What happened to SWAC attendance?

tsutiger

From the thread, What HBCU has the highest winning percentage for football? A link was posted, http://www.ncaa.org/library/records.html#, to the NCAA record book. This link has everything associated with college football records except each schools history of schedules with scores. They have the SWAC?s combined attendance from 1978 ? 2002. Looking over this I have two questions:

1. From 1983 to 1997 they list the SWAC of having 8 teams with the exception of 1990 which is said to have 7. Is this correct? If so, what team was not in the SWAC in 1990 and why?

2. In 1994 the SWAC is listed as having 8 teams, playing 41 games and had a total combined attendance of 958,508. In 2002 the SWAC is listed as having 10 teams, playing 42 games and had a total combined attendance of 459,911. In less that ten years total attendance decreased by half. What would you conclude to be the reason for such a large decrease?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by tsutiger
From the thread, What HBCU has the highest winning percentage for football? A link was posted, http://www.ncaa.org/library/records.html#, to the NCAA record book. This link has everything associated with college football records except each schools history of schedules with scores. They have the SWAC?s combined attendance from 1978 ? 2002. Looking over this I have two questions:

1. From 1983 to 1997 they list the SWAC of having 8 teams with the exception of 1990 which is said to have 7. Is this correct? If so, what team was not in the SWAC in 1990 and why?

2. In 1994 the SWAC is listed as having 8 teams, playing 41 games and had a total combined attendance of 958,508. In 2002 the SWAC is listed as having 10 teams, playing 42 games and had a total combined attendance of 459,911. In less that ten years total attendance decreased by half. What would you conclude to be the reason for such a large decrease?

So what your saying is it doesn't have everything listed.....right?

Originally posted by tsutiger

1. My only guess is that Prairie View may not have had full membership status at that time, being that 1990 was around the height of their troubles. (I have no source materials to back what I'm saying, however..... just a guess.)

2. Many things probably play a role in this attendance drop off, including rising ticket prices and the emergence of many "classic" games which may or may not have been factored into attendance counts.

*On a more self-centered note, JSU decline in program strength could have had a significant impact on those numbers as well. During the late 90's, "home" years such as the one we just had would've averaged in the mid-to-upper 30s (thousands) in attendance. Losing as many games as we did this season had a dramatic effect on ticket sales.

In 1990 PVAMU suspended play in all sports except Mens & Womens track. After a big uproar by alumni and students, all the other sports were reinstated for the 1991 season with no scholarships available. The begining of our own self-imposed death penalty.

For the attendance figures, I believe the NCAA stopped counting our Classic (neutral) site games is each schools attendance. If you notice they put those games in a separate category at the bottom of the list.

Thanks.
That explains the record losing streak. PV basically did to themselves what the ncaa did to SMU.

Back