Will any of the D/FW posters will be working the College Fair this weekend?

pv_symbiotic

Ghetto Bourgeois
If so, stop by the FAMU booth and say hi. I will be out there with The Rattlers persuading some the Swac?s finest into attending FAMU.

Fun will be had by all.

The College Fair will be held at:

Renaissance Cultural Center College Fair
Date: Saturday, February 2, 2002
Fort Worth, Texas

Time: 9 AM Till 12 NOON

I am working this college fair this Saturday and I asked my co-workers to inform high school students to attend this college fair. I wanted to make sure that the information is networked to students that may have been overlooked. I am trying to locate people that are facing the same discrimination that I faced in high school. I was told that I would not be admitted into college. The fact that I graduated has haters seriously confused.

I was telling some of my co-workers about the college fair this Friday and I asked them to passed the word around to anyone that desired to attend college. I have this co-worker that graduated from college within the last 3 years. She told me that she is not old enough to have high children and she did not have any friends with high school age children. I then asked her if she know someone at her church that was thinking about college. She said no,

I have another co-worker that says that his daughter is going to college, he thinks that his daughter will get a b-ball scholarship from El Paso. I wanted to say if she doesn?t have a letter in hand, then guess what. I began to ask him questions about his daughter?s GPA. He said that his daughters GPA is a 3.5. I was trying to tell him that he doesn?t have to settle for El Paso. His daughter could basically pick any college in the country to attend, but they would have to contact colleges. I asked him if his daughter wanted to play basketball or if she wanted an education. He told me that he didn?t know. He said that he talked to his daughter about not letting this college opportunity pass her by and that she has to make her own decision, he did not want to get involved. I told him that he needs to encourage his daughter to attend college fairs. Also he should make sure that they both should attend college fairs. Some of us have a problem dealing with the fact that our kids still look to us for guidance, whether we have the background or not. I told the co-worker that I would get as much information as I could if he had any questions. I think that I was talking to a brick wall. I then began to ask more questions about El Paso.

As usual when someone mentions interest in a PWC in Texas, I always inquire about if they considered PV, Jarvis, Texas College or TSU. In this case, this person became very silent. I don?t have a problem if the PWC is getting the child the most paper to go to the college. I looked at him and I thought to myself, you confused one surely you are not believing the stereotype that HBCU produces sub-standard students. That has never been the case. I will not forget that there was a time when HBCU?s were the only schools that we where allowed attend. This would still be the case if PWC didn?t want athletic fame and national recognition.

I will not give up on my people because I reach some of them. I have taken the attitude that I can lead a horse to water but I can not make it drink the water.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
That last paragraph was definitely nothing but the truth pv_symbiotic. :tup:

People can say and think what they want about HBCU's. It's where the best educators are for our kids. You miss out on a lot when we as AA's don't attend them. I wouldn't trade in my college years for nothing in this world, and I dam sure don't regret one minute of it. I had no intentions of ever attending a PWC for my own personal beliefs and reasonings. I don't feel they have our best interest(s) at heart as students. I think all these big time athletes should attend our own schools and generate that money to us. That's the only reason PWC's want our kids there anyway....the money and publicity that's generated from them.

If my son decides to attend a PWC once he's college age, I think it would kill me.....LOL

Don?t be to mad at your child if he chosen a PWC. I am sure that my parent was not thrilled that I chose a PWC. I had reality smack me in the face with a mighty blow. I also was exposed the different interest in life I never would be tried if I had gone to an HBCU. This was do to the fact that where I was raised. I believed that there was certain things that black folks should not like or try. My PWC also made me aware that WB?s were hating because of stereotypes that media had portrayed of me. HBCU may have been at my best interest, but PWC forced me to adapt and deal with the fact that majority rules. I envy that fact that Tara grew up in the 2%, If I would had grown up under her circumstances then I wouldn?t have needed that PWC experience. I grew up all black, so I need that majority white exposure. The PWC exposure helped me develop more that he hindered me.

D-Town Jag, bring your son to the College Fair and The Rattlers will start sizing you son up for Tallahassee. We will begin conditioning your son to love the ORANGE and GREEN.

As you tell I am hyped about working at the College Fair.

Originally posted by pv_symbiotic

D-Town Jag, bring your son to the College Fair and The Rattlers will start sizing you son up for Tallahassee. We will begin conditioning your son to love the ORANGE and GREEN.

ugh, I think NOT!!!!!!;)

D-Town, don?t cut up. I still speak to my dad although he went to SU.

The number of HBCU?s impressed the kids. You should have seen their eyes just light up.
The college fair was a successful. The schools represented at the fair were:

FAMU (of course. We are everywhere)
GSU
PV
TSU
Clark-Atlanta
Tuskegee
SU
UAPB and
Xavier

Most of the kids were shy and let there parents do all the talking and writing. I had to coach the kids into speaking for themselves. The kids were content letting there parents doing all the talking. The kids had plenty of questions about academic programs and careers after graduation. I felt like a automobile salesman at a car dealership, telling a customer to kick the tires and take the car for a spin.

It was great presenting information that was not available to me when I was in high school. I enjoyed volunteering to help at this college fair. I will enjoy working the next college fair that will be coming up.

I'm glad the college fair went well for you. In all seriousness, I'm a strong advocate of children getting a college education. My first love is Southern University and always will be. I just hope that my son chooses to attend an HBCU.

Back