Will SU ever have a female drummajor?

How many qualified females have applied for the few limited spots that have been open on our band staff( keep in mind that since the days of Doc, every member on our staff has been an SU grad)? Has a female ever tried out to be a drum major? We're not going to hire a female nor make a female a DM just cause, you have to earn it.

How many other SWAC schools have female directors on staff?
Drum majors are chosen at SU. There is no formal audition process. You don't apply for leadership positions within the Juke, it's given to you and they never have and likely never will chose women.

Most bands in the best conference in the land never had a female director but most have had female drum majors which is a good sign that women band directors are possible. I think The Juke is the only SWAC band never to have a female drum major.

All the band teachers I've had have been men so women are the minority but still ... there's enough of them out there to be chosen.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Drum majors are chosen at SU. There is no formal audition process. You don't apply for leadership positions within the Juke, it's given to you and they never have and likely never will chose women.

Most bands in the best conference in the land never had a female director but most have had female drum majors which is a good sign that women band directors are possible. I think The Juke is the only SWAC band never to have a female drum major.

All the band teachers I've had have been men so women are the minority but still ... there's enough of them out there to be chosen.

Sooooooo you're telling me that there has never been an audition for Drum Major at SU? You've said plenty of wrong things in the posts you've made on this topic but this is laughable!!!

@number1 Come see this!!! LMAO!!!

We thank all of the Non-SUers for your knowledge of and interest in the Southern University Marching Band. We understand that the "Human Jukebox" is an entity of national and international acclaim, and that the Nation and world are interested in every aspect of Jukebox existence. The most recognized marching band on the Planet, the Jukebox strives for gender-fairness to the same extent it does performance excellence.

Last edited:
Sooooooo you're telling me that there has never been an audition for Drum Major at SU? You've said plenty of wrong things in the posts you've made on this topic but this is laughable!!!

@number1 Come see this!!! LMAO!!!

The Juke runs like a secret society, they know who they want for leadership way in advance.

With as much wrong information you're spewing on here you should probably change yours to Candace Owens.

Well prove it. Find me a video or evidence of an audition process for the drum major (mind you I listened to an interview with a SU drum major saying he was asked to lead the band). Show evidence that there has ever been meaningful women leadership in the Isaac Greggs Bandhall outside of the Dolls (not talking about sections). I'm sure you won't be able to prove it and will just come back with some dismissive ignorant comment.

And I'm not an outsider, I have more family members that are SU Jags than TxSU Tigers. I grew up in the SU bubble going to SU graduations, tailgates, homecomings, Boombox Classics, etc.

Well prove it. Find me a video or evidence of an audition process for the drum major (mind you I listened to an interview with a SU drum major saying he was asked to lead the band). Show evidence that there has ever been meaningful women leadership in the Isaac Greggs Bandhall outside of the Dolls (not talking about sections). I'm sure you won't be able to prove it and just come'll back with some dismissive ignorant comment.

Dude......There isn't a video because no auditions are BROADCAST to the public. Not even the Dancing Dolls. As a matter of fact there is one drum major audition that Jukes joke about all the time in our facebook forum. Yeah the 1st Drum Major was asked to lead the band but that doesn't mean that ALL are asked to lead.

Ella Patty Almaker started the makings of the Southern University Marching Band. So I'll state it AGAIN. You're are wrong. LOL!!!

Well prove it. Find me a video or evidence of an audition process for the drum major (mind you I listened to an interview with a SU drum major saying he was asked to lead the band). Show evidence that there has ever been meaningful women leadership in the Isaac Greggs Bandhall outside of the Dolls (not talking about sections). I'm sure you won't be able to prove it and will just come back with some dismissive ignorant comment.

And I'm not an outsider, I have more family members that are SU Jags than TxSU Tigers. I grew up in the SU bubble going to SU graduations, tailgates, homecomings, Boombox Classics, etc.

Where's your evidence?

Where's your evidence?

There's no formal audition process for drum major as heard below. You can express interest but it doesn't mean you have a fair shot at being drum major as with a formal audition found at many colleges. Like I said when they want you they want you. The Juke operates like a very selective secret society and always had .. it may have changed a little with maybe less hazing of crabs but that's about it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJMPRPNzZo

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
There's no formal audition process for drum major as heard below. You can express interest but it doesn't mean you have a fair shot at being drum major as with a formal audition found at many colleges. Like I said when they want you they want you. The Juke operates like a very selective secret society and always had .. it may have changed a little with maybe less hazing of crabs but that's about it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJMPRPNzZo

Again.......I know of drum majors (One I marched with) who auditioned. I marched 4 years in The Jukebox w/ Dr. Greggs as my band director. There isn’t nothing you can tell me about my band that I don’t know......

Again.......I know of drum majors (One I marched with) who auditioned. I marched 4 years in The Jukebox w/ Dr. Greggs as my band director. There isn’t nothing you can tell me about my band that I don’t know......

He auditioned privately at their discretion, that's not a traditional audition process. You not following ... the guy said the same thing in the video. They pick who they want to audition for them and the band director decide who's the drum major ... it's not a group decision, it's not open to the public to know, etc.

At TSU for sure when I was there it was open and a fair process. If you marched in the band for at a least a year you had the right to audition for drum major. Also you were scored at auditions. It was a traditional audition process as most know it to be.

Last edited:
He does more than most dancing drum majors do. It's his whistle that starts the band from the beginning of the show to the dance routine. Beyond that, 4 and 5 dancing drum majors are a distraction from the band's precision drills. I've even seen drum majors dancing while the dancing girls do their dance routine with a whole separate routine. It gets quite confusing trying to focus on the main attraction, but in the minds of most HBCU folks, it wouldn't be a HBCU band if there weren't 4 or 5 drum majors skipping around dancing to their own beat while the band performs.

I don't understand that part either. When I was DM every part of the show was for specific things. We had 10 minute shows and our shows consisted of the opening fanfare, down field drill, concert number, majorettes dance and the bands dance routine. The only time that we danced was in the bands dance routine. We came out and started the show with our entrance, marched and directed the band during the drill, directed the band while the majorettes danced, stood still during the concert number as it was the focus of what was going on to show the sound of the musicality of the bandas they palyed and then we showed out during the bands dance routine. Even in the stands we didn't do these dance moves that you see them doing these days (that's for the majorettes), we assisted with the directing of the music and that was just for the games. We had other duties in the band hall during practice and on the practice field as the leaders of the band. If you didn't know the music, knew how to read a score and basically lead as a student conductor, you couldn't be a DM. Things have changed a lot since those times, some for the better and some just for show. Each school has different rules for their DM's which is on them and their program.

I hope not. Women should not be drum major. Majorettes, but not drum major. I don't give a dam if anyone disagrees either. I can't stand to see women in drum major positions.
Many would agree with you secretly, but wouldn't dare express it publicly!
I'll go beyond Cee, as long as it's not a white female, then I won't complain.
I've seen first hand a white female DM at a predominately white high school and no they should not fill that role. Now before someone says; "well Tpop thats high school". That doesn't matter, I saw this same white high school play against a black high school, who's membership was half of the white band and they blew them out the water. Plus the white DM was more of band director role, playing from the field podium. where the black dm was on the field like the DMs in our bands.

We had one for the 2007 drum major position. And why would the director not pick who he feels would best represent the band as the top student leader? Unlike other schools, we have 1 drum major, making it a highly coveted and well-respected position.

If the head director has a female SU alum that he feels would fit perfectly on his staff, he's free to make that decision.

Last edited:
We had one for the 2007 drum major position. And why would the director not pick who he feels would best represent the band as the top student leader? Unlike other schools, we have 1 drum major, making it a highly coveted and well-respected position.

If the head director has a female SU alum that he feels would fit perfectly on his staff, he's free to make that decision.

I don't care what The Juke does, I was just leaving a comment on the matter. It's been around 30 years women have been allowed to march in the band .. I'm sure it would've happen by now if it was going to happen. Women who want to be drum majors shouldn't go to SU, it's as simple as that.

And I was speaking in the present tense, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened once or twice in over 70 years of the band. Traditional drum major auditions are not common or should be expected is my point.

Last edited:

There was also one in 99 for the 00 position.

I don't care what The Juke does, I was just leaving a comment on the matter. It's been around 30 years women have been allowed to march in the band .. I'm sure it would've happen by now if it was going to happen. Women who want to be drum majors shouldn't go to SU, it's as simple as that.

Since you're wrong 99.9% of the time maybe we will have one sooner than later.

To each it's own! I'm glad SU is picked on and scrutinized in this forum as much as it is! That gives me security in knowing just where the SU Marching Jukes stand.

Back