Win Fixer

JROCK

Preeminent
Anyone had a problem with this top of problem? What happens is a pop up comes up telling you that your computer may be infected and prompts you to down load their software.

I have a problem with this too. <----would greatly appreciate it if someone could post how to eliminate this mess. I have Bellsouth Pop-up and Security System but it doesn't seem to work....,

I have this problem too. Went to a forum for them to help me fix it but it didnt work. The file they told me to delete with hijackthis turned into another file.

BulldogM.Ed.23 said:
I have a problem with this too. <----would greatly appreciate it if someone could post how to eliminate this mess. I have Bellsouth Pop-up and Security System but it doesn't seem to work....,

I have bellsouth also. It seems like every anti virus software that contends they can correct the problem prompts you to pay for it under the guise of being free. I have even received pop-ups asking to fix for money.

Now I know of one sure way to fix it but don't want to take that route........yet:

Non Destructive Recovery...........This returns your system to the orginal settings but you will lose your saved items.

JagBR said:
I have AOL and still get that pop-up. There is a way to delete that on Add-Delete.

I've tried that route (no luck). The virus also changes its name and is not conspicuous.

You can try all the pop-up blocker software you want. The problem is as pop-up programs hit the market faster than pop-up blocker programs.

Here is my solution.
1. Run any pop-up blocker/anti-spy ware program.
2. Stop using IE and AOL browsers and use more secure browsers such as Firefox.
3. Type in msconfig' from the Start/Run command line and go to the Start-Up tab and take out any process that looks like it is a pop-up/spyware process.
4. Don't visit those sites that give you something for FREE, such as these sites that allow you to share MP3 files for free. They load batch programs onto your set.

Da_Sperm said:
You can try all the pop-up blocker software you want. The problem is as pop-up programs hit the market faster than pop-up blocker programs.

Here is my solution.
3. Type in msconfig' from the Start/Run command line and go to the Start-Up tab and take out any process that looks like it is a pop-up/spyware process.
4. Don't visit those sites that give you something for FREE, such as these sites that allow you to share MP3 files for free. They load batch programs onto your set.

I beleive the bold to be the case. I also believe the virus was received when attempting to download yahoo tool bar. ( i did step 3 a couple of days ago to no avail).

I will try #1. Believe it or not the last two days, the pop-ups have subsided a tad....

Another problem I am having is it something that BellSouth Spyware picked up called "xcp.sony.rootkit." For whatever reason my spyware cannot delete it. I did some research on wikipedia and discovered it is also affecting my cd-rom/DVD drive. Those of you in the know please help a brother out...Whoever created spyware/virus know they ain't right............

I'm not sure if you can delete rootkit yet, but you can disable it.

How to tell whether the rootkit is on your computer: On the Start menu, choose Run. In the box that pops up, type this command:

cmd /k sc query $sys$aries

and hit the Enter key. If the response includes “STATE: 4 RUNNING”, then your machine is infected with the rootkit. If the response includes “The specified service does not exist as an installed service”, then your machine is not infected with the rootkit.

How to disable the rootkit: On the Start menu, choose Run. In the box that pops up, type this command:

cmd /k sc delete $sys$aries

and hit the Enter key. Then reboot your system, and the rootkit will be permanently disabled.
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=924

Da_Sperm said:

Here is my solution.

#1 Worked real well for me.......My computer is moving real fast again. :tup:

Well its been a while but it was only this past week that I even had time to fool around with my laptop and get rid of winfixer and get my dvd/cd drive to work despite have the sony.rootkit on my computer. As far a winfixer, I downloaded something called xsoft and got that mess off. After doing research, I found out that the rootkit virus got on my computer when I played an enhanced CD from Sony (Mary Mary). Its a tricky little thing that sony put on the artists cds to keep people from making copies. Initially I tried to delete certain files that were put on my computer, but then it disabled my dvd/cd rom drive. So I uninstalled my the driver and reinstalled it. All of the antivirus and anitispyware stuff I have on my computer still identify sony.rootkit but if at least my laptop can function better..,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_rootkit

BulldogM.Ed.23 said:
Well its been a while but it was only this past week that I even had time to fool around with my laptop and get rid of winfixer and get my dvd/cd drive to work despite have the sony.rootkit on my computer. As far a winfixer, I downloaded something called xsoft and got that mess off. After doing research, I found out that the rootkit virus got on my computer when I played an enhanced CD from Sony (Mary Mary). Its a tricky little thing that sony put on the artists cds to keep people from making copies. Initially I tried to delete certain files that were put on my computer, but then it disabled my dvd/cd rom drive. So I uninstalled my the driver and reinstalled it. All of the antivirus and anitispyware stuff I have on my computer still identify sony.rootkit but if at least my laptop can function better..,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_rootkit

I inevitably had to do a non destructive recovery (returned computer back to original setting and software). The pop-up addition/spyware running did not work as well as I originally thought.

Back