Why the 4G movement is a necessary change

bigmanofds

As time progresses, our phones become more and more capable. We can do things on our phones now that the average computer from 2000 couldn't do, and we can do it faster. Checking up on the world while driving down the road – albeit dangerous – is perfectly doable. I never would have imagined myself doing something like that seven or eight years ago. I still thought getting a laptop would have been the best thing to ever happen to me.
Now, here I am with eight or nine phones laying around me, all capable of doing about everything I would have ever done with a laptop, not to mention the iPad that I generally use more than my laptop. The point is, the more we can do with phones, the more we will do with them. You're browsing the web, updating your Facebook, checking into the gas station, and texting your girlfriend all while pumping your gas, and your phone doesn't even think about slowing down. However, if everyone in your city did this at the same time, the network would bottleneck. We saw evidence of this in December of '09 with the iPhone in New York. AT&T stopped selling the iPhone in NY in order to prevent it from getting any worse while they worked on the network.
As it stands, the iPhone is no longer the data network-eating king, Android took that crown. A study was done showing that Android (the two stated were the HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy S) phones uploaded up to 126% more data than the benchmarked iPhone 3G. Android-powered phones are now the SUVs of the mobile world. With 300,000 Android handsets are being activated on a daily basis, doesn't that spell doom for carriers' networks.

Enter the term "4G."

http://www.phonedog.com/2010/12/09/why-the-4g-movement-is-a-necessary-change/

As time progresses, our phones become more and more capable. We can do things on our phones now that the average computer from 2000 couldn't do, and we can do it faster. Checking up on the world while driving down the road – albeit dangerous – is perfectly doable. I never would have imagined myself doing something like that seven or eight years ago. I still thought getting a laptop would have been the best thing to ever happen to me.
Now, here I am with eight or nine phones laying around me, all capable of doing about everything I would have ever done with a laptop, not to mention the iPad that I generally use more than my laptop. The point is, the more we can do with phones, the more we will do with them. You're browsing the web, updating your Facebook, checking into the gas station, and texting your girlfriend all while pumping your gas, and your phone doesn't even think about slowing down. However, if everyone in your city did this at the same time, the network would bottleneck. We saw evidence of this in December of '09 with the iPhone in New York. AT&T stopped selling the iPhone in NY in order to prevent it from getting any worse while they worked on the network.
As it stands, the iPhone is no longer the data network-eating king, Android took that crown. A study was done showing that Android (the two stated were the HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy S) phones uploaded up to 126% more data than the benchmarked iPhone 3G. Android-powered phones are now the SUVs of the mobile world. With 300,000 Android handsets are being activated on a daily basis, doesn't that spell doom for carriers' networks.

Enter the term "4G."

http://www.phonedog.com/2010/12/09/why-the-4g-movement-is-a-necessary-change/

good article.... I believe in the next 3 years all phones will be smartphones/pdas

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
And this is exactly why Sprint implemented the extra $10 data fee for certain phones like the Evo and the Epic. Some folks dont realize how much bandwidth smart phones use on a network. People bitch about the extra fee but even with it Sprint still has one of the cheapest smartphone plans. Some folk want it both ways.

Back