Branford Marsalis
Avery Johnson-Dallas Mavs Coach
Lavel Crump(b/k/a David Banner)-Former SGA President

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ruben Studdard - American Idol winner.

WALKER WOOD!!!!!!!!!
Yall dont know!!!!!

Do reality folks count as celebs? :lol:

I'll gone and include them as well as not-so-famous folks; some of this I knew, others I found online:

Fred Wesley- trombonist for James Brown and the JB's (also MMH)

Clarence Carter- Blues singer

Tangi Miller- actress

Rickey Smiley ? comedian/actor

Tarvaris Jackson ? quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings

Africa Miranda ? singer and one of 3 finalist for the "Yahoo Grammy Moment" contest.

Kefla Hare- reality star of "Road Rules"

Reggie Barlow ? wide receiver for the Jacksonville Jaguars & current head coach of ASU football

Rosa Parks ? civil rights pioneer

Darryl Lassiter ? Producer and Director (MMH)

Dr. Fred Shuttlesworth ? clergy, civil rights legend

Fred Gray ? Famed attorney who represented Rosa Parks during the Montgomery Bus Boycott

London "Deelishis" Charles ? Winner of reality show Flavor of Love 2 (not sure if I wanna claim her :lol: )

They say the lead singer of the Commodores also went to ASU, but I'm not really sure.

Ohio University

Ed O'Neill, Al Bundy on "Married With Children"

Matt Lauer, co-host of NBC's The Today Show

Arsenio Hall

Gary Trent

from off the top of my head:

AAMU

John Stallworth

Ruben Studdard...American Idol Winner

Kelvin Wooten...arranger/producer of Tony Toni Tone/Rapheal Sadiq/Lucy Pearl

DJ Smurf AKA Mr. Collipark...rapper/producer

Tennessee State

Oprah Winfrey

Robin Manning..AMTM first cycle

the Commodores folk went to Skegee

XHALE9802 said:
the Commodores folk went to Skegee

The Commodores met at Tuskegee, but at least one of them attended, and graduated from Alabama State University.

Walter Orange, who wrote and sang on "Brick House" by the Commodores is an Alabama State University graduate. His daughter followed in her famous father's footsteps, and also graduated from ASU this past year. :tup:

Let me add Ralph David Abernathy, famous Civil Rights Leader to the list of those who also graduated from Alabama State University.

One more (Bama State got so many, I just keep thinking of 'em :emlaugh: ) . . .

Erskine Hawkins.

If you know Jazz, then you'll recognize the name. Erskine Hawkins wrote what was for years the best selling Jazz record of all time - Tuxedo Junction. Tuxedo Junction, by the way is located in Erskine Hawkins' hometown of Birmingham, Alabama (Ensley).

Erskine Hawkins formed a band known as the Bama State Collegians back in the 1930's. They eventually moved to New York where the band was re-named The Erskine Hawkins Band.

He was a true Legend of Jazz.

soooo wouldn't that mean they went there?

The majority of the Commodores went there, but Walter Orange graduated from ASU. Whether or not he ever attended TU, I don't know. But I do know that he graduated from ASU.

Also, just because you meet someone at a particualar place, doesn't mean you attended school there. Tuskegee is only 30 minutes from Bama State. I've met a lot of people there over the years, but I didn't attend school there.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Walter Orange, who wrote and sang on "Brick House" by the Commodores is an Alabama State University graduate. His daughter followed in her famous father's footsteps, and also graduated from ASU this past year. :tup:

Dat's the one! :nod: I remember he was doing the pre-game show at either the MCC in 95 or the first season opener which was played in B'ham that same year. But anyway, do I remember it was hot as fucc and Walter gave us a shout out when we were marching into the stadium. :tup:

He also performed "Brick House" with the band at Turkey Day 99.

The majority of the Commodores went there, but Walter Orange graduated from ASU. Whether or not he ever attended TU, I don't know. But I do know that he graduated from ASU.

Also, just because you meet someone at a particualar place, doesn't mean you attended school there. Tuskegee is only 30 minutes from Bama State. I've met a lot of people there over the years, but I didn't attend school there.

You are correct Duece. I think Orange just met them there but was at Bama State the whole time.

The majority of the Commodores went there

which is what i thought i said...to Yvette. i've read and seen documentaries that state they(as in the group) went/graduated from Tuskegee, so i wasn't stating what i said based on you saying they met there. :tup: and thank for the history lesson, but i'm well aware of where Tuskegee is located, i have a 2 cousins and an aunt who graduated from there. :tup:

what were you doing @ Tuskegee?

:teleport: :lol:

Anyway, I found info on Walter Orange:

http://hem.bredband.net/funkyflyy/commodores/walter.html

Before Walter "Clyde" Orange joined the Commodores in the summer of 1969, he sang and played drums in his own group called The J-Notes. Walter, who was influenced by jazz, hailed from Florida and began playing drums in junior high-school. He was the only Commodore that majored in music, but not at The Tuskegee Institute like the others, Walter graduated from Alabama State College (he was three years older than the other guys in The Commodores too). Initially "Clyde" was the group's lead vocalist, only occasionally sharing the microphone with Lionel Richie. Eventually, Lionel became more and more featured as the lead singer, especially on the ballads. But Walter sang lead on many of The Commodores' funkiest uptempo numbers, such as "Young Girls Are My Weakness", "Brick House" and "Too Hot Ta Trot".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back