Wi-Max, Next Networking Boon, Business Op?

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Will Wi-Max make Wi-Fi obsolete?

I don't know about the wireless technology. Just got a wi-fi card for the laptop and that mo-fo stalls too freaking much. I don't know if it is bandwidth saturation or what, but it slows to a halt about every 30 seconds to a minute for about 2 minutes!! :angry: :redhot:

I enjoy this wireless technology, I have gotten to the point of where I am going to friends apartments and gaining access to their neighbors' unsecure wireless networks.

Sounds like your issue will be solved when you get a better understanding for the wireless technology. From what you have posted the issue appears to be a conflict in your laptop that you need to discover and resolve. I am hoping that you did not take the cheapo way out and you are now getting what you paid for. What type of laptop (specs) and what kind of wireless card do you have, including the WAP.

pv_symbiotic said:
I enjoy this wireless technology, I have gotten to the point of where I am going to friends apartments and gaining access to their neighbors' unsecure wireless networks.

Sounds like your issue will be solved when you get a better understanding for the wireless technology. From what you have posted the issue appears to be a conflict in your laptop that you need to discover and resolve. I am hoping that you did not take the cheapo way out and you are now getting what you paid for. What type of laptop (specs) and what kind of wireless card do you have, including the WAP.

I got an HP laptop
XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2
Intel Pentium 4, 1.4 GHz
1.40 GHz, 240 MB RAM
20GB HD

My Wi-Fi card is a Netgear WAG511, 24 & 5 GHz, 108 Mbps 802.11a/b/g. The rub is the WAP is not mine. You see, I was in a hotel with "free hi-speed internet",,,,, uuuh as long as you have your own wi-fi card come to find out. :rolleyes: So I don't know what equipment they (GoldenTree) use. My guess is it's 10Mbps and old.

Step 1.

Remove service pack 2.

Many people fell into the trap of thinking that service pack 2 is the fix all. They later learned that installing SP2 is comparable to opening pandora box.

pv_symbiotic said:
Step 1.

Remove service pack 2.

Many people fell into the trap of thinking that service pack 2 is the fix all. They later learned that installing SP2 is comparable to opening pandora box.

:confused: Really? How so? I haven't had a lick of problems since 2.

pv_symbiotic said:
Are you still having the issue with your Wi-Fi setup?

no, i was on a business trip for a couple of weeks and am now back home. the entire time I was there though, i had problems depending on the day and time using my card. i got a wireless "booster" from the front desk and dissed my wi-fi card. The "booster" (you plug it into an AC outlet, it had a stubby antenna and a CAT 5 that you plugged into your PC) was no faster than my wi-fi card, but it did not have the pauses in data tx/rx ever other minute.

Back