whaaa?! Stillman College sackin' up, moving to Div II-A?!

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
whaaa?! Stillman College sackin' up, moving to Div II?!

check dis:
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/search/search.asp?action=found&id=22012

This year, Stillman will play a schedule that does not include a single Division III team and will feature a game against Division 1-AA Texas Southern.

:eek2:

,,,, huuuuuuuuuh? :eek2: You godda be kinding me here. Texas Southern, a full virtually two division leap? OH MY GOODNESS!

GO STILLMAN!!!!

Where did deez mugz come from? They done come out of nowhere to division II? :tup: Good stuff!

TXSo, Stillman commin' 4 dat aaaaaa--. :cool:

Bartram, my friend.

There is no such thing as "Div II-A".

The NCAA classifies institutions as follow:

Division I,

Division I A

Division I AA

Division I AAA (Division I programs without football)

Division II,

and

Division III

I would imagine that Stillman College would be interested in joining the SIAC as would the SIAC have interest in the expanding the conference with Stillman College as a member.

This would bring the conference to 10 members.
Albany State
Benedict
Clark-Atlanta
Fort Valley State
Morehouse
Miles
Kentucky State
Tuskegee
Lane

?Stillman

The complicated component in regards to the SIAC adding a tenth member, would be the opportunity for the conference to create a championship game similar to the 10 football-participating member CIAA and SWAC.

But this brings up the following question.

When would the SIAC choose to schedule the proposed SIAC Championship Game?

If the SIAC schedules the proposed SIAC Championship Game the weekend before the NCAA Division II play-offs, then all the teams in the league would forfeit their 11th game scenario, except Tuskegee or any conference member that could schedule a NCAA Division I AA program the following week or two fo the proposed SIAC CHampionship Game.

If the SIAC schedules the proposed SIAC Championship Game during the first weekend of the NCAA Division II play-offs, then the conference would create a similar situation in regards to the SWAC and the NCAA Division I AA play-offs, eliminating the two teams playing in the proposed SIAC Championship Game from particpating in the NCAA Division II Play-offs.

Typo

uh-yes, true dat on Div II-A. :D

on a conference,,, maybe, maybe not. I find it interesting to hear them talk about possibly not going into the SIAC. This will be interesting to watch.

plus too, some contend that there is, in fact, a move afoot at Tuskegee to move up,,, i am not of that belief, but I have had fellow Tuskegee faithful tell me it is so.

I'm just stunned at how Stillman manages to be moving so far so quickly. I would like to see Talladega and maybe Selma Univ and Oakwood field club teams and at least get to div III.

lmaooo@OAKWOOD having a football team... that would be the funniest thing that I have ever seen. Oakwood is a 7 day adventist school and unlike most HBCU private colleges, I would say 90% or up of Oakwood students are 7 day adventist. When would they play their football games??? The only time they would play games would be on Sundays. The band couldnt play anything but gospel songs and TAKE 6 and Brian McKnight songs. They are STRICT on religion at Oakwood.

On Oakwood,,,,,,,, "teh".

yeah,,,, a lil over-zealous on my part. :eek: scratch that. BUT HECK, AIN'T MILES A BAPTIST(or methodist or some religious branch?) AFFILIATED COLLEGE?!:idea:

Bartram,

uh-yes, true dat on Div II-A.
No problem.

on a conference,,, maybe, maybe not. I find it interesting to hear them talk about possibly not going into the SIAC. This will be interesting to watch.

I agree this will be interesting to watch. But, I have treuly believe they are interested in the SIAC and are just covering their back, while positioning themselves for talks in regards to expansion of the SIAC.

Remember there are 9 football participating member in the SIAC that is not much of a problem as a scheduling issue, but that means they have 11 basketball and non-revenue generating sport members. Now, that is a scheduling headache for the conference office.

When I made my comments about expansion of the SIAC and not any other conference. I did my homework and reviewed the likelyhood of a different arrangement.

How would the presidents vote on expansion? I would suggest the following likely hood:

Albany State - Maybe, depending conference play-off oscenario
Benedict - Yes, would reduce conference traveling expense
Clark-Atlanta - Yes, would reduce conference traveling expense
Fort Valley State - Maybe, depending conference play-off scenario
Morehouse - Maybe, remember Stillman vs. Morehouse rain game
Miles - Yes, would reduce conference traveling expense
Kentucky State - Yes, would reduce conference traveling expense
Tuskegee - Yes, would reduce conference traveling expense
Lane - Yes, would reduce conference traveling expense

6 yes, and 3 maybe

Also the Gulf South Conference currently has 12 conference members is not likely to expand the conference for additional membership.

Gulf South Conference:
Arkansas Monticiello - No
Arkansas Tech - No
Central Arkansas - No
Delta State - No
Harding - No
Henderson State - No
North Alabama - Maybe
Oachita Baptist - No
Southern Arkansas - No
Valdosta State - Doubtful
West Alabama - Maybe
West Georgia - Doubtful

8 No, 2 Doubtful, 2 Maybe

Other HBCU participating in football, Edward College - Florida, Allen College - South Carolina, Paul Quinn College - Texas, Langston University - Oklahoma, Central State University - Ohio (Plans to restart football) all NAIA Division I member, whom are spread out regionally and would have to petition the NCAA for membership and reclassification. Lincoln University - Missouri a NCAA Division II member.

A new conference would need atleast 6 members to earn all the NCAA post-season championship eligiblity for participation. So, Stillman College - Alabama would need atleast 5 of the above institutions to move with them to create a new conference. Even if they could convince atleast 5 institutions to make the move. Those institutions could not make that move by next season.
This would also create a very unfriendly and expensive traveling budget for such a new conference alignment.

plus too, some contend that there is, in fact, a move afoot at Tuskegee to move up,,, i am not of that belief, but I have had fellow Tuskegee faithful tell me it is so.

I agree there has been talk. As well as talk by Benedict College. But, I think this would make the move to the SIAC even easier for Stillman College. Furthermore, I doubt Tuskegee University and/or Benedict College will announce their attention for a move to NCAA Division I AA/Division I, before Stillman College petition the SIAC for membership.

I'm just stunned at how Stillman manages to be moving so far so quickly. I would like to see Talladega and maybe Selma Univ and Oakwood field club teams and at least get to div III.
Stillman College has put together a very aggressive and strong plan to move from NCAA Division III to NCAA Division II, similar to Benedict College having an equal aggressive and strong plan to move from NAIA Division I to NCAA Division II and now finally gaining membership into the SIAC.

I have not heard any word of Talledega, Selma, or Oakwood having any interest in creating a football program for their respective institutions. Usually the creation of a football program is a 3 to 5 year strategic planning effort by the institution's president or board of regents.

Re: On Oakwood,,,,,,,, "teh".

Originally posted by Bartram
yeah,,,, a lil over-zealous on my part. :eek: scratch that. BUT HECK, AIN'T MILES A BAPTIST(or methodist or some religious branch?) AFFILIATED COLLEGE?!:idea:
Yes Miles is a private school (not sure who they are ran by) and even MO B is ran by the Methodist.... but most of their students are arent their because it is a Methodist school. That is the difference between Oackwood and most Black private schools. Oakwood is an ELITE school where almost all of their students are 7 day adventist. Everything on the campus is "7 day adventist like" from the cafeteria (certain foods you can and cant eat), every dorm has a chapel in the lobby, and the students have 10 o clock weekday curfews and 12 o clock weekend curfews.

Nice job blu panther. Oakwood.

Blu, you kicking some knowledge. Great analysis of the situation. Very interesting insight from a different perspective. Look forward to more of your perspectives on the board.

Dahill, yeah, didn't know Oakwood was like DAT. Those mugz sound "serious", sheece. But yeah, yeah,,, I bet that has no bearing on the social lifes of the students. I would imagine there are some stories for the ages bout how AAMU males be rolling over to Oakwood "hookin' up with" some of the bored Oakwood coeds. ;) As for sports there, you never know. FSU was once an all-girl's school(Oakwood ain't all-girl, but similar mentality on sports at FSU at the time) with no football, now look,,, but they were white/non-religious affiliated, state supported and tapped to become the major institution in that part of Florida so that's different.

and the students have 10 o clock weekday curfews and 12 o clock weekend curfews.
:idea: That's commendable, but I bet that only makes it worse (or better, depending on your perspective) for some students.

In Greensboro at A&T there was an all girl's black college in the same neighborhood. The campus was a freaking fortress, but on Friday/Sat night (especially in the fall) the main road through their campus was a continuous traffic jam. It reminded me of a small version of Crenshaw Blvd with all the cars and such. boy the memories the memories.

Re: whaaa?! Stillman College sackin' up, moving to Div II?!

Originally posted by Bartram

GO STILLMAN!!!!

Where did deez mugz come from? They done come out of nowhere to division II? :tup: Good stuff!

TXSo, Stillman commin' 4 dat aaaaaa--.

TO: Stillman College
DATE: July 22, 2002

Dear Stillman College,

You can't win. Too much Lenard "The Beast" Mack, Santino "Hollywood" Hall, Cortez "RAC-Man" Hankton, etc...

Sincerely,

William "Bill" Thomas
Supposedly Head Football Coach
Texas Southern University

Re: Re: whaaa?! Stillman College sackin' up, moving to Div II?!

Originally posted by C-LeB28

TO: Stillman College
DATE: July 22, 2002

Dear Stillman College,

You can't win. Too much Lenard "The Beast" Mack, Santino "Hollywood" Hall, Cortez "RAC-Man" Hankton, etc...

Sincerely,

William "Bill" Thomas
Supposedly Head Football Coach
Texas Southern University

Who are those guys?:lmao:
Just kidding! Games are won on the field, not the forum!

That will not a game. It will be an exhibition. I say Mack will play quarterback and Santino will play tailback in this game. While Cortez playing linebacker.

I hope they do well. THe band and the school seem to be on the come-up

Back