Video Card

udratherbme

SU Spr '99
Yall,

I am trying to upgrade my desktop. I have a Sony Vaio desktop w 1g ram, 300gb hd, dual dvd drives, Media Center, PVR, and a 19" lcd....

now I am trying to us Catia so i beleive my video card need to upgraded plus the Intel GMA 900 ain't working it like it need to be.... I have an ati controller that i don't use...

I am looking for a very inexpensive video card, i have seen several on ebay, but don't know whether to go w/ ati or nvidia card.... perferable something w/ a dvi out and multiple moniter capability.....

what can you techies advise for me

Catia is a major CAD application and needs the CAD level graphics card. These cards are different then your gaming cards that you see all over the internet for very cheap.

If you are serious about your Catia work, you need to bit the bullet and get a serious graphics card.

We have the Nvidia Quadro Pro 380 series here for the low end CAD users. This may be sufficient for you. For the High End CAD users, we have the Nvidia Quadro FX 1300.

The Quadro 380 runs about 300 to 400 dollars but it's a good investment.
The Quadro FX 1300 should be around 1500 or so.. This will be a good buy as well.

We had theATI's but phased them out, they (At the time) was for high-end gaming and did not have the power to render a portion of the space station or the shuttle.

Sorry for so long. This is what I do at work. :)

It won't be that serious for home use... I just really need it home for practice since I am currently taking the class and I am doing homework and stuff.... all seriousness would be really performed @ work

Thanks Doc

I would not go cheap with a video card. I bought cheap a couple years ago and regretted it. I would stick with a reputable company and get something that falls within the levels which I require.

Back