Why Don't some schools get the recognition that they deserve?

So San Antonio would have been a good geographic location??? That's farther than Houston. I just think some bands are sced.

well I can only speak for UAPB, but we never would have the funds to go S.A. or Houston. PV game was usually a week after the Gateway, where we stayed overnight, and other road games like Alcorn. 5 buses 110 hotel rooms and 5 or 6 meals didnt seem inticing to the dean of dollars back when PV had just ended their 83 game losing streak ( because it was always about support for the football team and where would the team need it the most). Actually we probably could've been playing SU, if it was in Houston or further, they just didnt want to pay for another set of hotel rooms. Some bands may be skurred? But we always wanted to see PV. Hopefully PB will see PV this year.

Originally posted by KRANKin98
well I can only speak for UAPB, but we never would have the funds to go S.A. or Houston. PV game was usually a week after the Gateway, where we stayed overnight, and other road games like Alcorn. 5 buses 110 hotel rooms and 5 or 6 meals didnt seem inticing to the dean of dollars back when PV had just ended their 83 game losing streak ( because it was always about support for the football team and where would the team need it the most). Actually we probably could've been playing SU, if it was in Houston or further, they just didnt want to pay for another set of hotel rooms. Some bands may be skurred? But we always wanted to see PV. Hopefully PB will see PV this year.

So you mean there is still a doubt? You were all set to go to San Antonio, now you HOPE to see PV in Houston? Yet when PV 'doesn't have the dollars' to make a trip, we get harped on for lack of travel...:rolleyes: I still don't see the logic.

aint no hopeful

UAPB WILL BE IN HOUSTON TO FACE PV...MJG HAS SAID IT WITH HIS OWN MOUTH

Yall gotta understand. PV's been playing with S phi's emotions for years now. Even, when it involves the other band's appearance.

I'll keep him calm until he sees the PB buses pull up.

:)

Back on topic

I think the Bluff get's the rec they deserve but it's very slim and I do agree with the peeps on here who said that the bluff has a decent woodwind section. and they deserve that rec.

D.G."U know my"Steez

I'll give an equation for the whole recongition aspect of PV....

No good football team= no publicity for the school...

No publicity for the school= no revenue...

No revenue= no money for traveling...

No traveling= no bands get to see us...

No bands get to see us= no recognition.

I feel that bands with god football teams get most of the publicity and recognition because the get to travel to various states and championships. Plus, Blackshear won't accomidate our students much less, another school with fans and a band. Personally, I haven't seen too many bands that have impressed me. I've only been impressed by three opposing bands...

TxSU- only when they play the song from "Coming to America."
(My Crab Year)

GSU- The FIRST TIME they played contagious. After the 10th time I had heard enough. :eek:
(My Crab Year)

and SU- Last year in Houston 'cause it was the first time I felt that PV's band was getting blown on.

I wish that I could see what everyone else is talking about with other schools' sections. I would really like to see other drum lines.(preferably UAPB, and JSU).. But hey, In the words of Prof. Jones... "I go to PV and this is the life I chose."

....... oh yeah, Tenn. St. was good when they played "Hossana"

i think PV gets recognized... it may not be by the masses but I know all the bands in the SWAC know we are among the best of the best. i really don't expect fans to appreciate any band they don't see every year on TV. But if you ask any band member in the SWAC they will either say "they are tight" or "I've heard they are tight". If you ask me its all about the image of your school. not very many people have heard of PV on the University level outside of Texas let alone heard of our band. i think the same can be said of UAPB. i wish we got as spotlight as some others schools but as long as I'm recognized by my peers I'm alright.

As a former section, JSU trombones have not been good for the past couple of years. They will be this year though. They ahve 28 freshmen. Next year, they should be ridiculous.

JSU has the best woodwind section among HBCU's. JSU picc section is on another level. Those ladies can really play and project their soud. I heard the crab piccs and they are cranking too. Where is JSU finding these picc players from?

Originally posted by tbonenupe
As a former section, JSU trombones have not been good for the past couple of years. They will be this year though. They ahve 28 freshmen. Next year, they should be ridiculous.

JSU has the best woodwind section among HBCU's. JSU picc section is on another level. Those ladies can really play and project their soud. I heard the crab piccs and they are cranking too. Where is JSU finding these picc players from?

:eek:

Back