What is your take on the Pete Rose situation?

GSUperTiger

The "Icon" of BCF
I love baseball. I try to catch a game each year. I am no Pete Rose, but I respect his play.

I think a player should be honored for his credentials on the field. Bottom line. Then again, when I hear/read all time greats like Frank Robinson vehemently protest Rose getting into Cooperstown my skeptism arises.

Nonetheless, not too many pitchers fooled him as he excelled at the game. I say let him in as he play warrants the Hall.

I have wavered back and forth on this issue every since the ban. At first I was adamant that he should be in. But after all the information came out that he bet on baseball I changed my mind.

All the information pointed to him betting on baseball and he continued to lie. If I were Pete I would have never told the truth publically. His image is worse now than it was before. If Pete had just admitted from the begginning he bet on baseball then maybe things would have worked out better. But as of now, Pete Rose does not belong in the Hall of Fame.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I think that he should be let in. He is worthy of what he did on the field. He made mistakes, but who doesnt? He was man enough to apologize and he's been honest about what he did. What more could you ask for? I also think that if you can ask God to forgive and he does, we should forgive him and let him in the hall....

What probably stirs the pot is the double standard between MLB and the NFL. The latter is more lenient. LT comes to mind (admitted - controversially - to Canton despite his off the field issues).

I wouldn't want for MLB to let him right in. They need to let him sweat it out for a while. But I feel the judgenment is justified too. As long as Pete lied about it he doesn't deserve to get let in. The Hall of Fame is supposed to be an honorable place, and betting on the outcome in baseball especially when you are a player/coach........ is almost unforgivable.

GoodFella said:
I think that he should be let in. He is worthy of what he did on the field. He made mistakes, but who doesnt? He was man enough to apologize and he's been honest about what he did. What more could you ask for? I also think that if you can ask God to forgive and he does, we should forgive him and let him in the hall....

I don't think he should be let in if they keep Shoeless Joe Jackson out. They never got anything on him but guilty by association. Pete Rose doesn't care about anyone but Pete Rose. He broke the godsend of all rules in baseball, it's posted in every clubhouse. He wasn't man enough to fess up to betting on baseball until he needed the free advertisment to sell his book, money is all he is after. He has 1 more year left to be voted in by the baseball writers and he knows that he will never get voted in by the veterans commitee who he will have to get by after the writers. Yes he was one of the best players in the game BUT, unlike in any of the other sports Halls of Fame you must still be in good standing to be voted in. Not what you have only done on the field of play. Pete was gambling on his own team and making bets from his club house office. Baseball is the purest of all the sports and he does not deserve to be put with those that on held to the highest of this stadard.

I agree with fiyah. If they let Pete in which I seriously doubt will happen then they have to let Shoeless Joe Jackson in. They will eventually let Pete Rose in but the question is will he be alive to see it happen. I heard one person say that the day Pete dies his application will be accepted the next day. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame but he has to pay for what he did.

Pete should be in. They knew he had a gambling problem FOR YEARS and did nothing about it. Then, when he was expendable, they come down hard on him. Give me a break.

Let him in the HOF, hire him as a hitting instructor BUT KEEP HIM away from the stadium on game days.

BTW - does anyone hear have any doubts that there aren't others that have bet AND ARE BETTING on baseball that are in the game?

If they are found out they will and should be dealt with the same punishment as Pete Rose. Pete Rose could die tomorrow and I could care less if he was let in the Baseball HOF. "No man is greater than the game."

I believe Pete Rose should be elected into the Hall of Fame one day after he dies? What he did on the field was tremendous. He just should not be allowed to profit from it.

KCPVPanther

Back