Who is the SURPRISE (positive) team of the year?

LaMont

I think it's a toss-up between Alabama A&M, Ark PB and Texas Southern.

Which team has turned out BETTER than you thought?

LaMont

Originally posted by JSU'99
Alcorn, they hold the east championship in they're hands!!!

Not quite.

They may be touching it, but they aren't the ones holding it....:)

I also believe the surprise team is SU....then AAMU.

Alcorn was defeated 60-7 by Stephen F. Austin, I wouldn't call them a surprise team, their win over Southern was a fluke. Southern is the SURPRISE team of the year.

how in the hell do they hold the east championship in their hand... they can win the rest of their games and STILL not go to the championship game... that aint holding nothing in your hands... The only 3 teams that hold the east championship in their hands is AAMU. We aint got to wait on NOBODY to win or lose.

Originally posted by GRAMBLING
Alcorn was defeated 60-7 by Stephen F. Austin, I wouldn't call them a surprise team, their win over Southern was a fluke. Southern is the SURPRISE team of the year.

Well, I was going to say Alcorn, but nevermind. :eek:

I have to go with SU...I personally didnt think they would be that powerful this year.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
I would say Bama St. It seemed it was over before it started.

I agree. The cards seemed to be stacked against them, and they have held strong.

Alabama St. This team is a couple of bad calls from being 7-2 or 8-1, with the Eastern Conference championship wrapped up despite having 3 coaches in the last 4 months, and being picked to finish last in the east.

I don't see why SU is such a surprise we always have a good team but the past 3 years we have be plagued with injuries. I pick Bama St.

I see some people bought into Mafia fools' gold during the off-season. How could A&M be a "suprise"?

Anyway, my pick is SU. I expected Bama St. to finish 2nd in the East this year behind AAMU, and hopefully I'll be right.

Originally posted by Butch Wms.
It's not what you achieve but it's the obstacles you overcome.And because of that,I choose Bama State.They've overcome a lot.

I agree! Bama State gets my vote! :nod:

I am trying to be bias, but I have to stay my Bama State Hornets.

1. We were picked to be last in the SWAC East.

2. We came out dazzling against FAMU.

3. We played competitively with a ranked Bethune-Cookman team.

4. We had a good shoot out with a good Grambling squad.

5. The team has went through a lot of off the field turmoil with coach changes and player problems.

Definitely Alabama State.

With everything they went through during the off-season, who expected them to play as well as they have? I think Coe could advise someone else's coach on what to do when having to build relationships with an existing team.

I'm not calling any names. ;)

IMHO, there is no suprise (positive) team in the SWAC this year.

Southern is no surprise. Improved, yes, but not a surprise. Quincy Richard has played exceptionally well. Peoples is a solid running back and Lenny Williams is one of the better DBs in the country. I expected them to do what they are doing especially considering the fact that they dropped Tulane, Northwestern State, and Nicholls State from their schedule and added NC A&T, Lincoln and Allen.

I'm not surprised with Alabama State partly because Coach Coe was smart enough to leave well enough alone and not make all sorts of changes at the time he was hired as Interim Head Coach. The other thing is that Coach Coe inherited a lotta talent from Coach Cole as well as his playbook.

More su logic

Originally posted by PsychoJag
I don't see why SU is such a surprise we always have a good team but the past 3 years we have be plagued with injuries.

Other teams have injuries. That what depth is for. So all you have to do is hurt 1 or 2 starters and that is it?!?!?!?!?

I would have to go with Southern because they have been doing their thing this year

Originally posted by GRAMBLING

I say Alcorn, because I didn't think they would even have chance this year. I wasn't suprised by Southern because I knew that they would come back strong.

Back