What are you going to do on MLK day (Jan 20th)

kbSU89

What do you actually do to celebrate MLK day. I get the feeling around my job that most just preceive it to be another day off, and at one time I felt the same way.

I started thinking about those days back then, ( I am 36 yrs old), so I was not even here during those bad times, but my great-grandmother lived until she was 96 and I thought about how it may have been for her and even my grandparents, and the thought of what they had to go through makes me realize that where we are now is because of the struggles they went through.

We still have a lot to learn, and we as a people need to do more than what we are currently doing, and we can not always continue to live off of MLK, but paying some kind of tribute is the very least.

My plans are to attend the parade here, and then take my children to the Museum for them to hear some of MLK's speeches. I also noticed schools are not doing much to teach our children about him, so it will be left up to parents. I will always remember the day he was shot, because it is the same day as my parent's anniversay.

I'll be working this year. I don't think Dr. King will be mad at a brother for try to make a dollar to support his family.

I plan on either attending a BBQ or BBQ'ing at my house. I am not for the crowds of a parade. I will eat my BBQ and reflect on how many folks had to die so I could sit at home and eat BBQ in a neighborhood with whites and blacks.

In the morning, I have to go to work....:smh:

But I plan on leaving after very early and chill until it's time to attend the MLK Dinner that the Grad Chapter here is having.

*I was don't that it's not as big as our MLK Breakfast in Huntsville...but it's all good.* :D

I get to listen to Tavis Smiley's show for the first time on MLK's b-day - usually I am sleep when he comes on. He is having Coretta Scott King on, then I get listen to Worldview, and if I am woke enough Judge Mathis.

I'm at work, and this is where I'll be for the remainder of the day, as a matter of fact, I have to come back at midnight tonight.

Our company is giving us the day after Christmas this year as a substitute since Christmas is on a Thursday this year, and they've also taken Veteran's Day from us, to give us the day after Thanksgiving.

NICE

I'm gonna fold clothes and listen to my oldest tell the twins about MLK. She likes doing that kind of thing, and they need to know why they aren't at school.

Well, I am off today. Today is not one of the holidays that we are given but I took a personal day. I listened to one of his speeches and I am going to watch Oprah later.

Since it is the day after in Korea:

Supported a candlelight vigil walk sponsored by the Delta's and Alpha's (I could not walk due to the surgically repaired ankle) on Sunday evening. On yesterday, (day of), I shopped for items for my new place in which I am moving into today (Tuesday) as well as got up at 5 am to watch the football games.

If I was home in the MD/DC/VA area, I would be at the Annual We Feed Our People event at the MLK Library in DC.:whine:

Back