In this order

1. The 86 JukeBox

2. The 87 Jukebox

3. The 90 Jukebox

4. Tie between The 93 Jukebox and 94 Jukebox

5. Its a tie the 1995 and 2003 Jukebox

From 7-20 Its all the other years from 85-03 That are not
mentioned

To all these grumblingnites, remember the infamous 1993 Show with your own DJ Jubilee? He said "Shake it like a dog and ya'll were doing the Beanie Weanie(Igot it on tape too)" And ya got booed off the turf!!

Wassupwitdat???

"Often Imitated but Never Duplicated."

1001 Watts!!!

Re: In this order

Originally posted by SUGrad06
In this order

1. The 86 JukeBox

2. The 87 Jukebox

3. The 90 Jukebox

mentioned

To all these grumblingnites, remember the infamous 1993 Show with your own DJ Jubilee? He said "Shake it like a dog and ya'll were doing the Beanie Weanie(Igot it on tape too)" And ya got booed off the turf!!

Wassupwitdat???

1001 Watts!!!

If you are ranking SU bands then SU 83 and then SU 85 would the first 2 slots. 86 was good, but not as good as 83 and 85.

But I think the thread was intended to name the top 6 Band programs of all time. Who is legendary. That list you posted just supports the fact that SU has consitently had a good to great band year in and year out.

Top six of all time not counting my school

1. FAMU
2. HU(HOWARD UNIVERSITY)
3. GSU
4. JSU
5. SU
6. MILES COLLEGE

OH HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED!

Originally posted by 2Dirty
Only one MEAC Band?:eek2: Where are the NSU's and A&T's??
I really haven't seen them in a while so ,....I wouldn't know off hand. I do know that S.C. chased Grambling at a home game to their buses in 83. Gram. had to go to another performance. That was wild!!! But,...we are talking about bands of all time.

Re: In this order

In this order

1. The 86 JukeBox

2. The 87 Jukebox

3. The 90 Jukebox

mentioned

Wassupwitdat???

1001 Watts!!!

I can agree with most of this except how '94 and '03 got in there ahead of bands like '96 and '97. '94 played a lot more of the "re-tread" songs, and the songs that were new weren't all that great. The books of '96 and '97 were more original and modern to their year. Instrumentation was about the same. I would've put '95 as high as 3rd on your list. Their book was awesome that year. I haven't seen them this year, but there hasn't been any indication from anyone that has seen them that '03 is as good as '95. Every field show that year was crunk, especially the Michael Jackson shows.

As far as SU bands go...it's not even right to compare the 80s bands to the 90s bands. I would list them...

1-5 SU '82-86, respectively.

6. would be '87

As far as 90s goes...it's far more arguable. I would list

1. '95
2. '93
3. '96
4. '97
5. '99

As far as all time for all bands...I would say SU '82-86...no band any other year from any other planet could even see the Jukebox back then...sorry.

Re: Re: In this order

Originally posted by JR
If you are ranking SU bands then SU 83 and then SU 85 would the first 2 slots. 86 was good, but not as good as 83 and 85.

But I think the thread was intended to name the top 6 Band programs of all time. Who is legendary. That list you posted just supports the fact that SU has consitently had a good to great band year in and year out.

Gotcha

Here's the list revisited In Order

1. The Jukebox(Best band of all time!!!)

Now 2-5 can go either way. I will not number them...

ocean of soul(before the Japan incident)
the sonic b(I cannnot even type the o-o-m) of the south
famu(100? Seems like 450 to me)
gram(might as well name them)

As far as SU bands

1. SU 83'
2. SU 85'
3. SU 84' ( mainley the JSU game) don't care what JSU did, SU was still a beast!!!!!!!
4. SU 89'
5. SU 86'...(Size was huge, best game was the first game in Shreveport) Everything else was the same ole same ole

I would only put 2 bands from the 90's close 6ths and 7ths to that 80's group and that's 93 and 96....

As far as the years after the 80's to present....

1. SU 93
2. SU 96 (alot of music got re arranged that year because of 95's small mello section)
3. SU 95 (badly needed Mellos)....but crisp as he!!, cleanset sound possibly in SU history, or atleast top 3
4. SU 99
5. SU 97.....Raw HEAT..(part of the big band era in the 90's *95, 96, and 97)

03 is the best thing out of the 2000's group, but honestly after watching tapes I'll put them slightly over 98.....and over 94....Which is a dayum good thing!!!!!!!

The power 03 has is the starting point to the power that makes you say GAWD DAYUM!!!!!!!! With some extra dayum added....
The years before is the years that make you leave the game cause the isht is too dayum LOUD.......
:lmao:

Originally posted by SUtrp96
As far as SU bands

1. SU 83'
2. SU 85'
3. SU 84' ( mainley the JSU game) don't care what JSU did, SU was still a beast!!!!!!!
4. SU 89'
5. SU 86'...(Size was huge, best game was the first game in Shreveport) Everything else was the same ole same ole

I would only put 2 bands from the 90's close 6ths and 7ths to that 80's group and that's 93 and 96....

As far as the years after the 80's to present....

1. SU 93
2. SU 96 (alot of music got re arranged that year because of 95's small mello section)
3. SU 95 (badly needed Mellos)....but crisp as he!!, cleanset sound possibly in SU history, or atleast top 3
4. SU 99
5. SU 97.....Raw HEAT..(part of the big band era in the 90's *95, 96, and 97)

03 is the best thing out of the 2000's group, but honestly after watching tapes I'll put them slightly over 98.....and over 94....Which is a dayum good thing!!!!!!!

The power 03 has is the starting point to the power that makes you say GAWD DAYUM!!!!!!!! With some extra dayum added....
The years before is the years that make you leave the game cause the isht is too dayum LOUD.......
:lmao:

I'll put 03 over 99. Even Mr. Knighten and Mr J said that this is the best band since 95. U know they don't normally say shat like that especially Knighten.

Originally posted by PsychoJag
I'll put 03 over 99. Even Mr. Knighten and Mr J said that this is the best band since 95. U know they don't normally say shat like that especially Knighten.

I know.....Knighten and Jackson actually sad 96 was a better band than 95, balance wise.....

When you talk about about 95, power wise.....the only bands in the 90's that was up to that level of sound would be a 96 and 97.

All three of those bands were 170 strong.......

Now as far as 99 goes, I was in the band so I really can't tell ya... But from listening to every body I that came up to me, said 03 is a fool....and I totally agree!!!!! But they say 99 was a bit louder...

Now I can say this...

99 F-horns may seem louder because this years f-horn section plays with a different style......I really think 99 b-tones have a SLIGHT edge on 03.....Not a noticable difference but to the JUKES ear...

99 trumpets are more powerful than 03.... But the difference to me from comparing tapes...isn't a great difference...

All of this is due to size.......99 is closer to the size of 03, I think we were a bit bigger...We had about 155 to 160 that year...

Keep in mind 98 was a DAYUM BEAST!!!!!!!... Alot of people that heard 98 will tell you...We were about 140 that year....BUT we were killing..

03 have a FULLER sound than 98 to me, but the intensity isn't far off, I would give 03 the edge....98 anmd 99 wasn't no huge difference but except the fullness of 99....This year remind me of 99 on the power level.....

Now if you are talking about 95 on the clean level....

There is no year in the 90's that should dare say they were as clean as 95....He!! I think 95 was too dayum clean..
Everything was choppy as he!!, that was because of Knighten..
Honestly 03 isn't that clean....03 isn't as clean as 96.....03 is as clean as 99 was.....

I'll point out small things.....
"Blood"-before the blowing part, nost of the band just drop out.... 97 had that problem to....98 didn't...

The end of "Leave Me Alone"---- That whole song be beasting, but at the end the trumpet sorta slop over the run at the end...Very small things....

Honestly ....00, and 02 were cleaner bands than 99, 03, 98...

I won't mention 97, because we were the leaders of the un clean SU groups...

I'm just keeping it real .... Put like this....03 is louder than a mugg.. But I can view tapes and put them in their respective places....SU has a isht load of vicious band, but they all have their places in SU history.....

He!! I'll admit, after having 3 years of BLOWING SU bands that didn't have that over kill.....I would jump up and down when I get a band that sounds like 03 to...lol. He!! I am still jumping up and down..... I mean that's physics certain groups of people no matter if it is the same size, smaller or bigger will vary in volume....I guessI been listening to SU too much to be able to tell which SU band has more heat than the next, even if it is slight differences......lol

None of those bands I mentioned could be fugged with by no ordinary band.....and 03 falls in that category......

Honestly if you ask Mr. Knighten what 96, 98 or 99 sound like...they wouldn't be able to tell ya....And Knighten and Jackson commented on 99 being one of the best bands in a while....But we were comming off a year like 98...we had heat....But we weren't balanced...too much F-horn...we only had 28 trumpets sometimes 26......

If you get a chance listen to that internet radio station "90 degrees" they have 96 playing "HAY" that's just a sample of what we were pushing with our 170...That was an ALL-STAR band for ya....EACH section.....lol... Our 2nd, and 3rd BONES we ridiculous.....Could have EASILY been 1st bine players...the same with our trumpets......

But keep pumping...cause you all all doing the dayum thing this year fa sho.....I mean to have 2 years beat in the 90's as far as power is a fool.....Ya'll have 92,97, and 98 beat when it comes to sound quality....And tie with a lot of other band in the 90's....03' fits in too well with the 90's ....

That's my observation.

Re: Re: In this order

Originally posted by jukeboxmello97
I can agree with most of this except how '94 and '03 got in there ahead of bands like '96 and '97. '94 played a lot more of the "re-tread" songs, and the songs that were new weren't all that great. The books of '96 and '97 were more original and modern to their year. Instrumentation was about the same. I would've put '95 as high as 3rd on your list. Their book was awesome that year. I haven't seen them this year, but there hasn't been any indication from anyone that has seen them that '03 is as good as '95. Every field show that year was crunk, especially the Michael Jackson shows.

As far as SU bands go...it's not even right to compare the 80s bands to the 90s bands. I would list them...

1-5 SU '82-86, respectively.

6. would be '87

As far as 90s goes...it's far more arguable. I would list

1. '95
2. '93
3. '96
4. '97
5. '99

As far as all time for all bands...I would say SU '82-86...no band any other year from any other planet could even see the Jukebox back then...sorry.

I agree. I just was there after the aamu game when the power 03 had was just NASTY!! My boy was in the Juke and he is M Phi F

All we could say after Can You Feel it was "Man that was NASTY."
:flamethro

And the echo afterwards??? NASTY!!!

About the juke from 82-86. I agree as well. I was in H.S. when they played HouseQuake by Prince and Push It by Salt-n-Pepa. This was Classic 86(possibly 87). Just NASTY!!!!

I was marching for SU Lab's band then.

Re: Re: Re: In this order

I agree. I just was there after the aamu game when the power 03 had was just NASTY!! My boy was in the Juke and he is M Phi F

All we could say after Can You Feel it was "Man that was NASTY."
:flamethro

And the echo afterwards??? NASTY!!!

About the juke from 82-86. I agree as well. I was in H.S. when they played HouseQuake by Prince and Push It by Salt-n-Pepa. This was Classic 86(possibly 87). Just NASTY!!!!

I was marching for SU Lab's band then.

What years did you march at SU?

It's funny what the power of SU will make you say... I remember in 99 at the JSU game....A crab from 97 that wasn't in the band in 99 said It felt like "Can You Feel It" was moving threw his body...lol. He later went on to say that was the most powerful SU band in SU history...... It was heat of the moment I think....I know for a fact there were other SU bands that were bigger and more powerful that 99....

SU just have a wide range of HEAT!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: In this order

Originally posted by SUtrp96
What years did you march at SU?

It's funny what the power of SU will make you say... I remember in 99 at the JSU game....A crab from 97 that wasn't in the band in 99 said It felt like "Can You Feel It" was moving threw his body...lol. He later went on to say that was the most powerful SU band in SU history...... It was heat of the moment I think....I know for a fact there were other SU bands that were bigger and more powerful that 99....

SU just have a wide range of HEAT!!!!!

I did not march for SU, I was saying my best friend did. He marched from 94-95

I marched for SU Lab!(H.S.) Knighten was the director when I was at the Lab.

pay attention

this thread was started to list the top 6 Bands of ALL TIME( as in different bands) NOT DIFFERENT YEARS FOR ONE BAND! if you like Gram you like Gram. if you like SU you like SU. either way they only get listed once. geez. and what really doesn't make sense is that those from SU are the only ones who only rate different years for their band as the top 6 of all time. Not to be rude, but that isn't pride, that's an oversized ego.

Re: pay attention

Originally posted by wfgsu
and what really doesn't make sense is that those from SU are the only ones who only rate different years for their band as the top 6 of all time. Not to be rude, but that isn't pride, that's an oversized ego.
No it's not.

The question was asked....the question was answered. If he wanted a different answer....he should've asked a different (and, more specific) question?

Re: pay attention

Originally posted by wfgsu
this thread was started to list the top 6 Bands of ALL TIME( as in different bands) NOT DIFFERENT YEARS FOR ONE BAND! if you like Gram you like Gram. if you like SU you like SU. either way they only get listed once. geez. and what really doesn't make sense is that those from SU are the only ones who only rate different years for their band as the top 6 of all time. Not to be rude, but that isn't pride, that's an oversized ego.

This is so true...but it DOES make sense. You see...it only reaffirms that for the longest time, the only competition SU has ever had is it's own legacy, and we truly believe it. We all know what the topic started off with, but quite frankly, we get bored with talking about your bands. It's lonely up at the top, you know.:)

Originally posted by PsychoJag

Yeah but Mr. Knighten also said that all SU bands sound the same. He's getting up in age...lol. He obviously must be impressed nonetheless. Good deal.

He'p me.

I think I am hung up on the concept of "accomplishments". My view of accomplishments for a university band program would be
  • national recognition/invitations by music educator associations for excellence
  • the numbers of graduates attaining advanced degrees in music/music education;
  • the numbers of placements of those graduates on university programs;
  • recordings and their sales.
Those are things that a band EARNS.

Things like commercials, performances at pro football games (no matter the magnitude), and invitations by heads of state (both foreign and domestic) are popularity decisions from where I sit.

Am I way off here?

In that case then you would have to include the Ocean. Ben Butler had the most number of graduated band directors on the Gulf Coast at one time.

National recognition can come in many different ways. There's nothing wrong to think that that should be the defining criteria but you have to take into account that as far as past accolades are concerned not too many HBCU bands have kept track of their accolades on public notice and record everytime the question of their "greatness" comes up.

Yeah but Mr. Knighten also said that all SU bands sound the same. He's getting up in age...lol. He obviously must be impressed nonetheless. Good deal.

I agree with him on that. It's just that every year something sticks out more about a partciular year. All I'm gonna say is that after practice last night we had old heads bowing down. The power is unbelievable. It's like the band has switched to Super Saiyian this week. Even the Dolls have turned it up a notch. U will see tomorrow.;)

The best from the day it was started in 1926, and now in the present is the one and the only "World Famed" Tiger Marching Band of Grambling State University

My Deep Brother

Originally posted by dacontinent
I think I am hung up on the concept of "accomplishments". My view of accomplishments for a university band program would be
  • national recognition/invitations by music educator associations for excellence

Things like commercials, performances at pro football games (no matter the magnitude), and invitations by heads of state (both foreign and domestic) are popularity decisions from where I sit.

Am I way off here?
I see your point. I don't know if that was wfgsu's criteria for this thread but, information of this sort requires research that might be hard to come by.

Re: He'p me.

Originally posted by dacontinent

Am I way off here?

A little bit.

You see...certain "accomplishments" can be misleading. Prime example would be Grumbling. They don't even remotely resemble what we call a GOOD marching band, and I think everyone outside of GSU would agree. Yet they are appearing on Drumline, getting lots of commercial deals, and the list goes on. That can create the illusion to people that are not "in the know" that Grumbling is actually deserving of these deals. We all know better though. The truth is that these people in charge of these things have already asked SU, FAMU, and JSU before they even get to GSU.

Furthermore, other "accomplishments" that you list, like the success of music majors and their placement into music programs and administration accoss the county cannot be accurately measured by anyone here. Does anyone here have a roster of every band member that has ever come through their program, what their major was, and where they are today??? I don't think so. Additionally, your idea of judging by accomplishments doesn't take into account programs like SU's, where the percentage of music majors in the marching band are rather low due to the lack of scholarships offered.

Re: Re: He'p me.

A little bit.

You see...certain "accomplishments" can be misleading. Prime example would be Grumbling. They don't even remotely resemble what we call a GOOD marching band, and I think everyone outside of GSU would agree. Yet they are appearing on Drumline, getting lots of commercial deals, and the list goes on. That can create the illusion to people that are not "in the know" that Grumbling is actually deserving of these deals. We all know better though. The truth is that these people in charge of these things have already asked SU, FAMU, and JSU before they even get to GSU.

Could you please tell me why you had to go there???? Grambling has not always been this way and we are trying to get it back to where we are suppose to be. Furthermore,... I don't agree with your statement!!!!! At All!!!!

Back