what made you go to an HBCU

buckwheat

As I'm stting here watching BET. I started thinking about black colleges and what made me choose an HBCU. The first time I visited an HBCU was with one of my homeboys from the neighborhood. His dad was a graduate of Mississippi Valley. We went to the JSU vs MVSU football game. The game was exciting and the bands were off the hook. I liked seeing all of the positive black people doing something with their lives. After that experience, I started doing more research on HBCU's. I checked out just about every HBCU that I could think of. So my senior year in high school, I started looking into schools that provided the best academics for me. I narrowed it down to JSU, Howard and Grambling. I finally chose Grambling and I had the best time of my life and I learned a lot from meeting people from all over the world. I got a good education and have memories to last me a lifetime.

Excuse me if I'm reminiscing!

Its just a family tradition for me. My mom graduated from Grambling and my dad graduated from Bishop. I'm PRO black schools.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Pretty much what Spirit had sed. It's an SU tradition in my family, and I believe, we as blacks miss out on some things by attending white schools. I've never considered attending nothing else but an HBCU. I wouldn't change anything about my experience at Southern, it was the best time of my life.

GEAUX JAGS!!!!!!

Both my parents graduated from Grambling. It was in my blood from day 1. My sister attend a PWC and she did not get the same experience that I had. She also does not have the same loyalty to her school that I have for Grambling. Like D-Town said, I think blacks that attend PWC miss out. I preach to high school kids all time, you don't have to go to Grambling, just go to an HBCU.

I started my college career at Morehouse, and I chose it because of the academics and because I thought that I would be able to associate with other intellegent Black people. After I became disenchanted, I transferred to Tulane and found that the Black community there was a lot closer than all of us in the AUC.

I'm going to have to disagree with D-Town, because I believe that learning in a diverse environment enriches one's education.

It was pretty much a family tradition for me also. My mind was already made up in the 3rd grade that I was going to attend UAPB, b/c my big sister was in college at that time and all of my older cousins that I looked up to also attended AM&N/UAPB. I experienced the "Black College" experience at an early age. I would not trade my time at UAPB for "nathan".

My mom and uncle finished at Jackson State, and my dad and other relatives graduated from Mississippi Valley.
So the love and appreciation of the black college experience stemmed from my folks.

My years at JSU were simply the best (hands down) and wouldn't trade it for anything--- even though registration EVERY semester was a headache!

I'm not knocking down going to white colleges, because sometimes you have to go where the money is or where you feel offers the better programs. But there is just SOMETHING about school pride from an HBCU; it's like no other.
At an HBCU, there is just a strong sense of pride and ownership that says, "That's MY school--- This is Us!"

:dude:
I happened to attend a HBCU by accident. One of those accidents I can truly say "Thank YOu Lord". In my opinion it is nothing like the Black Experience. I told my kids......my $$$$ supports HBCUs only. If the want to attend a PWC is better be a "SCHOLARSHIP". I had an officemate that attended GMIT and I could tell she missed out on a lot of experiences...she couldn't relate to certain things. My other co-worker just blended well together. We automatically knew the Do's & Don'ts of corporate america and she was still learning. I also know she knew she missed something because she would duplicate some of the things my co-worker would do. :alicia:

I started at a PWC, Nicholls State U. I dated this guy who attended Xavier, and he told me about all the black folks and how rich our culture was. I only went to NSU....because...Hell I don't know... but I was disenchanted with the elements of my diverse environment at NSU. So, I left school for the Army Reserve bootcamp and MOS Training. When I returned to NSU for one semester, it solidified my decision to get the hell out of Dwight's school and go to my own.

I enrolled in SU. My grades sprang up! I was enveloped in love from my black folks. I was proud to be around us, as I had never enjoyed that before. This campus although 99% black, was the most DIVERSE education I could have ever seen. I would not give it up for nothing! If I could turn back the hands of time, I would have started at SU. My life made a 180 degree turn at SU. I changed my major from Accounting to Physics, which at my white school...I didn't think I was smart enough to do it, because my white teachers brainwashed me to think of how "hard" physics was. I never even took in high school! Not only was I smart enough, I received departmental scholarships which turned into Fellowships as an UNDERGRADUATE, which turned into internships in Gaithersburg, MD and Los Alamos, NM. My life was enriched, improved and happier at my HBCU. My HBCU experience was rich, and I wish it upon every brownskin that sets foot on any PWC campus!

And on top of that I had 5 cousins, 2 uncles, 1 sister and an aunt who attended or graduated from SU. Two of the same started at NSU....

I also had an Aunt who mistakenly went to Grambling in the 60's. :D

Originally posted by sophandros
I started my college career at Morehouse, and I chose it because of the academics and because I thought that I would be able to associate with other intellegent Black people. After I became disenchanted, I transferred to Tulane and found that the Black community there was a lot closer than all of us in the AUC.

Not that it really matters, and I don't want to change the flow of the thread, but would you mind explaining what you meant by this? Just curious. Thats all. Thanks.

My dad always said, "you can go anywhere you want to, but if I've got to pay for it, you are going to a Black School." Doesn't matter because all I ever wanted to go to was a HBCU. My parents, cousins and others are all Alcornites and I followed along behind. I must say, if I could get back those four years again....I do it all over the same way.

Going on to a PWC (MISS State Univ) for professional school was a disappointment. I thought I was gonna really SEE something here. All I experienced was isolation, attempts at degradation and no love whatsoever. There were only two blacks in this particular class and the other one was an oreo. If she could have worn a white fur and passed, she would have.

I don't miss it. I regret it. And ufck going back for hsit! I don't give them a dime and I don't support them in anything.

I got a much more DIVERSE environment and education at ASU.

Originally posted by sophandros
I'm going to have to disagree with D-Town, because I believe that learning in a diverse environment enriches one's education.

I may have missed something, but did D-Town actually say the opposite of that? Are you disagreeing with her when she said, "I believe, we as blacks miss out on some things by attending white schools."? You don't feel there is any truth to this, sophandros?

lol, I wouldn't mind speaking on "diverse education", but I'll follow TSU/BAMA's cue and not change the flow of the thread. So this is my story: When my senior year of high school began, I was thinking Mississippi State or USM. The summer before, I did a four-week NASA summer program at USM, and my twin sister did a summer program at Mississippi State. So afterwards, both of us were thinking one of them. During my senior year, I was able to score a 30 on the ACT. And I was pumped, cause I thought MSU and USM would offer me full rides, especially with me being an in-state student. Man........:rolleyes: All I got was a $1000 per semester scholarship from both of them. So I was like, bump that. Alcorn offered me a scholarship funded by Wal-Mart plus another one and together, they covered everything, then some. Both of our parents are Alcornites, and my extended fam is split Alcorn and Jackson State. So I chose Alcorn, and my sister chose Alcorn but later transfered to JSU. And I am so glad that I did - I wouldn't trade my experience there for anywhere else....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by TSU/BAMA

Not that it really matters, and I don't want to change the flow of the thread, but would you mind explaining what you meant by this? Just curious. Thats all. Thanks.

Sure, I had some very bad experiences and expected more of Dr. King's 'House than what I found. I found a lot of guys who grew up in the 'burbs but wanted to act another way. I also found a lot more followers than leaders. Then there was the level of divisiveness that I really wasn't prepared for. I think that the breaking point for me was that I wasn't really impressed with many of my fellow Honors' Program students. Oh, and the fact that I probably should have gotten kicked out of my dorm for fighting a couple of times, but when it came down to a huge brawl between the House and CAU and I chose not to join in (I don't fight for things that I either don't believe in or have a justification for fighting in), I was shunned by many of my classmates.

Should I go on?

When I got to TU, I found a more "real world" experience. For the most part, we stuck together. Sure, there were the occasional people who chose to pledge white frats or sororities, but hey, that's their perogative. I got the opportunity to learn around a very diverse group of people, which was a plus. FWIW, Tulane is a great deal more diverse than most PWCs for a number of reasons. The Latin American Student Association and the Hillel are two of the largest student organizations on campus. The African American Congress was at one time one of the strongest groups on campus. And for my junior and senior years, our homecoming queen was Black.

Originally posted by kci

I may have missed something, but did D-Town actually say the opposite of that? Are you disagreeing with her when she said, "I believe, we as blacks miss out on some things by attending white schools."? You don't feel there is any truth to this, sophandros?

lol, I wouldn't mind speaking on "diverse education", but I'll follow TSU/BAMA's cue and not change the flow of the thread. So this is my story: When my senior year of high school began, I was thinking Mississippi State or USM. The summer before, I did a four-week NASA summer program at USM, and my twin sister did a summer program at Mississippi State. So afterwards, both of us were thinking one of them. During my senior year, I was able to score a 30 on the ACT. And I was pumped, cause I thought MSU and USM would offer me full rides, especially with me being an in-state student. Man........:rolleyes: All I got was a $1000 per semester scholarship from both of them. So I was like, bump that. Alcorn offered me a scholarship funded by Wal-Mart plus another one and together, they covered everything, then some. Both of our parents are Alcornites, and my extended fam is split Alcorn and Jackson State. So I chose Alcorn, and my sister chose Alcorn but later transfered to JSU. And I am so glad that I did - I wouldn't trade my experience there for anywhere else....

Miss State and USM are not good examples of diversity, but I won't change the thread.

We don't miss out on things by attending CERTAIN PWCs. Sure, you'll miss out on something by going to an SEC school, but you will gain a GREAT deal more by going to a school that has TRUE diversity.

Tradition

Growing up all me and my sisters knew were Grambling and Southern. Most of the people on my mother's side including her are graduates of Grambling, and all on my father's side including him are graduates of Southern.

My sisters and I did have a choice of where we wanted to go, but we all selected Southern, and I know we would not change it for anything.

To each it's own on what school you decide to attend; however I believe going to a HBCU helps you to see your race in ways that others can not even relate to. We are intelligent, smart, witty, caring, etc I could continue, but I think you get it.

We also have a love for our schools that is second to none

My Dad took me to the Gram/PV game in '88( i was in the 8th grade) and I made up in my mind that i was going to one of those schools. After my freshman year in highschool, it was Grambling all the way. My last year highschool,all i wore Grambling T-shirts and short sets. Can't forget my Grambling Starter jacket that i still have.

My Mom told me, "son I don't care what school you go to............ as long as it's Southern period", and that pretty much settled it. :D Also both my parents are SU Alums.

I am so glad that she pointed me in the right direction because my time at SU was the best time in my entire life. Like Kema said if I turn back the hands of time I would start school all over again. Go Jags!

I was headed to the University of Alabama - but family circumstances sent me to Alabama State University. My mother and other family members graduated from Alabama State, so it was a family thing for me too. It was the best thing to have happened to me. I really enjoyed my 4 years at ASU!!!

Originally posted by Smiley
:dude:
I happened to attend a HBCU by accident. One of those accidents I can truly say "Thank YOu Lord". In my opinion it is nothing like the Black Experience. I told my kids......my $$$$ supports HBCUs only. If the want to attend a PWC is better be a "SCHOLARSHIP".

I would say my choice to attend a HBCU was also by accident. I was originally set to go to the Univ. of Iowa. I was sitting out the fall semeter and had all my plans and paperwork done for the spring semester. A high school friend of mine told me that several of our classmates was going to a school in Texas called Prairie View and ask what school was I going to. I told them what I was doing and he had this recruiter from the Urban League talk with me. This guy recruited for a lot of HBCU's and got a lot of folks to attend. He talked to about going to PV and about my college plans. He convinced me to go to PV for the fall semester and I could transfer to Univ of Iowa in the spring like I was originally planning. I went ahead and went to PV in the fall, after having a semi-good semester(failed 1 course), I decided to stay for the spring semester and get that grade right and then transfer as a sophomore. During the spring I got a grant for summer school and went there for 2 summer seesions. By this time the school and the experiences had grown on me so good that I decided to stay and the rest is history. My experieinces at PV cannot ever be taken away and I thank the lord for getting me there. My cousin and I were the first in our family to go to college, so there was no family history to follow. I talk and take my kids up to PV so they can get that feeling and know where they are going to go for college.

Back