Why are white people so consumed with black people?

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i guess this is to be expected, but I think this young lad totally misses the point as to why there was/is a "UNCF", "HBCU",, etc in the first place. at any rate, I'll be following this to see what comes of it.

now I would concede,,,,,, in this increasingly politically correct America that we live in,,, it's getting harder to justify "black" icons not being touched while there is so much controversy/sensitivity over "white" this and that and while blacks generally support the dismantling of emotionally charged names like the Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians,,, etc.

I think the black movement and complaints against whites is now coming back to haunt black society just like the UN coming back to haunt U.S./Bush war efforts. This is why I asked in a previous post a couple of months ago should HBCUs change the name or simply drop the "Black". If the overwhelming answer is "no", then what's wrong with this young lad starting his UWPCF,,,,, even though we all know this is simply making a political/social statement?????

Texas Tech Student Announces 'United White Persons College Fund'
By JEFFREY R. YOUNG

Matthew Coday wants to be sued, or at least to provoke debate on his campus
about racial preferences at colleges. The Texas Tech senior loudly announced

this month a new scholarship, which he is calling "The United White Persons
College Fund."

Mr. Coday, who is white, said his effort, which he said would give a $2,000
scholarship to one student each year, is a jab at the United Negro College
Fund, which he argued discriminates against white students. Although he
acknowledged that the UNCF does not exclude members of any group from its
scholarships, he said that in practice the group is exclusive, since it
supports historically black colleges. (While all of the private colleges
that are members of UNCF are historically black, none bar white students and

many have some white students enrolled.)

Mr. Coday plans to mirror his scholarship program on the policies of the
United Negro College Fund's programs: He said that no student would be
excluded based on race, but that his mission was to support members of a
certain group -- in this case, white students. "If you can have an
organization that can serve to better your racial group," he said, "then
so can we."

"I would just dare anyone to take me to court and try to have our
organization declared discriminatory and therefore unconstitutional," he
said. Such a finding, he said, would call into question the legality of
other groups as well. "I would love to see organizations like the United
Negro College Fund disbanded." Mr. Coday said he had raised more than $1,000

so far for his scholarship fund, mainly from friends, relatives, and others
who have heard of his efforts in recent local news reports. He said he hopes

to raise at least $50,000 by the fall, when the first scholarship will be
awarded. "There were a lot of scholarships I didn't qualify for because I
wasn't Hispanic or because I wasn't black," he added.

He said that he will refuse to take any money from white-supremacist groups,

and that he does not consider himself a racist. "That's like saying, Isn't
the United Negro College Fund black supremacist?" he said.
So far, Mr. Coday said, his efforts have not sparked much debate on the
campus. "I expect the black-student organizations to march against me," he
said, "There's a firestorm that's about to erupt." The president of the
Black Student Association on the campus, Martin Lee Dorsey II, said his
group had not yet had time to decide whether and how to respond to the new
fund, though the group will discuss a possible response at a meeting next
week.

But Mr. Dorsey said he found the spirit of the scholarship troubling. "There

are 21,000 white students here and only 818 black students," he said. "He's
being discriminated against? I don't think so. I mean, come on." "You can
get scholarships for just about anything these days," added Mr. Dorsey. "I
don't think the United Negro College Fund is a discriminatory
scholarship. ... He's just trying to do this to get attention."

Leaders of the United Negro College Fund could not be reached for comment
Tuesday. Copyright ? 2003 by The Chronicle of Higher EducationGet more from
the Web.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If young Black people people can't understand why there is an UNCF, then how in the hell can anyone expect young white people to understand.

The problem with some whites is that they do not understand that Black people ancestors did not have a choice in choosing coming to America.

You never hear political protests about whites claiming their ancestry like, the Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, German Americans and Jewish Americans, etc. White people will never comprehend on what is like to experience a system of institutional racisim.

I can understand what this kid protest is about, but if white kids do not like it because there's UNCF for Black people, then let them stay and live in the one parent homes whose annual incomes are probally no more than $8000 to $14000 dollars a year. So someone may say but there are poor white people who are on the poverty also.

What I say to that is I have no sympathy for them b/c here in America the sky is the gotdayum muthafuggin limit for whites here in America. Only thing they need to do is make an effort to succeed and they will have no gotdayum obstacles!!! They already have a UNWCF and that kid know this. White people have a lot of PRIVATE FINANCIAL resources that we don't even know about.

That's white folx problem now pbla, they need to stop trying to understand us, we ain't for them to understand.

There are many different people and cultures in this world. Peeps just need to recognize and accept differences. That's what makes this world a beautiful place. I don't need, nor desire to understand anyone but me and my own people.

They're intimidated by any and everything we do as a people anyway.....I say to hell with em.

Originally posted by pbla

You never hear political protests about whites claiming their ancestry like, the Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, German Americans and Jewish Americans, etc. White people will never comprehend on what is like to experience a system of institutional racisim.

I can understand what this kid protest is about, but if white kids do not like it because there's UNCF for Black people, then let them stay and live in the one parent homes whose annual incomes are probally no more than $8000 to $14000 dollars a year. So someone may say but there are poor white people who are on the poverty also.

THere are Catholic Scholarships, Italian Scholarships, and others which are associated with heritage.

BTW, this kid is from West Texas and he claims not to be racist?

~(your reply here)~

You make excellent points pbla, I wish you would call into conservative talk shows when they are blasting blacks/aa on this issue,,, nobody ever gives this view,, and even if someone slips through, they marginalize it as being "brainwashed" and part of the liberal teachings,, but these are the things, coming from the south, that I have seen. There are, however, whites who would just as adimantly argue that affirmative action has become their obstacle,,,, (which I would contend is bull$hit because I still see about 70% whites, 20-25% other and 5% blacks, if that, in the field I work in.). It's a tuff call,, but one thing I will say,,, this country being so politically correct is a double edged sword and we as blacks can't have our cake and eat it too especially when it comes to nit-pics like this. White's will keep whacking away at stuff like this to swing policy back in their favor.

This goes back to a CLASSIC case in Alabama/Birmingham. In the 60s Birmingham had at-large voting for elected offices. Back then the black said that was "unfair", filed lawsuites, protested, all to no avail, and the whites controlled politics and prevailed. Blacks dropped the protests and lawsuites demanding districts. Well,,, since then, blacks have become the majority of the population and thanks to voting rights, have gained political control of the city of Birmingham. Well, when this first started happening Birmingham still voted at large for mayor and city council members. Well guess what,,, around the late 70s WHITES started to complain about at-large voting for mayor and council members,,, but now that blacks were in the majority population-wise,, blacks were FINE with at large voting! :lol: Low and behold whites in Birmingham BROUGHT SUITE against the city of Birmingham for,,,, of all things,,, the exact same thing blacks brought suite against Birmingham for in the 60s,,, EQUAL REPRESENTATION AND VOTING DISTRICTS,,, to give what few whites that remained in the city limits of Birmingham a better chance at having a voice in city government!!!!!!

I think the whites won their law suite and Birmingham had to go to districts and trash at-large voting, but at-large voting would not have been an issue for blacks(but a killer for the few white areas of Birmingham that remain) from the mid 70s to now BECAUSE BIRMINGHAM THE CITY HAS BEEN AND IS NOW 50-70% BLACK!!!

Don't dat beat all?!! Really it's kinda da same with this kid! He just using the system to his advantage,, even if it is only to make a political/social statement.

Yeah, but DJag,,,

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
That's white folx problem now pbla, they need to stop trying to understand us, we ain't for them to understand.

There are many different people and cultures in this world. Peeps just need to recognize and accept differences. That's what makes this world a beautiful place. I don't need, nor desire to understand anyone but me and my own people.

They're intimidated by any and everything we do as a people anyway.....I say to hell with em.

Many of them would say the same about blacks and the black movement to open up society to diverse views when they contend society is white or at least should be white dominated.

They would agree with you that non-whites should accept white "differences".

But yeah,, we understand that, for the most part, they were truely racist at the core,,, but as I say, in today's politically correct world,, they will come up with "smart ellicks" that can work the system,,, just like this kid is doing, to make a political/social statement.

LOL!!!

Originally posted by SlickPartna
These crackas.... :smh:

LMAO!!! dang man,, I cracked up on the saltine blast! :lmao: ok so the kid's a smart-a$$. care to expound any further?!

Heritage

Originally posted by sophandros

THere are Catholic Scholarships, Italian Scholarships, and others which are associated with heritage.

BTW, this kid is from West Texas and he claims not to be racist?

We need to all come to some kind of understanding as to what is the fugg acceptable then. Either it is ok for everybody to have dey lil sidebar siht, as long as it don't discriminate against non-mugz of said group,,, or we need to dispense with all references to heritage/race!

Personnally I think whites, like this kid, are driven by right-wing rhetoric to do stuff like this just to prove a point, affect social/political change, just as blacks have done in protest of legitimate wrongs so effectively,,, but the problem is,,, given the PC of America,,, any group should be able to complain about "unfairness" and that's where this kid gets traction,, especially among the majority white/conservatives in the U.S.

What I say to that is I have no sympathy for them b/c here in America the sky is the gotdayum muthafuggin limit for whites here in America. Only thing they need to do is make an effort to succeed and they will have no gotdayum obstacles!!! They already have a UNWCF and that kid know this. White people have a lot of PRIVATE FINANCIAL resources that we don't even know about.

Back