Will games be cancelled this week

MACKG

a.k.a. NASTYNUPE
Seeing as though we're pratically at war right now, do you think all games will be cancelled until further noticed? I pray for safety for ALL teams traveling this weekend. BE SAFE!!!

Nupe,

I don't know if games will be cancelled this weekend or not, but this incident certainly has cancelled MY plans for the weekend.

I have a plane ticket for Houston to see the Hornets take on TSU, but I won't be using it. I will re-schedule the trip for some other time when I may just want to visit Houston.

Personally, I think that some professional sports may be cancelled. But with over a hundred college games going on, I'm sure that they won't all be cancelled. It remains to be seen.

Incidents like this really put things in their proper perspective.

Peace

I don't think any games will be cancelled after Wednesday. If anything, the increased security is going to make this weekend the safest time to travel.

It never fails... The country greatly increases security after an event like this ,then security(or lack thereof) is back to normal a few months later

Here's the latest from the NCAA . . .

Conferences consider postponing weekend games

Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2001 4:10 PM
Updated: Tuesday September 11, 2001 4:12 PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- College football commissioners are considering
postponing this weekend's entire schedule of games following Tuesday's
terrorist attacks in New York and Washington.

The commissioners from all the Division I-A conferences, including the
Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and Southeastern,
discussed their options for staging this weekend's games during a conference
call hours after the attacks.

"We're going to monitor and carefully evaluate everything, and definitely
make a decision tomorrow [Wednesday] on our weekend football games,"
Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese said, speaking only for his own
league's games.

He added: "The commissioners will be talking to their institutions on
conference calls, and then we will talk again and make a collective decision."

Two games are scheduled for Thursday night -- Penn State at Virginia and
Ohio at North Carolina State, both at ACC schools. Brian Morrison, the
ACC's assistant commissioner for media relations, said "it appears those
games will be postponed."

The Virginia-Penn State game was scheduled to be televised by ESPN, with
Nittany Lions coach Joe Paterno needing one more win to tie Bear Bryant at
323 career wins -- the most by a major college coach.

Make-up dates were not immediately announced.

In Division I, there are 116 games scheduled Thursday through Saturday,
including three major matchups in the state of Florida -- No. 13 Washington
at No. 1 Miami, No. 8 Tennessee at No. 2 Florida and No. 10 Georgia Tech
at No. 6 Florida State.

The final decision on whether to play could rest with the federal government,
not the commissioners. The government most likely will determine whether
teams should travel by air and crowds ranging from about 35,000 to over
100,000 should gather at stadiums nationwide.

"It may be out of our hands," Tranghese said. "There are a lot of issues,
emotional ones. Kids flying, playing in large venues with a lot of people and
if the government says do something, we do it."

NCAA president Cedric Dempsey said the NCAA would cooperate with
any executive orders issued by President Bush.

He also said conferences and individual schools have authority themselves to
postpone or to play all regular-season games.

"The games themselves are insignificant in the face of what has happened
today," Dempsey said in a statement. "Our focus is entirely on the safety of
student-athletes, athletics personnel and fans. We urge schools to make
sound decisions about proceeding with contests today and in the coming
days."

We are citizens of the United States of America. We are the most powerful country in the entire world. We can't allow these people to dictate our livlihood and activity. If they do cancel games this weekend, they will be giving these terrorist just what they want. We must all just pray. Pray is in order. That's all we can do. We've got to come together. Football games will provide a sense of community for us this weekend. NCAA football will serve as a great tool, to gel the country and bring everybody together, i think. I think you'll find this weekends games to be the most friendliest environments we have experienced in a while, if for nothing more than the fact that, things have been put into perspective for alot of folks. It's time out for us fighting each other, you know. If we all start to shut up in our houses and not fellowship with each other, we will be giving these terrorist what they wanted.

I agree with you Noisetalka, the worst thing we can do is encourge this act by shutting down the country for a week.<br><br>The Black Panther<br> If that is the way you feel, just don't come to Southern, we won't miss you.

Personally, I fell the games should be cancelled. I don't think putting students on planes after an something like this is in the best interest of the students around the nation. I know, the SWAC teams travel by bus, but out of respect for those who lost their lives and respect for schools who do not play games this weekend for security reasons, games this week should be post-poned or cancelled.

Sports is just not on the top of my list of important things now.

Plow Dog, you dumb azz... This ain't got nothing to do with sports. I happen to work for a company that had employees in both NYC and DC that were injured and/or killed. There may be 30,000 to 50,000 lives lost, the country has all but declared WAR and you are to ignorant to realize it, and you think I don't want the games play cuz of how UAPB performed? What raised you?

LM AO @ Plow Dog !!

Da Sperm ain't quite feeling your ramblings today Plow Dog.

I wonder what I'm gonna do if there's no football on this weekend ???

:confused:

There was no smack on this thread until you "tried"

Originally posted by PLOW DOG
Discussion Board!!!! Small Talk!!!!SEND HELP...:rolleyes:

Folks who try to smack on a non-smack thread on the smack board then try to hide behind smart arsed comments -r-us send help!!

Re: There was no smack on this thread until you "tried"

Originally posted by Vinita

Folks who try to smack on a non-smack thread on the smack board then try to hide behind smart arsed comments -r-us send help!!

Well! non-smack thread on the smack board! Is this a mind trick by the moderator? Stay tuned boys and girls!!:cool:

NITA! I understand what you are saying. I do not smack on the discussion board. I will not smack on the prayer board. I will not smack in church. But I smack on the SMACK board.:( I'll quit:(

Wifey to the rescue....

Like it or not, Plow does have a point....;)

Don't sweat it, Plow....just keep on flowing! :D

Re: Wifey to the rescue?

Originally posted by Vinita
And that point was ... ? :confused:

Ironically...*I* was wondering the same thing! ;)

But don't worry about it....it's all good! :D

My 2 cents

Not meaning to break the flow but oh well.

I think we should play the games. We need to get back to our normal schedules as soon as possible. The longer it takes the more these thugs will have won. Going about our business doesn't mean we won't or aren't grieving. I feel we honor our dead by not letting their killers feel any satisfaction.

Sperm I'm from OKC and I lost folk in that bombing. I have also been in a war zone. What I'm saying really has nothing to do with sports. It has to do with showing the world that we are strong and no one can dictate or scare us in a manner that changes our fundamental civil liberties.

I did not mean to go on like this.

Back