Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Politician

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Demogogue

• Other, describe

• Total voters
THAT'S 200% TRUE!!! I hope more people will begin to feel this way about the state of the state and get the 1901 Constitution out of here as a 1st but HUGE step!

Like I said, I do understand what you are saying about Wallace, and you are right. But I think that people like Hoover, Goldwater and Nixon should be included. Note that Hoover, a republican, won a lot of southern states in 1928.

I will have to ask the home folks about how the education has changed in Georgia since Zell Miller instituted the lottery. I can tell you that before then that Georgia's education system was not alway something to write home about at all. If a kid was in a poor county or city, their school system had problems. The state funding for education was not good to say the least. Also, we also have our private academies.

Understand. While areas like Atlanta won the PR battle, it did not mean that Black acheive totally equality. You talk about the economics. When people control the economics, they in a sense control the politics. Sure, some Black people have gotten city contracts. But the White guys are still having a lot of fun.

Remember. Georgia still elected Lester Maddox and Richard B. Russell after 1965. Newt Gingrich and other republicans won with the help of the old school conservatives and the new conservatives that can to town. A lot of the newcomers are electing very conservative politicians. Still, Georgia has an overall very conservative congressional delegation.

About 18 months ago, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution did an article on the two souths. It talked about areas in the south that have grown as oppose to others, including some nearby, that have not grown at all. The article covered the entire south, Mississippi and Alabama included.

In addition to Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, Miami, one can probably add the Research Triangle and Charlotte to the list as far as economic growth. But I can tell you that 4 million people in metro Atlanta has become a hazard. Traffic is horrible.:splat:

Here's the thing about Wallace EB,,,

yeah, the Hoovers, Goldwaters and Nixons were cut from the same cloth.

The reason I would put Wallace at the head of the pack is because, of all the subjects, he's probably the most controversial and recieves the most pounding from the media and historians. He also made the most radical swings; all the way from "segregation forever" to appointing virtually all of the black "LIBERAL" supreme court justices/judges in Alabama to countless other politics in this state in cahoots with the black "democratic" political establishment.

What/who do you see every Febuary during black history month paraded about as the foremost "Hitler" of the civil rights era? George Wallace. The state of Alabama was pretty much ground zero for the defining battle of the civil rights era (or at least Alabama gets the worst rap of any of the southern states,, except maybe tied with Mississippi). This forever immortalized Wallace as THE central opposition figure to civil rights. All the more why his "transformation" is the subject of much debate.

On the success of Atlanta, et al, and Negroes getting a piece of the pie:

Let me tell you my friend,,,,,,, I have had this debate with colleagues until I was blue in the face. I would simply say the following; I would much rather have the industry and prosperity of a Georgia, North Carolina,,, etc, and be worried about how to spread the wealth to Negroes than to have nothing and still be sitting here fighting and scratching over worthless bull-crap like the rebel flag and rather or not a copy of the Tend Commandments should reside in the capitol rotunda. Whites still control the money in Atlanta which, I agree, controls politics, but there are many more OPPORTUNITIES in Atlanta for non-whites just based on shear numbers/population/demographics alone! Must be nice to be trying to figure out how to split the pie as opposed to trying to figure out how to GET the pie.

the AJC:
yeah, yeah,,,,, i'm painfully familiar with the AJC and their articles on the south (errr,,, their Atlanta/Georgia back-patting epilogues). and gee,,, you mean Alabama/Mississippi were once again the whipping boys (for the upteenth time)???! I would have never guessed.

Atlanta people/traffic:
The more the merrier I say, then maybe Birmingham would get the spill-over like Los Vegas gets from Los Angeles.

South "world-class" metros:
The only reason I didn't include RDU and Charlotte is simply based on having the most metro area amenities and being economic powerhouses, plus population numbers in the 3M+ range. Actually as the south goes, RDU, Charlotte, Orlando, Tampa St Pete, Nashville, San Antonio, Austin and to lesser extents Memphis, Norfolk, Richmond, Lexington, Louisville and N.O. are all solid. then you have the bubble riders like Greensboro-WS-High Point, Greensville-Spartanburg, Birmingham, Shreveport,,, and the next generation like the Mobiles, chattanooga/Knoxvilles, Columbia/Charlstons, Jacksons, Baton Rouges.

They did talk about Miss. and Alabama. But they compared areas in those states that have grown as oppose to those that did not grow. I will have to find the article to tell you what areas they discussed. I did not think that they bashed Miss. or Alabama.

Note. While metro Atlanta may have grown, not everyone there has benefited. Atlanta had one of the highest poverty rates for U.S. cities during the '80s. There are also areas like Hancock County, Jasper County, Taylor County, etc in Georgia. Yes, those are poor areas that will rival the poverty rates for anywhere in the nation, and they have a lot of Black folks. (Poor counties like Dawson, White, Lumpkin are mostly (<95%) White.) Not only have I read about those counties. I have relatives there and have been to those counties (those that are mostly Black).

I understand some of the differences that exist among the southern states. I understand that each state in the south is not the same. I only mention some of the things about Georgia because some looks can be deceiving despite the growth. BTW we also had an flag fight that got real ugly, very ugly.

Originally posted by EB
I only mention some of the things about Georgia because some looks can be deceiving despite the growth. BTW we also had an flag fight that got real ugly, very ugly.

You think your Flag Fight was ugly? Mississippi was the only state in the union that had confederate lineage in their flag put to a vote by the people. Other states such as South Carolina and Georgia made the decision as a legislative body to do so. But our Gov. Ronnie Musgrove and LT. Gov Amy Tuck made no stance towards the flag and put it to the people to vote for. I find this disturbing because the same MS legislature when it raised it's pay put it to a legislative vote and not to the people.
So knowing that MS has a black population of 34% the vote was set up to fail...and they gave voters the option of two flags to vote for and the old stars and bars won by 74%. The sad thing about it all is that in Hinds county, the most progressive county, most populous county, and richest county (Jackson is in Hinds county) voted for the new flag. But in a lot of rural areas they voted overwhelmingly for the old flag,,,what is even sadder is that a few of those counties were predominately black and N@@@@'s got apathetic and did'nt brang their arse out to vote in the first place, but yet they still complain......:(

And some people wonder why I own 6 assault rifles. :(

Very Suprised. Flag Issues.

I can't believe the AJC did an article on Alabama and didn't take some pot-shots. This I have got to see. Perhaps Alabama has become so irrelevent that the AJC feels no need to take shots at Birmingham/Alabama since the Atlanta-Birmingham rival of the 50s-60s is long dead.

I feel about CNN/the AJC about like Makaho probably feels about the media in general as being "liberal biased" and against "republicans/conservatives"; I feel that CNN/the AJC are biased against Alabama and go out of their way to run negative stories about Alabama. Anytime there is a positive story in Alabama, you hear nothing, but let there be some kind of klan rally in Montgomery or a flag flap with a bunch of civil war re-enactors clashing with blacks in Selma and CNN/the AJC is all over that. Please forward me some URLs on these positive AJC stories related to Alabama. This I have got to see.

On the flag issue, yes I say the flag flap in Georgia and heard about it in Mississippi. What stunned me about the Georgia situation was seeing all those big billboards listing all the politicians that the pro-battle flag crowd feel helped changed the flag.:eek:

Alabama's situation was pretty funny and has to really burn the pro-battle flag folks up. "Little Jim" Folsom who was Lt Gov. during Republican Guy Hunt's admin. finished Hunt's term when Hunt had to step down on ethical technicalities. During this period of Folsom being governor, the capitol dome had to undergo rennovations and the flag poll(and flags) had to be taken down for the rennovations/painting of the dome. When it came time to put them back up, Folsom (or somebody) interpreted the Alabama constitution to the letter which states that (only?) the United States and state of Alabama flags shall fly atop the capitol and did not put the rebel battle flag back up. It would take an executive order by the governor to overrule that provision which is what Wallace did and nobody, except Joe Reed/Alvin Holmes/blacks/"liberal" orgs, challenged him on it and risk political suicide, so the rebel battle flag flew atop the capitol from the 60s to the early 90s.

Once the flag was down under the Folsom administration, dude was hands-off on the issue. When the pro-flag folks came at him side-ways, he simply said,,, "ey,,, it says right here in the constitution that the U.S. and state flag shall fly atop the capitol. I'm only following the letter of the law here." He didn't exactly say that he was for keeping the flag down, he empathized with the pro-flag masses that it is Alabama's "heritage", but he stopped short of mounting a campaign to put the flag back up on the capitol. Every governor since, even Fob the staunch modern day "Wallace republican" ran mucho smack about the virtues of the rebel battle flag and its "great heritage",,, but did not mount efforts to have it put back atop the capitol dome.

Now Don Siegleman is governor and Alabama's version of the 1970s proggressive governors of NC, Florida and Zell Miller of 1980s Georgia. Easily four years of no rebel flag atop the dome, but if "republican" and Wallace-60s throwback Steve Windom becomes governor, there will be massive heat from his constituency to restore the rebel flag atop the dome. I don't think he would get into that political quagmire; his core issue seems to be bible thumping and riding the popularity of "Ten Commandments" "republican" supreme court judge Roy Moore into the governor's house. We shall see. All Siegleman has done is direct the state to it's most prosperous period of economic expansion since the 50s and try to drastically upgrade the public school system in Alabama,,, but this doesn't mean nothing to a large voter block in Alabama, so he will have a fight on his hands verses Windom/Riley or whoever the opposition is that play to all the traditional fears of rural/small town/suburban/white Alabama voters. We shall see.

Back