What is something significant that your University is known for?

unknown

Well to tell you the truth, I hardly ever paid attention in orientation........but Bama State was known for being founded for the main purpose of educating blacks so that they could become teachers. That way the up and coming black people would have black teachers & professors to teach them.....considering blacks weren't allowed into PWC's during that time. That is why ASU's Education department is so stellar. What about your school?

<font size=3><font color= bright maroon><b>

Just to name a few things that AAMU is known for...........

- Site of Alabama's oldest baccalaureate degree program in computer science

-One of only three HBCUs offering the baccalaureate degree in city planning; one of only 10 universities in the nation with a nationally accredited program in urban planning ......<i>My Major</i>;)

-One of only two HBCUs offering art degrees at the master's level
North Alabama's only source for the master's degree in social work (M.S.W.)

-The only 1890 land grant university offering three Ph.D. degree programs

-One of the few HBCUs offering a baccalaureate degree program in telecommunications

</b></font></font>

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Alcorn is known for........

The oldest land grant HBCU in the country
Outstanding Industrial Technology and Agriculture departments
Graduating the highest number of black student athletes of any school in the country ('99- haven't heard about 2000 or 2001)
It's beautiful landscaping
It's up and coming Biology Department

adding a little historical perspective . . .

It is often said that Montgomery is the "Birthplace of the Civil Rights Movement". This is quite true, but more specifically, Alabama State University is the birthplace. The plans for the Montgomery Bus Boycott were conceived, planned and executed from the campus of Alabama State University.

The flyers that were distributed across the city urging citizens not to ride the buses were composed and typed on campus by an ASU employee and set in motion a series of events that would change history. ASU's faculty, staff and students were very involved in the Civil Rights Movement. Many faculty members lost their tenure (punishment by the state of Alabama) for participating in protests.

Ralph David Abernathy, Dr. King's chief aid, graduated from Alabama State University. Miss Rosa Parks attended what was known as Alabama State Teachers College which was located on the campus of ASU.

Southern University ....

(Website) Southern University is the nation?s only historically black Land Grant university system. More African-American graduates in engineering, technology, computer science, and math earned their degrees at Southern University than from any other university in the nation.

Largest Predominately Black College in the U.S.

Southern Univ. Law School -- #3 in the Nation

One the most beautiful views of any campus ... okay, in my opinion, but come to the Bluff around 6 or 7 p.m. and then don't agree.

The Human Jukebox

Home of the originators of the 1953 Baton Rouge Bus Boycott, two years before the "well-known" one in Montgomery.

(Taken from the campus website) The University was the first to offer an undergraduate degree program in urban forestry, a growing profession of city planners who make it possible for urban areas to share in the health and economic benefits of plant life. Other firsts-in-the-nation include a dam safety program in engineering.

Well,

UAPB is one of only two schools in the country with an Aquaculture program. The other one is a PWC.

Our Bell Tower is one of the most recognized landmarks in the state.

Our campus is on the upswing because of the Chancellor's "Master Plan" ... in the past 5 years two new building and a stadium have gone up, and the next five years calls for major renovations in several of the buildings.

We are one of the oldest Land Grant Institutions in the nation.

Oh, and it is also known for producing outstanding Divas of Distinction! ;)

I seeeee dead people!

I thought Valley was known for being a dead azz school.......:emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

naww but forreal Im just playin!!! MVSU yall aight wit me.....I got kin folks in Greenwood near the school and what they have to say bout the school is very positive!:D :cool:

Nice Topic

Props to all!!

Grambling Sate University is known Nationwide. We are arguably the most recognized name of all HBCU's

We are known for having the all time winningest coach in collge football history.

The World Famed Tiger Marching Band

One of the nation's Highest ranked Nursing programs

We graduate more blacks with degrees in Biology than any other school in the nation(which Ihappen to be one of)

Same for Computer Science Graduates. Which are program has strong ties with both Microdoft and Texas Intruments.

We are the only HBCU with a Wildlife Biology degree program(which I am one of too)..and soon we will be adding aquaculture too Nita!

Originally posted by Miss Sparkle
hmm..were known for a famous alumnus having a baby outside of his marriage! ,...:emlaugh: :emlaugh: ..

*Jeopardy*

What is North Carolina A&T??!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I run across somethings now & then!
...So you're at NC A&T, huh??

I'm considering moving out that way in about 3-5 years...

(I would like to get this mortgage paid down a little, before I sell my crib + give it some time to appreciate a little ;) )

Re: Alcorn is known for........

Originally posted by Antroy
The oldest land grant HBCU in the country
Outstanding Industrial Technology and Agriculture departments
Graduating the highest number of black student athletes of any school in the country ('99- haven't heard about 2000 or 2001)
It's beautiful landscaping
It's up and coming Biology Department

The University in which the 1st degree was conferred in the state of Mississippi.

Also ranks 6th in the nation in producing African-American Biology graduates.

Agriculture programs are also ranked in the nation.

The "Sounds of Dynomite" and of course the "renowned Golden Girls."

One of the winningest coaches in College Basketball (Davey "The Wiz" Whitney) with over 400 wins.

The first HBCU to win in the NCAA Basketball Tournament and NIT tournament.

The HBCU with the highest Heisman Candidate and NCAA record setting quarterback (Steve McNair)

The 1st University in the State of Mississippi to have a Olympic Gold Medalist. (Mildred Netters)

The Only SWAC HBCU to have an Oscar nominee (Micheal Clarke Duncan)

A profound civil rights leader (Medgar Evers) and his Brother, the 1st black mayor in Mississippi. (Charles Evers)

The Distinguished Author of "Roots" and "The Autobiography of Malcolm X." (Alex Haley)

Just to name a few.:D

I love seeing all of these positives things from HBCU's...lets keep is going!

Florida A & M University:

*The 3rd oldest University in the state univ. syst of FL

*1st baccalaureate nursing program established in FL

*Largest Af. Am. population on a single HBCU campus (over 12,000)

*First HBCU to ever be named College of the Year..FAMU named in 1997.

*Producer of the phenomenal tennis sensation Althea Gibson....She was the 1st African American Woman to win Wimbledon/U.S Open titles....and she won back-to-back titles('57-'58). She also won the French Open in '56

*1st HBCU softball team to play in the NCAA tournament '99

*Awards more baccalaureate degrees to African Americans than any other university in the nation.

*Leads the nation in recruiting National Achievement Scholars

*Largest endowment of any public HBCU

*10th largest pharmacy school in the country

*Pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Sciences Research center ranked #1 in the Southeast and #4 in the nation.

*College of pharmacy awards more PhD's and PharmD degrees to African Am. than any university in the nation.

*30% of the pharmacist in the U.S are FAMU graduates

*Awards more baccalaureate degrees to Af. Am Educators "Teachers" than any school in the nation.

*The reknown and highly recruited School of Business and Industry awards more bach. degrees to Afr. Am. Accountants than any other university in the nation.

*In the Campus All Star Challenge (HBCU college brain bowl) FAMU has won more championships than any other school.

*Home of the most imitated bands, The Marching 100. This band was the only U.S band chosen to participate in the bastille day celebration in Paris, France.

*The Marching 100 was the 4th band in the country and as of today the ONLY HBCU band to be awarded the Sudler award.....The Sudler is like the Heisman tropy in football or a noble piece prize; however it's only given once.

These are just a few of the many things at FAMU that make me proud to be a Rattler.

I love seeing all of these positives things from HBCU's...lets keep is going!

Florida A & M University:

*The 3rd oldest University in the state univ. syst of FL

*1st baccalaureate nursing program established in FL

*Largest Af. Am. population on a single HBCU campus (over 12,000)

*First HBCU to ever be named College of the Year..FAMU named in 1997.

*Producer of the phenomenal tennis sensation Althea Gibson....She was the 1st African American Woman to win Wimbledon/U.S Open titles....and she won back-to-back titles('57-'58). She also won the French Open in '56

*1st HBCU softball team to play in the NCAA tournament '99

*Awards more baccalaureate degrees to African Americans than any other university in the nation.

*Leads the nation in recruiting National Achievement Scholars

*Largest endowment of any public HBCU

*10th largest pharmacy school in the country

*Pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Sciences Research center ranked #1 in the Southeast and #4 in the nation.

*College of pharmacy awards more PhD's and PharmD degrees to African Am. than any university in the nation.

*30% of the pharmacist in the U.S are FAMU graduates

*Awards more baccalaureate degrees to Af. Am Educators "Teachers" than any school in the nation.

*The reknown and highly recruited School of Business and Industry awards more bach. degrees to Afr. Am. Accountants than any other university in the nation.

*In the Campus All Star Challenge (HBCU college brain bowl) FAMU has won more championships than any other school.

*Home of the most imitated bands, The Marching 100. This band was the only U.S band chosen to participate in the bastille day celebration in Paris, France.

*The Marching 100 was the 4th band in the country and as of today the ONLY HBCU band to be awarded the Sudler award.....The Sudler is like the Heisman tropy in football or a noble piece prize; however it's only given once.

*For the past 3 years BE magazine has ranked FAMU #1 as the best public HBCU for African Americans and # 3 out of all HBCU's.

These are just a few of the many things at FAMU that make me proud to be a Rattler.

Great topic kid

How yall forget one of the most important things about our school...yo we got a 100%passing rate on the boards since 95...and averagage of 98% passing rate...

Just had to throw that in cause its my MAJOR:)

????

Did u Alcornites know that the big guy from the green mile graduated from Alcorn with a communications degree?

Yea we knew...you didn't see him on Oprah sporting that Alcorn shirt? Big dude was representing...I think that is the guy str8brave was talking about when he said....the only school to have a oscar nominee...

Yes, of course we are familiar with Michael Clark Duncan as an Alcornite. He's a native of Chicago, IL, and he went to ASU in the 80's. I saw his pictures in the yearbooks from that time.

Michael Jackson grandfather is a Alcornite. He talked about his grandfather attending Alcorn in one of his books.

Back