Which SWAC Coach Will Step Up and Dominate..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by mighty hornet
If you post your opinion, expect people to say something about that opinion (especially when it's not grounded in reality)
In the same paragraph where you question whether Bell is even head coach material and how he has to "learn" how to be a head coach, you go on to state that he will dominate the SWAC.

There you go again, mh. Didn't I tell you to stop making sense?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by HBCUs
Actually this is where I disagree with TP's assessment. I thought Grambling's offense was actually better then (at least from an efficiency standpoint) than it is now because they had a legitimate running game that season and therefore could control the tempo of games. I don't necessarily think Gram had a great offense in terms of being explosive, but when you're leading most of your games you don't have to be explosive. (Maybe I'm just biased to run-based offenses, but hey.)

By the same token I didn't think JSU's offense was very good that year despite the fact we racked up yardage and scored a lot of points. For all the good things the offense did, it also cost us dearly against good competition.

Offense is in the eye of the beholder.

In 2000, they did not have a running game. In 2001, our defense was horrible and they were not able to move the ball that well. That was also a game where Kent was limping from the injury he got in the SU game. I was not impressed with the GSU offense in 2000 and 2001. Defense wins championships and that is how they did it.

Originally posted by AAMU Alum
There you go again, mh. Didn't I tell you to stop making sense?

I said that Johnny Thomas had to learn how to be a Head Coach too but once he learned, he beat every coach then and now in the SWAC except for Hughes, Doug and Coe. So MH made not point.

LOL@MAC and Alum
:emlaugh::emlaugh:

I'm gon leave TP and his logic alone.

and TP,
For the record, if you start a topic and say good morning, I wouldn't think it was about Bell. I would just say "good morning TP"

:goof:

Originally posted by Tigerpride
In 2000, they did not have a running game. In 2001, our defense was horrible and they were not able to move the ball that well. That was also a game where Kent was limping from the injury he got in the SU game. I was not impressed with the GSU offense in 2000 and 2001. Defense wins championships and that is how they did it.

Is that the same game he threw 4 or 5 Kints'?
:lmao: you think we care what you think? :lmao:

Originally posted by COACH
Is that the same game he threw 4 or 5 Kints'?
:lmao: you think we care what you think? :lmao:

Yep, that was the night. you said on our side of the field and kept the ball but you could not do anything with it when you got it...

Yep, that was the night. you said on our side of the field and kept the ball but you could not do anything with it when you got it...

So jsu won that game right?

Well Pete had nothing to do with any coaching changes at JSU. Big Daddy won 2 SWAC titles while Pete was the coach and a BCF while Pete was at SU. Hughes had a 3-2 record against Pete. I would love to have seen what Big Daddy would have done with that 1999 team that he assembled but never got to coach.

That's right he won two and guess who was winning the rest?

You continue to show how little you really know about what's going on in the conference. When Pete was on that 30 game stretch and had won two SWAC titles, he had beaten Big Daddy 93,96,97, & 98 the wheels were in motion.

If you recall (try hard now) that's when Jsu put cut the legs from under him and put hughes on an interim base and Pete just kindly oblige my beaten him twice in the same year.

Now while Jsu won games on Su's down year they "NEVER" won a championship and that's the measuring stick that's has always been use to determine dominance.

If you don't think so just ask any of your alums who don't see with rose colored glasses, or most you be reminded where the SWAC trophy's home has been the last 7 yrs?

Originally posted by Bengal E
Well I'll go on and say it. Because that's what this topic was created for.......

Jones will rule the SWAC and run off about 5 championships in a row.......He will dominate!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: sheesh!!!

How can you have a discussion about who will be the next coach to dominate when....

a) 40% of the coaches have not coached a SWAC game yet
b) 20% are beginning their second season. We honestly don't know if winning will be the norm for Coe or losing the norm for Bell
c) 20% are just going into their 3rd year.

That's 80% of the coaches being there 3 yrs or less! How can they establish dominace? The most they can do is show a progressive win total year by year and that's just Totten and Jones. And no matter how you slice it, their first year is going to be looked at as playing with the other coaches players whether the record is good or bad.

Of course Pete is the most dominant coach. Winning the conference championship 50% of the time of your tenure is impressive. Same with Doug.

But honestly, everybody else had not been there long enough or given us a good idea enough to warrant them being possibly dominant. Now if you want to go off of supposition go ahead, but don't get upset when people express their opinion and believe in their own coach.

Typical.......... :smh:

When you win football games you get to keep your job for 12 years or get promoted to the NFL. So to dominate the SWAC you must win football games, alot of them. Then you will keep your job.

Originally posted by bluedog
That's right he won two and gues who was winning the rest?

If you recall (try hard now) that's when Jsu put cut the legs from under him and put hughes on an interim base and Pete just kindly oblige my beaten him twice n the same year.

:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Trust me everybody understands your confused.

Tell me again about how Hughes became interim coach.

Also, even though Big Daddy was not beating Pete and winning the SWAC, he was still beating good teams and slaughering the ones that were sub-par like Gram.

Lost to Pete in 1993
He beat Pete in 94
won the SWAC in 95
won the SWAC in 96
went to the playoffs and beat the reigning HB champ (thanks SU) in 1997
Lost to Pete in 1998

Those are the only years you can compare the two. I don't call those poor accomplishments during Petes tenure

Let's not forget that GRAMBLING is still LOADED and they had one "L" of a recruiting year!!!! The point I am making here is that, if GRAM can move the Chess pieces correctly they might be looking at another 3-peat situation. It will all depend on wether there is pressure to keep the HC job in the 'GRAM Family' (anyone who has ties or played for GRAM) or go outside of the family and get a proven Coach with name recognition and leadership abilities??

I think we all realize that the only SWAC teams that have beaten GRAM the last few years have been ALABAMA STATE and SOUTHRN U. But keep in mind that, except for this year ASU and SU beating them did not stop them from dominating the SWAC as a whole?? The question still remains, which COACH will step up and dominate the SWAC the way Doug and GRAM did the past three (3) years??

In the world of sports, coaches have developed a philosophy of not listening to fans. They really believe that fans don't understand the game of football.

I would like to know as a football fan have you ever heard this statement that fans don't know what they are talking about, since you have been attending football?

If we as fans witness the same mistakes being made week after week do we continue to support what can be classified as poor play or coaching?

What do we expect to see on Saturday, the final score or how the game was won or lost?

If a coach is serving as his own offensive coordinator and refuse to hire an offensive coordinator based on fan recommendations, does that mean there in no one better at being the offensive coordinator position than he is? This question is based on the fact that the fan has a good working knowledge of the game or has played the game.

Based on the type of offenses and defenses we see in the SWAC, who has the most entertaining game that we like watching. For example, Alabama St. failed to score three times in the SCG because the players dropped the ball. Do you consider the fact that they had an outstanding scheme that defeated the defense, but the players were put in position to win. A team may win or lose a game but it may not be an indication on how great the team played. So the final score may be the result of some unfortunate plays that were not made.

Pete can be considered the best coach because of record, but I believe he will be challenged in 2004 by GSU, Alcorn, Ala St and AAMU.

I don't believe anyone will dominate the SWAC in the next four years.

Originally posted by STRAWDOG
Let's not forget that GRAMBLING is still LOADED and they had one "L" of a recruiting year!!!! The point I am making here is that, if GRAM can move the Chess pieces correctly they might be looking at another 3-peat situation. It will all depend on wether there is pressure to keep the HC job in the 'GRAM Family' (anyone who has ties or played for GRAM) or go outside of the family and get a proven Coach with name recognition and leadership abilities??

The move has already been made. The annoucement will be made soon. :D

Strawdog, Great points :tup:

If you recall (try hard now) that's when Jsu put cut the legs from under him and put hughes on an interim base and Pete just kindly oblige my beaten him twice in the same year.

This statement has me very confused. How did we cut the legs from under Carson?

Tell me again about how Hughes became interim coach.

Also, even though Big Daddy was not beating Pete and winning the SWAC, he was still beating good teams and slaughering the ones that were sub-par like Gram.

Lost to Pete in 1993
He beat Pete in 94
won the SWAC in 95didn't beat pete
won the SWAC in 96 didn't beat pete
went to the playoffs and beat the reigning HB champ (thanks SU) in 1997didn't beat pete
Lost to Pete in 1998didn't beat pete and that's why he got fired,stop trying to divert.

Those are the only years you can compare the two. I don't call those poor accomplishments during Petes tenure

What you think isn't relevant what the AD and the president thought was and they thought that if he didn't beat pete in 98 he should be fired.

LISTEN TO ME AND LISTEN TO ME GOOD, WHAT TOPIC DO YOU WANT TO DISCUSS? BIG DADDY'S ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS YOU SEE THEM OR WHAT SCHOOL DOMINATED OR WILL DOMINATE THE SWAC?

DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT COACH AND TEAM WAS NAME THE SWAC TEAM OF THE DECADE?

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=slv1-&ei=UTF-8&p=SWAC+TEAM+OF+THE+DECADE

1993 11-1 BEAT JSU SWAC CHAMPS HB CHAMPS
1995 11-1 HB CHAMPS
1997 11-1 BEAT JSU SWAC CHAMPS HB CHAMPS
1998 9-3 BEAT JSU SWAC CHAMPS HB CHAMPS
1999 11-2 BEAT JSU TWICE SWAC CHAMPS

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/southern.htm

Bluedog, continues to show that he don't know jack.....
Big Daddy did beat Pete in 1995 and I don't know about anyone else but I never heard of a mandate for Big Daddy to beat Pete. That's news to me.

The only time I remember Big Daddy being under fire was in 1994. He responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back