Will Black high school and college bands go corps style?

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Not in terms of style, but in terms of instruments. Will HBCUs go to contra-bases and ditch the traditional Sousaphones???? I'm sure some band already has.
Just curious. I saw the high school band in my home town recently. When I was in high school "years ago" they were 300+ strong year in and year out with 20-22 sousaphones, 40+ trumpets, 10 snares, 4-5 base drums, etc,,,but I saw them recently and they must have barely been 100 strong and totally corps style with all brass that I could see. I was stunned coming from the days when mugz was marching with tenor and barry saxophones, piccaloes, flutes and such.

I don't see it in the offing for HBCU's. In terms of instrumentation, SU is perfect for the switch.

Frankly, I have not seen a black high school since 1970. So, I would venture to guess that you probably won't see a black HS go that route until after you see an HBCU do it. And, to be quite honest with you, I don't think that is a good move for a HS program to make.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If you look closely, some black bands are influenced by the corps style. For example, Prairie View has a simular concept in drill designs as DCI bands. Valley, sometimes marches 6 to 5 in their drills which definatly is corps style and Valley was well known to mix 8 to 5 and 6 to 5 which was a different concept but cool to see when they did it. I think they went to Atlanta once and played?????? Morris Brown! In like 95 or something like that but it was nice to see something different.

Originally posted by dacontinent
I don't see it in the offing for HBCU's. In terms of instrumentation, SU is perfect for the switch.

Frankly, I have not seen a black high school since 1970. So, I would venture to guess that you probably won't see a black HS go that route until after you see an HBCU do it. And, to be quite honest with you, I don't think that is a good move for a HS program to make.

yeah, we'd have to totally re-invent our shows, how we dance with contra-bass tubas for example,, it would be a big paradigm shift. stuff happens though. Seems like I remember UAPB being more corps style at the inagural SCG also though.

In '99, we had about 10 different marching styles lol but none of them was corps style. Now our director is of corps style descent, but thats really the only thing i could think of to make us seem corps style:confused:

Originally posted by Prof K
If you look closely, some black bands are influenced by the corps style. For example, Prairie View has a simular concept in drill designs as DCI bands. Valley, sometimes marches 6 to 5 in their drills which definatly is corps style and Valley was well known to mix 8 to 5 and 6 to 5 which was a different concept but cool to see when they did it. I think they went to Atlanta once and played?????? Morris Brown! In like 95 or something like that but it was nice to see something different.

6 to 5 step is the traditional and standard drilling count for the University of Texas at Austin too. It's not different in that regards.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing really large baritone sections that mixed (same brand like all Kings) half marching baritones with the new marching trombones. The sound would be extremely interesting in my opinion.

Back