Will MVSU get an NIT bid if it doesn't win the SWAC tournament?

LaMont

It is very rare that a 20 win league champion gets left out of the post-season; however, I was wondering do you think MVSU will get an NIT bid IF it doesn't win the SWAC tournament??

LaMont

Well, they have a better chance than many of our most recent regular season champions. But don't they also determine that based on how much money you can make if that school gets a home game in the second round or so...the size of the gym at Valley might hinder them. If you really want to know, ask Mike. :D

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Tigerpride
Well, they have a better chance than many of our most recent regular season champions. But don't they also determine that based on how much money you can make if that school gets a home game in the second round or so...the size of the gym at Valley might hinder them. If you really want to know, ask Mike. :D

Yeah thats the thing...with the NIT the seeds change after every round. So it is likely that Valley (if they make it) will never see a home game until the final are played at the Garden.

NO.

Too many other "big tyme" teams that will be byotching about not getting into the NCAA tournament. The NIT will snap these teams up first and only.

Not This Year.

If Valley wins the SWAC tourney and make the NCAA tournament,I think they could upset one of those second seeds.

Here are some teams that were in the NIT last year...

Valparaiso
Siena
Drexel
Fairfield
Western Michigan
Illinois-Chicago
Wichita State
College of Charleston
Richmond
Boston U.
Brown
UC Santa Barbara
Eastern Washington

None of them would I call "big time." There are 40 teams invited to the NIT. After the 65 teams in NCAA tournament, there are plenty of other teams out there to get a bid to the NIT. Getting an invite isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Normally, the rule is that you have to have 20+ wins and also have won your regular season championship. Valley is certainly not off the bubble but let's hope we don't have to worry about this. Valley and only Valley deserves to go to the Big Dance.

Normally, the rule is that you have to have 20+ wins and also have won your regular season championship. Valley is certainly not off the bubble but let's hope we don't have to worry about this. Valley and only Valley deserves to go to the Big Dance.

I agree.

Originally posted by JSU/99
Wrong! The team that wins the tournament deserves to go.

Yeah, so they can get a fluke win and embarrass us. Right now, Valley is the only team that I would want representing me.

Wrong! The team that wins the tournament deserves to go.

I agree.

As much as Valley is deserving, the SWAC Tourney is the determining factor. This will not be a cake walk for Vallley (unfortunately).

Originally posted by JROCK
I agree.

As much as Valley is deserving, the SWAC Tourney is the determining factor. This will not be a cake walk for Vallley (unfortunately).

I beg to differ...Valley is gonna be 10 points better than every team they play in Bham.

Yeah, so they can get a fluke win and embarrass us. Right now, Valley is the only team that I would want representing me.

Well maybe the rest of the SWAC should upgrade their teams. Besides, how do we know a 16th seeded Valley won't get embarrased by Duke or somebody?

BTW, Valley don't represent me. JSU, whether good or bad, is the only school that represents me.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Well maybe the rest of the SWAC should upgrade their teams. Besides, how do we know a 16th seeded Valley won't get embarrased by Duke or somebody?

BTW, Valley don't represent me. JSU, whether good or bad, is the only school that represents me.

Well I guess you don't get represnted very much.

Well I guess you don't get represnted very much.

More than enough. Since you're Mr. Swac all of a sudden, Maybe you should change your name to:

TigerTigerTigerDevilBraveHornetLionBullDogJaguar&PantherPride.

Originally posted by mighty hornet
ROTFLMAO @ TP smacking jsu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not smacking JSU. It's just that people normally support their own even if their team in not playing.

Valley...
  • 21-6
  • Next best team... TxSo at 14-12
  • Rest of league below .500
  • 6-4, out of conference record
  • Two losses in conference (15-2)
  • Next best team... TxSo w/6 losses
  • Losses... @ TxSo by 2 pts; @ home to Grambling by 14 pts
  • Avenged both losses... TxSo by 14 pts and Grambling by 7 pts
  • 9-1, last ten games
  • Eight straight wins
  • Most likely nine straight w/last game @ Pine Bluff
  • RPI 142 (out of 326 teams)

I don't know people, the NIT is kinda funny sometimes. Sometimes they select teams that will draw a good crowd into MSG. So alot of times it's biased towards east coast teams. MVSU has 3 strikes against it. Not from a big conference, Isn't that well known among the masses and it's location. I once recalled a good U 0f Houston team that was on the NCAA bubble and was not selected also get passed up by the NIT.

I think Valley has a decent chance at getting an NIT invite. And I hope they do get an invite after JSU wins the tourney.:D

The NIT is all about the money. If your school pack the stands, then your school has a good chance for going to the NIT.The NIT was the first national tournament for basketball before the NCAA was organized.

Back