Why Don't some schools get the recognition that they deserve?

I know for a fact that P.V. band is better than a lot of SWAC Bands out there, but too many won't agree because nobody ever see's them. I also know that they have the best Drum-section in the SWAC but they never battle anyone, You just know. But why is that?

I know that we always talk about SU, U.A.P.B., and TXSU B-tones, but to be as real as I can possibly be on this thread, I personally think that GSU B-tones would blow all three of those schools away and I go to TXSU. Really GSU does has a real, real good B-tone Section. I would Say SU could match their power only because of numbers, but Su doesn't play in tune.

MVSU to me has the Coldest Tuba Section in the SWAC. nobody won't go as far as admitting that but deep down, they do. Alabama State has a real good Tuba line that would finish a strong second.

Just like I know JSU has the tightest Trombones in the SWAC. They just do.

If it were any other Year, I would say with no doubt that P.V, and U.A.P.B. has coldest Mellophones in the SWAC, But TXSU really suprised a lot of people with an outstanding year they had. I think TXSU had the Best Mellos out of 2002, but I think P.V. and U.A.P.B has the tightest Mellos in the SWAC no doubt.

TXSU is known for having real good trumpets. But P.V. showed that they also have good trumpets, JSU does too, but there's something about their section I don't like. I would have to go with AAMU because they are the most consistent.

Now Drum-majors? I had to bite my own tongue on this one. Deep down I know that JSU has the tightest Drum-majors in the SWAC, but so does TXSU. I would say P.V but they don't really do nothing. They just look good in their Uniform. But JSu has the Best Drum-majors followed behind TXSU. TXSU has a real good style about them I like. And the Routine they do on the feild is pretty tight too. J-state is pretty tight on the feild as well. I like them more when they march in the Stadium at the beginning of the game though. I like the Height on U.A.P.B. drum-majors.

Woodwinds hands down go to U.A.P.B. they shole be packing them some woodwinds. Su has real good Saxophones.

I remember when Alcorn had real good trumpets. I haven't heard them in a while. I forget that they even in the SWAC.

I wish AAMU could get some new Uniforms.

What yall think?

Originally posted by Harmonical Phrase
I know for a fact that P.V. band is better than a lot of SWAC Bands out there, but too many won't agree because nobody ever see's them. I also know that they have the best Drum-section in the SWAC but they never battle anyone, You just know. But why is that?

BAND DIRECTORS & SCHOOLS ADMINISTRATIONS

Originally posted by WaterBoy2
Some school is just going to publicize their bands.

this is true, to me really the none of the swac bands are very bad, or even just bad. i will rated every swac band to being above average to surpreme. certain bands just get advertised better than others.

I know that we always talk about SU, U.A.P.B., and TXSU B-tones, but to be as real as I can possibly be on this thread, I personally think that GSU B-tones would blow all three of those schools away and I go to TXSU. Really GSU does has a real, real good B-tone Section. I would Say SU could match their power only because of numbers, but Su doesn't play in tune.

MVSU to me has the Coldest Tuba Section in the SWAC. nobody won't go as far as admitting that but deep down, they do. Alabama State has a real good Tuba line that would finish a strong second.

Just like I know JSU has the tightest Trombones in the SWAC. They just do.

If it were any other Year, I would say with no doubt that P.V, and U.A.P.B. has coldest Mellophones in the SWAC, But TXSU really suprised a lot of people with an outstanding year they had. I think TXSU had the Best Mellos out of 2002, but I think P.V. and U.A.P.B has the tightest Mellos in the SWAC no doubt.

TXSU is known for having real good trumpets. But P.V. showed that they also have good trumpets, JSU does too, but there's something about their section I don't like. I would have to go with AAMU because they are the most consistent.

Now Drum-majors? I had to bite my own tongue on this one. Deep down I know that JSU has the tightest Drum-majors in the SWAC, but so does TXSU. I would say P.V but they don't really do nothing. They just look good in their Uniform. But JSu has the Best Drum-majors followed behind TXSU. TXSU has a real good style about them I like. And the Routine they do on the feild is pretty tight too. J-state is pretty tight on the feild as well. I like them more when they march in the Stadium at the beginning of the game though. I like the Height on U.A.P.B. drum-majors.

Woodwinds hands down go to U.A.P.B. they shole be packing them some woodwinds. Su has real good Saxophones.

I remember when Alcorn had real good trumpets. I haven't heard them in a while. I forget that they even in the SWAC.

I wish AAMU could get some new Uniforms.

What yall think?

The SWAC knows about P.V., GSU has the same amount of B-tones that we do and u have to be a crazy to think that they have more talent than our b-tones. Our b-tone numbers were low this year actually. I'll give it to u though GSU had a tight B-tone section this year. get a BOTB's tape and u will see the difference.

JSU's trombones were not on point this year like they usually are. SU and AAMU had the best bones. This year at SU the trombones were our most talented section.

UAPB and SU had the tightest mellos this year. P.V. had 16 and we had 8 and ours were felt more. Case closed. TxSU was a shocker.

JSU and SU had the best trumpets this year. Come on 50 trumpets case closed. And to say that SU only had 32 they were definately heard over the powerful lower br***. AAMU's trumpets couldn't be heard past the 50. P.V.'s section was nice.

PsychoJag

I respect your opinion. I didn't really pay attention to Su's Trombones this year. Not that they are never good they just don't stand out for me to compliment them. I think SU has an edge over GSU when it comes to the B-tone section having talent, But I also think that GSU plays more cleaner than SU B-tones do, plus they are in tune. I like the Authority SU B-tones have in their arrangements.

JSU did have 50 trumpets huh? But they did good to have 50 trumpets. You can't play too loud to where your playing out of tune just because you have a certain number, just because people think you should sound a certain way because of your numbers.

I think P.V. mellos are better than Su Mellos. This is just How I feel because they both have two different Styles. Su mellos like to scream and try to be louder than the trumpets, when all they doing is playing in the same range as them, P.V. mellos play more cleaner. They have pretty runs in their songs which make them stand out. TXSU had a lil bit of both in their arrangements. TXSU's mello section couldn't be compared to any other sections as being the best because honestly they just got on the map themselves.

One more thing, If you want to say SU and AAMU had the best bones then I think you are a lil crazy. Just because SU had a Good year to you all doesn't mean that they were the best this year. TXSU has a better bone section than SU hands down. I don't know about AAMU, but when I think of their school, I just think of Trumpets. I think JSU had the best bone section even if they didn't have a better year then they had in the past. They are more consistent.

But this is no smack, just my own personal opinion and views. I know some of yall feeling me though.

I said I wouldnt post here again but I couldnt help myself. Txsu's bones better than us any year? LOL!!!!!! Joke of the week.

Hold up!

I didn't say that TXSU bones were better than SU bones ANY year.

I said that TXSU bones are better than SU bones period. Su bones had some good years in the past, they are still good, but TXSU has the edge. Su bones just don't stand out to me like TXSU bones do. The reason why I say JSU bones are the best is because they are the most Consistent even when they aren't having a good year.

The reason why I say JSU bones are the best is because they are the most Consistent even when they aren't having a good year.

I agree.
Those guys are good. I always love to hear their fanfares.
JSU trumpets are good, too. There is only one thing I don't like about JSU trumpets, but I'll leave that alone...

But tubas?
I'd have to say that I've always liked Alcorn's tuba section. The last time I heard Valley's tuba section, they were pretty decent.

Woodwinds? JSU (You can always hear JSU's woodwinds cutting through--- on the field/in the stands!!!!!) and FAMU (I like their sound).
I didn't have a chance to hear UAPB last year.

B-tones and mellophones? I really can't call it.

Originally posted by CriTAUcal

I agree.
Those guys are good. I always love to hear their fanfares.
JSU trumpets are good, too. There is only one thing I don't like about JSU trumpets, but I'll leave that alone...

But tubas?
I'd have to say that I've always liked Alcorn's tuba section. The last time I heard Valley's tuba section, they were pretty decent.

Woodwinds? JSU (You can always hear JSU's woodwinds cutting through--- on the field/in the stands!!!!!) and FAMU (I like their sound).
I didn't have a chance to hear UAPB last year.

B-tones and mellophones? I really can't call it.

As for the woodwinds all I hear from JSU are the piccalos. That's it.

Originally posted by PsychoJag
As for the woodwinds all I hear from JSU are the piccalos. That's it.

I can hear everybody.
I can really hear everybody in the stands (clarinets and saxophones, too). Maybe it's from where I'm usually standing.... I guess.

You're going to always hear their piccolos on the field; it's probably about 8 on them on the field.

When I was in the band, it was about 12-15 flute/piccs, 25+ clarinets and plenty of saxophones. You couldn't help but hear them, if you have an ear for it.

Originally posted by CriTAUcal

I can hear everybody.
I can really hear everybody in the stands (clarinets and saxophones, too). Maybe it's from where I'm usually standing.... I guess.

You're going to always hear their piccolos on the field; it's probably about 8 on them on the field.

When I was in the band, it was about 12-15 flute/piccs, 25+ clarinets and plenty of saxophones. You couldn't help but hear them, if you have an ear for it.

Yes JSU does have a dynamite piccolo section.:tup:

Yes JSU does have a dynamite piccolo section.:tup:

Thanks Psycho!!! :) That was my section when I marched in that band... well.... I will always be a Silverstreak! :D

Speaking of "dynamite", I love SU's drum major and cymbal players/percussion section.

All this band talk today---- L, I'm ready for football season already! :nod2:
I plan to check out all the bands I didn't see last season (Thankfully, we have a LOT of home games this year).

Yeah Jsu has good piccolos. I don't know for sure if Su still has as many but I remember when Su use to have like 28 saxophones. That use to look good, and the sound was there.

Yeah Jsu has good piccolos. I don't know for sure if Su still has as many but I remember when Su use to have like 28 saxophones. That use to look good, and the sound was there.

Man now we have like 20. I wish we had more. We probably will in 03

I wish we could get 20. We only have 16, and with the old heads leaving this year we only gonna have 12 old heads. So we are expecting more to come in as well. If we have more than 20 I will be totally shocked cause I have never seen the Ocean with more than 20 saxophones. Mr. Lee would love that. But I don't know. We usually average around 6-8 crabs a year out of the saxophones, but it would be nice to see them get a lil bigger.

GSU use to have good saxophone players back then,( At least as concert band is concerned)
but I don't know about now.

Dear heart,
How long have you been studying music? I can't believe that you would say that Alabama State has a good tuba section. They haven't a clue about the term intonation. Just because a section is very loud doesn't make them good. PV has a better tuba section than they do and so does Grambling.
PV is in fact a very good band. I think you don't have enough exposure like GSU. I think it's all about marketing. You have to know how to market your band. We had a winning combination with a winning football program and a legendary band leader. I wish PV all the best because compitition is a healthy thing.

Well its good to hear about my bands name gettin thrown around here in a god name, thanks. yeah it has alot to do with band budget,did u know that pv has the 2nd smallest band budget in the swac next to alcorn, so i hear. And on the b-tone talk I realy think that ya'll are forgettin about us. ya'll say that grambling b-tones have an adge over southern's, well what does that say about us when we shut them down at the state fair classic?????
i think that SU's b-tones have more range, its just that gram's has the power. (that section leader was blowin on his solo on that one fan fair)

:cool:

The SWAC knows about P.V.,

Grambling & Txsu are about the only bands that have seen PV annually. Most have only seen them on tape or heard about them.

This thread is titled why dont some bands get the recongnition etc... and then the talk immediately goes to sections. Thats exactly why some bands dont get it. There's always one section tryin to blow outside of the threshold of the rest of the band. Or the sections dont pay any attention to each other and it just sounds like a big loud mess. SU and JSU get the most recognition because they play as a band...not as 10 different sections. EVERYONE has at least heard that PV has a great band. I wish everyone including myself could say they've heard their greatness in person. But Houston is just geographically out of place for a band that needs other bands to travel to see them.
What I'm saying is, the bands that have great balance are the bands that get recognized. Take PB for instance. We've had some hella good sections over the years. But this year was really the first year they put it all together and sounded like a top notch band. Band heads recognized it. If they keep it up, others will to.

Originally posted by KRANKin98
This thread is titled why dont some bands get the recongnition etc... and then the talk immediately goes to sections. Thats exactly why some bands dont get it. There's always one section tryin to blow outside of the threshold of the rest of the band. Or the sections dont pay any attention to each other and it just sounds like a big loud mess. SU and JSU get the most recognition because they play as a band...not as 10 different sections. EVERYONE has at least heard that PV has a great band. I wish everyone including myself could say they've heard their greatness in person. But Houston is just geographically out of place for a band that needs other bands to travel to see them.
What I'm saying is, the bands that have great balance are the bands that get recognized. Take PB for instance. We've had some hella good sections over the years. But this year was really the first year they put it all together and sounded like a top notch band. Band heads recognized it. If they keep it up, others will to.

It's geographically out of place? Dayum, that's about the most creative excuse yet as to why MOST SWAC bands haven't traveled to TX. It's still lame as hell, but it is creative.

Originally posted by s phi s
It's geographically out of place? Dayum, that's about the most creative excuse yet as to why MOST SWAC bands haven't traveled to TX. It's still lame as hell, but it is creative.
LOL......Man, I was thinking the same thing. Geographically out of place?!

I've definitely never heard that one. And, just when I thought I've heard them all.

Im not buying it. With all these schools buss'n their arses to get to BR....you can come to Texas....simple.

Back