Who’s Winning? Why HBCU Athletic Branding Strategies Matter

Are you saying none have sports management offerings? If I understand you correctly, I can vouch for certain Texas Southern does. According to the following link several other HBCUs do as well:
http://hbculifestyle.com/sport-management-program-hbcu/

I stand corrected..When I searched for HBCUs, only GSU came up and they only have a master's program. I will definitely attend one of these schools after I finish my undergrads..

Hopefully these programs are filled with people who are passionate about our schools and want to help improve them, and not run off to the SEC or BIG 10

I stand corrected..When I searched for HBCUs, only GSU came up and they only have a master's program. I will definitely attend one of these schools after I finish my undergrads..

Hopefully these programs are filled with people who are passionate about our schools and want to help improve them, and not run off to the SEC or BIG 10

FAMU has a Sport Management masters program as welll

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Here is Mike Gundy thinking about marketing even while going rattlesnake hunting with his kids during spring break.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra...cle_46234011-7e9d-528e-8d87-49fc5953f206.html

"When I was going out there, there wasn't any plan to use it for marketing," he said. "I do a lot of things for marketing -- I'm not going to deny that. That wasn't the plan, but when I got there and saw it, I was like this is a great marketing tool."

Gundy said he immediately implored one of his sons to share the photo he'd taken of his dad so the image could be posted on social media.

"Because that reaches the audience that we need to reach and it's marketing," he said."That's what it is."

We need to start outsourcing a lot of these functions. Get a marketing firm on contract and let them use their resources to perform the work.

We simply dont have the staffing with the capability to do this the way it needs to be done.
If we do not have the staffing that is a great indicator that we do not have the finances either. Marketing firms do not work for free and many do not work cheaply. There are other ways to skin this cat that may not cost an arm and a leg. We just need to think out side of the box.

If we do not have the staffing that is a great indicator that we do not have the finances either. Marketing firms do not work for free and many do not work cheaply. There are other ways to skin this cat that may not cost an arm and a leg. We just need to think out side of the box.

If there are finances for starting lineup of $150,000 VPs, there's enough for a staff of three people that cost $35,000 to $45,000 each.

Our problems aren't finances. It's priorities.

If there are finances for starting lineup of $150,000 VPs, there's enough for a staff of three people that cost $35,000 to $45,000 each.

Our problems aren't finances. It's priorities.
Okay...going your lowest cost of $35,000...multiply that times three that is $105,000 plus benefits.

Another problem we have... we dont have enough people under age 35 making decisions on content and direction.

If the decision makers are ages 45 to 65, they're going to use the tools and strategy they feel most comfortable with, rather than delegating to keep up with the current times.

90% of our issues are structural people problems

Preach brother!

None of this matters if university leaders keep sabotaging their athletic departments and robbing their athletes of a quality experience.

If they did imo we would have an hbcu mid major fbs conference. The right vision just has to be implemented along with new ideas!

In Gundy's case it's self-promotion not marketing as OSU cashes in the tv checks just for being in the Big 12 and there will be some outlet looking to cash in just because. There will always be interest on that level for the smallest of things to get ahead

Brian Jenskins did a MMA fight a few years back but it didn't net the same interest

Back