What is up with Maurice Clarett?

cat daddy

How do you show up to the NFL Combine overweight and out of shape?
The future of the NFL arrives overweight and unprepared

By JIM LITKE
The Associated Press
2/23/04 3:10 AM

The future of the NFL arrived overweight and unprepared.

So there's that to look forward to.

"I lead by example," Maurice Clarett said, "work hard day in and day out and go 200 percent every practice."

OK, maybe he didn't mean every day and every practice, since Clarett arrived at the league's scouting combine in Indianapolis last week carrying a few extra pounds and, despite a few months off, let it be known he wasn't ready to work out for the talent evaluators gathered there.

Instead, he invited them to drop by his personal workout in Columbus, Ohio, the first week of April, by which time Clarett absolutely, positively, cross-his-heart-and-hope-to-die, promises to be ready.

"I'm going to take these next four weeks and get back to eating right and training right and try to take my training up a notch," he said.

Finish the story here.

I didn't realize that it was incumbent upon the NFL to work with Clarett's schedule. This kid is making himself look like a fool....or should I say a BIGGER fool (pun intended.)

:smh:

Originally posted by AAMU Alum
I didn't realize that it was incumbent upon the NFL to work with Clarett's schedule. This kid is making himself look like a fool....or should I say a BIGGER fool (pun intended.)

:smh:

Come on now, I know a lot of people might not like this kid but people opt not to work out at the combine every year and hold private workouts at a different time. He is not the first person to do this. Dude came in weighing 237, his playing weight was 230. He didn't play for a whole year and he's only 7 pounds off his playing weight. That is not way out of shape. ESPN reported that he weighed 242 when they spoke to him only a week earlier. He will easily be at 230 or right at it when his private workout takes place in a month. Seems like some people are going out of their way to stretch things to make this kid look bad. Too many people want this kid to fail.

Originally posted by jaydog
Come on now, I know a lot of people might not like this kid but people opt not to work out at the combine every year and hold private workouts at a different time. He is not the first person to do this. Dude came in weighing 237, his playing weight was 230. He didn't play for a whole year and he's only 7 pounds off his playing weight. That is not way out of shape. ESPN reported that he weighed 242 when they spoke to him only a week earlier. He will easily be at 230 or right at it when his private workout takes place in a month. Seems like some people are going out of their way to stretch things to make this kid look bad. Too many people want this kid to fail.

Want him to fail? HARDLY! With all the fuss this kid has made to try to prove that he should be allowed to play in the NFL, he sure as hell isn't doing anything to help his case...one by his physical condition, and two, his attitude in general. It's the latter that's going to cause him heartache in the long run. I don't draft any players for the NFL, so I don't have any reason to wish failure upon this kid. All I do know is that the NFL is full of "hey, look at me," players, and Clarett seems to fall right in line with that same mindset. Problem for him, he's on the outside TRYING to get in. I'd think he would want to work within their conditions as much as possible.

He needs THEM, not the other way around.

Originally posted by AAMU Alum
Want him to fail? HARDLY! With all the fuss this kid has made to try to prove that he should be allowed to play in the NFL, he sure as hell isn't doing anything to help his case...one by his physical condition, and two, his attitude in general. It's the latter that's going to cause him heartache in the long run. I don't draft any players for the NFL, so I don't have any reason to wish failure upon this kid. All I do know is that the NFL is full of "hey, look at me," players, and Clarett seems to fall right in line with that same mindset. Problem for him, he's on the outside TRYING to get in. I'd think he would want to work within their conditions as much as possible.

He needs THEM, not the other way around.

I never said "you" want him to fail. I said too many people want him to. I read several articles on the combine in relation to Clarett. A lot of them were based on the original AP article, but a lot of them had inserted their own words into them to "spice" it up. For instance, ESPN's version said that Clarett had reported in at 237lbs, down from 242lbs in earlier weeks. Which would imply he had already been working out. Another version of the same article said that he weighed in at a "porky" 237 lbs. 7 lbs over your playing weight is not grossly out of shape, especially when your target day for your workout is a month away. Other articles based on the same version did similar things. Tom Donahue and Matt Millen went out of their way to blast the youngster when it was clear to everyone from the start that he would not work out at the combine. But look at the two franchises that they run. Everyone basically knew he wasn't going to work out going in. From accounts of his interviews he did well and most GM's liked him when they talked to him in individual interviews. Every little talk radio sports show on the radio is full of callers hoping he doesn't even get drafted or gets hurt. I hear people talk about his attitude, but I haven't seen anything that he has said. He never said "I am great" or "look at me". He hasn't even really said anything about the situation in months, especially since Jim Brown decided to help him. What I did see him do on ESPN was take responsibility for what he did, acknowledging that he messed up but he was trying to move on. I saw that. Some people are mad that he had the audacity to break the NFL age barrier, but Mike Williams and Larry Fitzgerald are getting free passes because of Clarett.

I have been saying this since Clarett was a freshman:

he sucks, he is not that good, very over rated, Ohio State should cut that cancer.

Now its all come to a head. This kid has been nothing but trouble since day one. He hasnt done anything illegal, that we know of, but apparently someone has been telling this kid that he is entitled to something for a long time.

Now look at him.

I would like to see the GM that takes a chance on this kid. If he is lazy now, how lazy do you think he will be with a couple of million dollars in his pocket? Plus he is a Big 10 Running Back. I dont know if the GMs know this, but you should never EVER EVA EVA draft a Big 10 RB....they ALWAYS suck. If Eddie George is the best RB in the history of your conference, your conference sucks for RBs.

Ron Dayne send help

Clarett has the NFL by his hand. He not only broke the barrier by being able to get him and others drafted before the NFL said they could (which has pissed many NFL owners off), he will also SUE the NFL for lost wages (which will 1) piss off owners even more and 2) open the door for MORE lawsuits). To add to that, somebody in the NFL will have to take him, no matter what shape he's in. The NFL can't afford to not take him because he will make it uglier in court.

Last, the NFL doesn't know who is coming out now. USC's reciever just entered his name and I expect a few more will as the deadline approaches.

He has good lawyers. I say pimp them for all you can get.

They will intentionally hurt him when he gets into the NFL. He has made things worse for himself. They will be gunning for him. smh

Originally posted by Get Ready
I ................Plus he is a Big 10 Running Back. I dont know if the GMs know this, but you should never EVER EVA EVA draft a Big 10 RB....they ALWAYS suck. If Eddie George is the best RB in the history of your conference, your conference sucks for RBs.

Ron Dayne send help

Even giving Eddie George credit for the good years that he did have, I agree with GR on this one. Big 10 backs run straight ahead and have no moves. They generally run behind 300lb+ linemen who open holes big enough for my eight year old to gain 1000 yards. I would have never drafted Kijana Carter after seeing him play for Penn State (but Cincy is in big-10 territory). Backs in that conference are not "shifty," can't cut, and take too many hits once they get in the NF of L. Even if I thought Clarrett was the real deal I wouldn't waste a high draft pick on him, especially after not playing for a year and coming out of the Big-10. I know that there are exceptions to every rule but big-10 backs don't generally do well in the NFL Them and Duke basketball players in the NBA; go figure.

Regards.

Originally posted by Da_Sperm
Clarett has the NFL by his hand. He not only broke the barrier by being able to get him and others drafted before the NFL said they could (which has pissed many NFL owners off), he will also SUE the NFL for lost wages (which will 1) piss off owners even more and 2) open the door for MORE lawsuits). To add to that, somebody in the NFL will have to take him, no matter what shape he's in. The NFL can't afford to not take him because he will make it uglier in court.

He has good lawyers.

Well, the NFL has good lawyers too. And I really don't think the NFL is going to just roll over and play dead for for Clarett.

Someone in the NFL will have to take him not matter what shape he is in???? Well, Sperm, that may be true, but.........:smh:

Back