What does it mean to keep the Sabbath Day holy?

Kendrick

Administrator
Staff member
I know we are supposed to attend church or some sort of worship service that day. However, what else are we supposed to do?

Some say we can't work, play sports, go to the movies or entertain ourselves. Others say as long as we are praying and worshiping God that day, it's OK.

What's the deal?

I always believed it to be a day in which you dwell, reflect, pray, honor, praise God for what He's done, worship Him for who He is, and to simply take a day in reference to Him. He rested on the "seventh day", so I always thought it to be a day of rest also, to refresh and re-fuel for the remainder of the week. I think when we don't rest our bodies and busy ourselves with the everyday hassles of life, or when we are too occupied with working, purchasing and/or selling merchandise, or whateve, it definitely takes the focus off of God. We (Christian Believers) are to think on Him everyday, but for those who don't, even one day of reflection and thanksgiving can lead to an everyday personal one-on-one worship/praise experience.

That's just my personal thought.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
This is an article I googled that describes the answer.

"The Preparation Day

Exodus 20:8
says, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." It is interesting that the word remember is used. The Soncino commentary says this means we should always keep the Sabbath in mind during the week. If we are thinking about the Sabbath, then we will begin to make some of the modern-day preparations that are needed.

Instead of running for six days and coming to an abrupt stop all of a sudden when the sun goes down, we can take the opportunity to begin to switch gears early enough to think about what we are going to do. For example, shining our shoes, pressing our clothes, preparing foods and thinking about what we are going to do with our children."

Read more on Keep the Sabbath Day Holy

Disclaimer: This message is only to those who believe in the one and only true God, the God who provided the Saviour (Jesus Christ).

The Biblical Sabbath or the Sabbath Day is and has always been on the seventh day of the week, or Saturday. God in all persons never change this nor has He given man permission to do so. The Sabbath was completely fulfilled in and by Christ. If we are found in Christ (saved by Christ) we honor and uphold the Sabbath. The Sabbath and/or the Sabbath Day points to a Rest from all work…Christ completed His work and is now at Rest with the heavenly Father. We (who are saved) rest (and will rest) in Christ from our failed works, for no work of man is acceptable by God only in Christ are we made acceptable. Again, the Sabbath points to Christ and His rest from work and those not in Christ will not see His rest (life in eternity).

Hebrews 3:7-11. Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years. Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)

The first day of the week was the day the early Church gathered for worship for it was the day of Christ resurrection. The first day of the week is also mentioned in the New Testament as “The Lord’s Day.

Mark 16:9. Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

Revelation 1:10. I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet

The Sabbath was never observed, promoted or practiced by the early Church; it was fulfilled by Christ. When the source of a shadow is reveal, we have no need for the shadow.

Colossians 2:16-17. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Note: Many will say that keeping the Sabbath Day is for us under grace, I would just ask them to read the Sabbath Day requirements (Exodus 20:10/ Exodus 31:15-16/ Numbers 15:32). Under Grace, we are guided by the Holy Spirit, which leads us to live Holy everyday.

Sabbath Day (Exodus 20:10-11/ Deuteronomy 5:15) - The Sabbath Day was a day of rest in honor and practice of God’s resting after His labor of creation and God’s work of delivering Israel from bondage (rest from slavery). This all points to the finish work of Christ and to Christ as the deliverer of man from the bondage of sin. Christ is now at rest sitting at the right hand of God. Christians are now under no command to worship on any specific day, but as a common practices has selected the first day of the week (the Lord’s Day); this have much significants because Christ is the start of a new day, a new day of Grace.

Good Day and God Bless

Last edited:
So, we can't work, right?
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath. Mark 2:27-28

It means that you need to take a day off in each week to recover: body, mind, and spirit. That concept of rest is alive, well, and a great benefit to you.

You have been designed by God with this need.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: This message is only to those who believe in the one and only true God, the God who provided the Saviour (Jesus Christ).

So, we can't work, right?

I don't truly understand your question; but I ask you, "Did Christ or His Disciples work relative to your question?"

Matthew 12:1-2 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat. But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

Luke 6:6-11 And it came to pass also on another sabbath, that he entered into the synagogue and taught: and there was a man whose right hand was withered. And the scribes and Pharisees watched him, whether he would heal on the sabbath day; that they might find an accusation against him. But he knew their thoughts, and said to the man which had the withered hand, Rise up, and stand forth in the midst. And he arose and stood forth. Then said Jesus unto them, I will ask you one thing; Is it lawful on the sabbath days to do good, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy it? And looking round about upon them all, he said unto the man, Stretch forth thy hand. And he did so: and his hand was restored whole as the other.

You must never find comfort in any answer unless you find its source in Scripture. Also, it is wise and recommended that you have one day of physical rest during the week; however, there is no Biblical commandment for Christians to do So. We often error when we put fort some proverbs, best practices and recommendations as Biblical Commandments or ridget rules.

Good Day and God Bless

Back