarships. Then you can go down field to Douglas, Colquitt, Day, Bryant, Abney as you see fit.

Remember when Dallas was winning those NFL championship with a base offense geared to running the ball and play action passes. It works when you have superior talent. Grambling has superior talent. All we need now is to utilize that talent. You run gimmick offenses when you have a talent disadvantage. When your personnel is as good as ours, you don't have to use a freaking spread offense. Go back to more smash mouth running like we did with Brad Hill. Tolbert, Oree and #32 being lead into the hole by Reuben Mayes (fullback) would be hard to handle...especially when you can use them for play action to Douglas, Colquitt and company!

It don't take a so-called genius to figure out what Grambling needs to do. Run the freaking ball. Get behind those big azz lineman and let your backs earn their scholarships. Then you can go down field to Douglas, Colquitt, Day, Bryant, Abney as you see fit.

Remember when Dallas was winning those NFL championship with a base offense geared to running the ball and play action passes. It works when you have superior talent. Grambling has superior talent. All we need now is to utilize that talent. You run gimmick offenses when you have a talent disadvantage. When your personnel is as good as ours, you don't have to use a freaking spread offense. Go back to more smash mouth running like we did with Brad Hill. Tolbert, Oree and #32 being lead into the hole by Reuben Mayes (fullback) would be hard to handle...especially when you can use them for play action to Douglas, Colquitt and company!

That all sounds good, but being balanced is more than just play calling. You have to really practice running, often at the expense of your passing game. There's only so many plays that any team will become efficient at, so you have to strike a good balance in what you practice. Also, your lineman really have to worked harder at run-blocking. Run blocking requires more cohesion, depth and versitility from the OL, which means the big guys have to be in shape and have good technique. But even more than that, it requires an attitude change by the players. Your guys have to become tougher, more nastier if they're gonna run the ball successfully.
That's been one of the main things at J-State. Our guys are having to learn blocking techniques and schemes which they aren't accustomed to doing. And they're having to develop more toughness and less finesse(sp). Its all been a big adjustment that you have to be prepared for.
Finally, when you're a successful passing team striving for more balance, be prepared for some backlash from media, fans and even some players. However, if you're a strong enough coach, that shouldn't be a problem.

Having said this, I'm sure Grambling has the personnell to run the ball better this year. But if you're talking about being like those old Dallas teams in the past, it's gonna take a long-term committment from the staff and players to get it done.

Originally posted by JSU/99
That all sounds good, but being balanced is more than just play calling. You have to really practice running, often at the expense of your passing game. There's only so many plays that any team will become efficient at, so you have to strike a good balance in what you practice. Also, your lineman really have to worked harder at run-blocking. Run blocking requires more cohesion, depth and versitility from the OL, which means the big guys have to be in shape and have good technique. But even more than that, it requires an attitude change by the players. Your guys have to become tougher, more nastier if they're gonna run the ball successfully.
That's been one of the main things at J-State. Our guys are having to learn blocking techniques and schemes which they aren't accustomed to doing. And they're having to develop more toughness and less finesse(sp). Its all been a big adjustment that you have to be prepared for.
Finally, when you're a successful passing team striving for more balance, be prepared for some backlash from media, fans and even some players. However, if you're a strong enough coach, that shouldn't be a problem.

Having said this, I'm sure Grambling has the personnell to run the ball better this year. But if you're talking about being like those old Dallas teams in the past, it's gonna take a long-term committment from the staff and players to get it done.

outstanding. This is good $hit. I can't agree with most of your take more. Amen.

In other words, HBCUs must become more like the SEC (now easy folks,,,,, i know that's an incendiary remark to say that HBCUs should be more like the SEC; what I mean is building your program more so around smash-mouth physical football fundamentals. the o-line is crucial. depth is crucial. RECRUITING is crucial.)

I would have to concure with some of your core takes. IT DOES take a fundamental change in phylosophy. As someone alluded to though, if our schools are not putting up points every play, we get bored easily, so it's tuff, I'll admit, to buck that mentality. I would like to see more HBCUs go to a more balanced phylosophy and be able to grind it out on the ground,, be able to blow teams off the ball and dominate the line of scrimmage, especially against PWCs in key games.

Kinda like the run it down your throat style we had in 2001.
I think the running backs we have now are potentially just as good as what we had that year (Although Brad Hill, Ken Shanklin, Michael Young, and Vyron Brown were good backs). I know the offensive line is better...these guys were put in a bad situation from passing every down.

I'm telling you folk that the spread offense just doesn't get it done against a good defense. Remember the St. Louis Rams against New England? Remember Cardell Jones' Alcorn teams that could score but not manage the clock with a running game.

I'm old school, but you got to have the ground game to set up the big play passing game.

So, are yall saying that HBCUs have a lot of work to do before they consider moving to D-1A? Just asking.

Originally posted by TSU/BAMA
So, are yall saying that HBCUs have a lot of work to do before they consider moving to D-1A? Just asking.

Yes. A lot more than some of us think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back