What constitutes a Good Movie to You?

LadyLuck13

Chocolate Rain
With all these action/thriller, comedy, romantic, remakes, and other movies, what characteristic(s) would make a movie appealing to you?

Plot?
Originality?
Theme?
Music?
All-star cast?
Costumes?
Length?
other?

First and foremost it has to be a compelling story (plot). Doesnt really have to be something I care about but compelling enough to keep me interested in it. When I can identify with the characters or a character in particular always makes a movie that much better for me. I also like a movie more if the flow of the movie isnt "convenient". It takes away from some movies when everything is set up to happen at the exact moment that you expect it to....like everything is a big coincidence. If the soundtrack is tight, that can definately add to how much I enjoy it (i.e. Kill Bill vol 1, Rocky 1 &2).

For me it all depends on what I'm looking for in a movie. Different movies bring out different expectations for me.

If it's a drama/thriller/mystery, the plot, and subplot are the most important parts for me. After the plot, it's the acting, not necessarily who's acting, but at least be good enough to make me identify, or interested in the character that's being portrayed. Then it would be the directing, if the plot is good, and the acting is good, but the direction is poorly put together, the movie is doomed.

If it's sci-fi/adventure, the plot at least has to be interesting. Depending on what type of sci-fi/adventure it is chances are it's out of the realm of possibility it could happen, but I'd like the movie make me believe that it could. Then the special effects, sound, costumes, and camera angles, and action sequences come into play.

If it's a horror movie, depending on type, I'm not looking for too much but shock value, and gore (slasher films). For the spiritual/supernatural, it's the plot, and characters.

Epic/biography, I'm looking for the story to be as close to the real thing as possible, then the acting of the lead actors, and actress', to see if they can make the subject of the story believable, followed by the directing, I need to know this guy did his homework, and that he can capture the feeling of the era. Lastly, would be the costume's, and hairstyles. Very big for me in these types of movies.

Love stories, I'm looking for plot, chemisty, and the actors being ability to make me believe in the story that's being told.

Remakes, I'm looking for an improvement over the original in all areas. If you can't make it better, why touch it?

Animation, good story, good animation, and nice soundtrack.

Musicals, just give me performers, that can sing, and dance, with a good story as a follow up.

NICE

LadyLuck13 said:
With all these action/thriller, comedy, romantic, remakes, and other movies, what characteristic(s) would make a movie appealing to you?

Plot?
Originality?
Theme?
Music?
All-star cast?
Costumes?
Length?
other?

To me, All above doesn't matter. If you enjoyed the movie then it was good. Simple.

Good acting and directing, cast does not matter. A storyline of susbstance, and a good script. That's why I can't stand these neo-blaxeploitaion(sp) movies. They contain none of these traits.

Plot is key to me for a good movie. I'm not big on remakes... or these tv shows to movie unless it has a good cast. I did enjoy the Adams Family Movie.

northern tiger said:
Good acting and directing, cast does not matter. A storyline of susbstance, and a good script. That's why I can't stand these neo-blaxeploitaion(sp) movies. They contain none of these traits.
GIve an example of this type of movie?

northern tiger said:
Such as? Give some examples of neo black exploitation movies?

LadyLuck13 said:

Plot?
Originality?
Theme?
Music?
All-star cast?
Costumes?
Length?
other?

Plot
Originality
Soundtrack
Cast
Quality Picture & Sound
Special Effects
Having the ability to make you believe what's going on, in the movie.

northern tiger said:
The Brothers
Deliver Us From Eva
Two Can Play That Game
Any movie with DMX
Hmmm I see so when white folks have these same themed typed movies what are they called? i.e. American Pie(all of them), Clerks.

northern tiger said:
The Brothers
Deliver Us From Eva
Two Can Play That Game
Any movie with DMX
Come on chief..come on now... I mean really these movies are lightyears away from the Black exploitation movies of the Seventies.These were called Black exploitation films because they dealt with a MONO stereotype view theme as Black men as pushers and sistahs as prostitutes. Remember the keyword MONO meaning those movies only showed the stereotype lifestyle of the street and the characters rather than the other side or the various culture of African Americans. True the movies above you mentioned are comedies and they should be treated as such and they are very good comedies at that.
Even DMX's movie NEVER DIE ALONE surprisingly, is pretty good.

I'm no DMX fan either nt, but I'm with PBLA on this one, "Never Die Alone" was pretty good. I don't know if it's because it was based on a Donald Goines book, but oddly enough it wasn't the typical DMX movie. Took me by surprise.

Some of those movies didn't look like blaxploitation type movies, but I feel where you're coming from. Now some of our comedies as of late are st8 terrible.

I look at films like Soul Plane (phugg u Suge), The Wash, Cookout, I'm Bout It, any of the Friday movies, State Property, and the like as blaxploitation. Though I like The Wash (don't ask me, but I laugh my arse off everytime I see it).

NICE

pbla said:
Such as? Give some examples of neo black exploitation movies?

TO me it's any movie that makes black folks seem like the stereotypical low-income urban living. And the people talk with such colloquialism that it's annoying.

Example: That movie about that guy who got rich and bought a big house and moved into a white neigbohood...I forgot the title. But everyone in the movie was ignant. Came out either last year or in 03.

Bringing Down the House

Beauty Shop

My Baby's Daddy

AND LETS NOT FORGET..............SOUL PLANE

LadyLuck13 said:
TO me it's any movie that makes black folks seem like the stereotypical low-income urban living. And the people talk with such colloquialism that it's annoying.
But poverty is a reality in America. The problem people had with the some of the Black exploitation movies was that they are one lifestyle that was exagarrated and NOT TRUE. Even some of the pimps, said that when the Black movies in the 70's portrayed pimps that it was not accurate either. Some interrepeted as just long as Black folx was in the movie, Black folx will go see it,no matter how ridiculous the plot,acting and the overall quality was. Exploiting Black talent to make dollar that's was the real deal of the Seventies.

I agree. But when your portrayal of poverty borderlines being coonish, that's when you enter the realm of black exploitation.

Some modern day examples:
Malibooty
Phat Beach
Ride
Booty Call
Sprung

pbla said:
But poverty is a reality in America. The problem people had with the some of the Black exploitation movies was that they are one lifestyle that was exagarrated and NOT TRUE. Even some of the pimps, said that when the Black movies in the 70's portrayed pimps that it was not accurate either. Some interrepeted as just long as Black folx was in the movie, Black folx will go see it,no matter how ridiculous the plot,acting and the overall quality was. Exploiting Black talent to make dollar that's was the real deal of the Seventies.

pbla said:
But poverty is a reality in America.....

True, but do you see a movies with mostly White, Hispanic, Asian, etc. casting makin movies that display that kind of character on the silver screen?

LadyLuck13 said:
True, but do you see a movies with mostly White, Hispanic, Asian, etc. casting makin movies that display that kind of character on the silver screen?
Well we can eliminate the Asian and Hispanic angle because they are virtually invisible on the tube. But what was the last Black show or movie since Sanford and Son that showed Blacks as poor folx on TV or on the big screen?

Pbla...I'm speaking mainly of the way they talk....

Typical African American woman: Neck rollin, finger pointing, possibly single mother
Typical African-American man: Playa, has a drama-filled baby's momma, blue collar worker

Lucklily, some of these characters in movies make it out of the struggle...

If I buy it on DVD, then its good.

Cant wait for Fantistic Four comes to DVD!!!!!! :tup:

pbla said:
Well we can eliminate the Asian and Hispanic angle because they are virtually invisible on the tube. But what was the last Black show or movie since Sanford and Son that showed Blacks as poor folx on TV or on the big screen?

TV:
Roc
South Central

Movie:

Too many to name, but any hood movie

I agree though, Asians, and Hispanics are invisible in the mainstream. They have it worse than we do.

NICE

LadyLuck13 said:
D-NICE said:
TV:
Roc
South Central

Movie:

Too many to name, but any hood movie

I agree though, Asians, and Hispanics are invisible in the mainstream. They have it worse than we do.

NICE
Pbla...I'm speaking mainly of the way they talk....

Typical African American woman: Neck rollin, finger pointing, possibly single mother
Typical African-American man: Playa, has a drama-filled baby's momma, blue collar worker

Lucklily, some of these characters in movies make it out of the struggle...
White shows and movies, Roseanne, Married With Children, The Simpsons, All In The Family,Dukes Of Hazzard,Beverly Hillbillies etc. There was not a large outcry from White folx on these shows like there was from Black folx when Eddie Murphy's The PJ's aired.

Some felt that Roc was an excellent TV drama and so did I. But you know all of us have different taste on what a good African American movie should be. It's natural to realize that we can't please the entire Black community on what is or not a stereotyped Black movie. If Black directors and writers tried to please everyone in Black America on what type of movie to write or not to write, then there would be no Black movies at all. I just think some of our people over react.

Back