Very serious topic! Please explain the rationale of hazing? I'm not understanding.

When a young man lies to get into a Fraternity, his word is no longer good. Why would I trust a brother who outright lied to get in the Frat? Why would I trust a brother who allows someone to beat him when he takes an oath that hazing, beating and associate with brothers who have not been active in the organization since their first dues card expired.

Greek Organizations have very strict rules, but we have a few who will take advantage of young men.

Just the other day a young man was caught trying to start a chapter pretenting to be an Omega, but when he was checked out he was found to be an imposter. We have a lot of suspended and individuals who have learned all about our organizations trying to take advantage of us. People get into trouble when they allow someone to pledge underground. If organizations are not following the campus rules for joining an organization, it is the responsibility of the student to report it. The SGA and Pan Hellenic Council should take action against these organizations.

This is why I don't discuss my Frat with anyone unless they have a financial card. If you are in another Greek Organization I will ask for your card. If we want to eliminate a lot of Crap we can start with following the rules.

Now if anyone think they should be beaten or allow themselves to be abused then they should not try to get in. This is not what we are about.

Sure I pledged, but I also did not take any abuse. We had to be able to outsmart the Big Brothers and we were good at it. Some wanted to beat and beat, but we were able to get around them. Some Big Brothers just hated certain individuals, but we were smart enough to make them look bad. There were a lot of fun things and I enjoyed them. Some Big Brothers were really funny and made us think, but there were some who were just plain jealous of brothers on the line.

Greek Organs are not bad. Do not blame the organization, but see how you can help keep the life line going. There is room for you if you are sincere about who you are. You can be one of the proud brothers where you can develop life long skills. Picture this when I joined Omega, I was immediately connected with Medical Doctors, Educators, Lawyers and many other professonial men. I could not believe that I was a part of all this. And the good thing about it, each one was willing to assist with our development. Went to a National Meeting after joining and met two of the founders. As young students they talked to us as long as we wanted to talk. My point is; this was immediate acceptance into a setting that I had not contributed not one thing to become a member, but it was there for me. So in any organization members can share similar experience.

No you don't have to be in an organization to experience what I mentioned. But this is why I believe that when members drop out it is not my responsibility to try to motivate them to continue. I feel that when they drop they don't want to be a part of us. No one makes anyone join and no one can keep them in, but I don't have time trying to explain why they should stay. I will continue to support and promote what we are about.

Wow!!! I cant believe this thread is still alive.

No you don't have to be in an organization to experience what I mentioned. But this is why I believe that when members drop out it is not my responsibility to try to motivate them to continue. I feel that when they drop they don't want to be a part of us. No one makes anyone join and no one can keep them in, but I don't have time trying to explain why they should stay. I will continue to support and promote what we are about.

I thought i was the only person that felt this way towards members that are not active. Outside of my line brother and Dean, both who are in-active, i dont ask brothers to come back to Sigma. They know what they need to do and i dont have to remind them that they are in-active.

Anyways, Mighty Dogg Nice Post.

hmmm..hazing......

My views about this topic is simple. Hazing in a band makes no sense to me. For 15 weeks you get wood and hands, so the following year you can chill not come to practice. I didn't have to crab to get right i just came to pratice everyday and i was the only person in my section. If your like me I got tight on everything. I'm so glad that this season has ended.

Also, I think everyone must take in to consideration that pledging is not for everyone. Hey, that is why they make grad chapters you know.

That's just my two cents

And that is why opinions like your have cost our organizations million of dollars.

And this is why you must sign a statement that if you are part of these beat downs that you the individual can be sued and not the Fraternity.

These organizations really aren't for everybody and you shoud do some research before joining them to see why you want to be a part of it. I agree with the posts about getting your priorities straight on why you came to college. If you don't see it benefitting you after you graduate, then you really shouldn't waste your time or the organization's time. I know everything I've done so far at SU has been only to strengthen me and to help me in my future.

Originally posted by valleyman2002
Also, I think everyone must take in to consideration that pledging is not for everyone. Hey, that is why they make grad chapters you know.

That's definitely not why Omega has Grad Chapters...!

Originally posted by ByronW

That's definitely not why Omega has Grad Chapters...!

Thanks for making that clear. No one should try to take "the easy way out" when it comes to going a Greek organization.

By no means am I condoning hazing, but for someone to "wait and pledge grad, cuz it's easier" is really disrespectful to all those who have preceded them. I joined Omega Psi Phi as a graduate brother. It was a choice that I made as an adult, fully aware of the sacrifices as a "pledge", "neo" and Omega Man.

...Just remember you are facing what other men have met!

The statement below ...

Originally posted by valleyman2002
Hey, that is why they make grad chapters you know.

... Is living proof that IGNORANCE ain't always BLISS! :rolleyes:

My take......

First of all the Grad V.S. Undergrad argument is all relative.....
I pledged undergrad, but if you pledged Grad you still know the same Phi Nu Pi that I do.

I have met bruhs that never took a lick of wood or went through one tenth of the ISHT I went through and they would give you the shirt off their back if you asked them for it....

I have also met bruhs that got beat like Hebrew slaves pledging.... they were the hardest NUPE/QUE/ALPHA/SIGMA on the yard and if they were on fire I would Piss in the other direction and let them burn.....

It depends on the individual, their goals and ambitions....you can't teach or pledge ambition.

The bottom line is that in any organizations teachings it should show loyality as such:

1........GOD
2........FAMILY
3........SCHOOL/WORK (Depending on your age)
4........The Organization

We Identified One In Huntsville

This is getting to be a problem, by trusting Brothers. Omega does not teach this but too many Bros think they have to support individuals who just show up. Never take strangers into your home. A young Bro. call me to get him out of jail, I asked for his parents home # and he said I don't want to bring them into it. Now why should I put on a property bond for someone I don't know.

Xi Omicron Brothers:

I am passing this on to put us on alert. Many people know that
we support each other and take advantage of that personality to our
decrement.

-----

cain2.jpg>> <<Cain.jpg>>
If you ladies know any Ques on your e-mail address list, please pass this on to them.

Thanks
Just passing on this information...Please pass onto any Omega's or sorors that could help in letting everyone about this perpetrator. This a disgrace.

Neos, Give this info. and the pictures to the new bruhs on campus. Hello everyone. I have heard some rather disturbing news. There is a PERPETRATOR on the LOOSE!! This young man has been skipping all over the U.S claiming to be a Bruh, and in the mean while doing shady things such as - stealing Bruh's
credit cards and maxing them out, running up people'sphone bills,
stealing Bruh's Suits and Greek paraphernalia, and THE LATEST-CATCH THIS - STEALING A BRUH'S VEHICLE- A WHOLE TRUCK!!???!!!!!
Someone must stop this fella. It seems that he can do such things with ease because there has been a lack in
communication. Well, I hope you all find this serious enough to
pass on to all the Bruhs on your address lists, call all the bruhs you know in other cities/states, etc. to get the word out on this fool. I have attached two messages that I've gotten from bruhs on the subject matter. Hope you guys pass this info on so that Bruhs from coast to coast will be on the lookout for this dude. Peace.
Mandi - DST - Spr.'97, #6,'Range Rover', Mu Tau (Univ. of N.O., LA)

BRUHS-THIS IS A PIC (see attachment)OF THE DUDE THAT STOLE MY TRUCK........AS IT TURNS OUT, HE HAS PULLED THIS CAPER ON A NUMBER BRUHS, ACROSS THE COUNTRY. A KB BRUH(RUST COLLEGE) SAID THAT HE DID THE SAME THING TO HIM..............THE DUDES NAME NAME IS LAWRENCE W.CAIN, JR.
HIS SS# IS 241-67-4133(if that's even valid). HE HAS DONE THIS ON A NUMBER OF OCCASIONS. IN THE PIC IS IS BABY'S MOMMA, I THINK SHE LIVES IN NC. HE HAS ALSO DONE A LOT OF OTHER B.S. BRUHS GET THE WORD OUT MSG 2 Bruhs---
this "bruh", got in town on Wed. Oct 17, he caught up with the
Lonnie on the net, Lonnie called Big Rod, Big Rod scooped him up, and he contacted me later on that night. He crashed with me in Camp that night. He stay there part of the Thurs. and then he got up with Quez. They came back later on last night, he stayed the night again. When I woke up this morning at about 8am, I noticed that he was gone, he hit me up for some loot, shoes and took my keys and stole my truck (1992 Green/tan trim Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition, frat tag on front and back, alabama plates). He said his name was Will Morris. He said that he was the ace off of 1996, L.I.T. (a technical school in Michigan) I don't remember the chapter name. He said they had a line of 8. He is about 5'8" 165-170lbs. He said he was 25 yrs old. He said he graduated with B.S. in chemical engineering. He said
> that he is working for a Chemical company that makes anti-venom vaccines in Virginia he said he also lives there. He said that he is also currently in graduate school at the University of Virginia. He said that he is originally from Charlotte, NC. He said that he wrestles. He claims that he used to kick it hard with Ced and Doc from BH, and Pep from BZ. He said he has a son (age 3) that lives in Charlotte. If you see or run into this fool, wreck on site, then bring him to me. Let us know of any information. I don't
know if his whole biography is BS or not, that is just what he told
me.

Forward this message to everyone.

http://

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[

Well Mike Big I respect your statement but I have to disagree with you. If a person chooses grad chapter, it may not be because it is easier. You have to consider that undergraduate is not for everybody so this is why they invented grad chapters. It depends on the person. Personally, I would rather go grad than undergrad because it is not a whole lot of stress involved like pledging. Also, you have to take an individual's situation. A person may be in working or going to grad school and may not have time for stressful stuff like pledging so that person may go the grad route. Hey, this is just my opinion though. Hey, I am am all for grad chapter.

OK OK...

Who said pledging Grad was any easier than undergrad....I know some Grad Chapters that pledge RIDICULOUS...and I know some undergrad chapters that didn't at all...Sneaking in the Frat ain't the issue...your true colors come out after you cross, in more ways than one....

I understand the process one would have to take in joining a Frat/Sorority/Band but I don't understand hazing. If you beat someone or cause physical harm is the point going to get across any better? When I was on the yard, I saw pledges hunched over wincing in pain and I heard some good ol' arse kicking going on. I was on the verge of pledging but did not and at the time I would have taken what was given. I inquired about pledging a Fraternity Grad chapter and when I went to a function to let myself be known, I got a very cold reception. I understood why but it turned me off of the whole process. When I was younger I would have taken the hazing if I was put through it, now after "growing up" I don't see the rationale.
Say it ain't so...

Grad chapter is definitely not the easy way out. I joined Phi Beta Sigma through a graduate chapter, but we also were on line with undergrads. That made the experience more worthwhile:D

People fail to realize that everyone did not have the opportunity to join their particular organization on the undergraduate level. The Sigmas were suspended from SU for most of the time I was there. I wasn't going to be like some people and just join whoever was left(that's another thread), so I followed my heart and waited until I got to Atlanta. Some people may not come out and admit it, but there were a lot of fools at SU that "second-choiced" their organization, if you catch my meaning. There were a lot of sick folks when the Sigmas and Omegas came back on the Yard.

My wife joined Zeta Phi Beta through a graduate chapter, but her story is a little different. She worked full-time and went to school part-time for most of college, so pledging was not an option. She also doesn't see the point of hazing. Therefore, she did what was best for her. I get tired of people thinking that someone that came in through a Graduate/Alumni chapter took the easy way or was scared of an butt-whipping or whatever. Pledging is not what makes you real. Some of my own LB's are MIA along with a lot of other NPHC members that came in the so-called "real" way. At the same time, there are plenty of people that came in MIP that are willing to work for their organization. I would rather have a 42-year-old grad neophyte that is willing to work in my corner than a 22-year-old undergrad that won't stay financial or probably won't graduate. We have enough letter wearers in the NPHC. We need more workers, period.

My Two Cents

I feel that you know what you're getting into before you join any organization. As far as bands, from the outside looking in, it really seems worst than what it really is. I hated my freshman year, but now that I look back at it, and trip out with my crab brothers about it, it was one of my best years in the band.

Apparently my post wasn't clearly stated or was not clearly understood! I was saying that no one should think that pledging graduate is the way to go in order to get in easier. Pledging grad is not being disrespectful===>seeking an easy way out is what is disrespectful. Trust me, I pledge graduate chapter. All I can say is that it was hard but fair. That's all we can ask for/expect!

Originally posted by MikeBigg

Thanks for making that clear. No one should try to take "the easy way out" when it comes to going a Greek organization.

By no means am I condoning hazing, but for someone to "wait and pledge grad, cuz it's easier" is really disrespectful to all those who have preceded them. I joined Omega Psi Phi as a graduate brother. It was a choice that I made as an adult, fully aware of the sacrifices as a "pledge", "neo" and Omega Man.

...Just remember you are facing what other men have met!

I have never pledged ...

any organization since I was 15, but I can tell you one thing. I am NOT against hazing. I believe that there are limits to what persons should be subjected to and that it is up to the bruh's and sista's to make sure that "things" don't go too far.

I take offense in folks joining organizations just to add something onto a resume and to be a part of something they have no intent of participating in. I honestly believe that is why some groups have outlandish entry fees and application processes so that they can weed out the folks who just are not that serious. Nothing ticks me off more than someone joining a band, "just because I needed a scholarship and that's the only reason I joined". They don't care about practice. They don't care about rhythms, or 8 to 5's, or intonation, or picking up steps, etc. You Clef heads feelin' me!

As far as the Greeks, the only thing I have problems with are those bruhs and sistas who know that the ONE evil, obnoxious, dumb-arse who may take it too far...always does and nobody is man or woman enough to say that they are wrong! That is the love that needs to be displayed. Right is right and wrong ...just ain't right!

I figure if someone wants something bad enough, then a little paddle here and there, a little car-washing or errand-running :D ain't gonna kill nobody. As was stated before, EVERYBODY knows what is ahead when they want to pledge. So what's the big deal as long as no intentional maiming or bodily harm is intended.

Dayummm, some kids today ain't got no backbone!

I've got some connections.....

I read up a few posts above about the Omega 'imposter' with the criminal tendencies. I've got a contact with NCIC and APEX access. I'll get him to run the name (Lawrence W.Cain) and th eSSN# and see what washes up. I should have an NCIC answer later today, and an APEX answer by Monday. If he's an imposter, then good lookin' out putting the work out. I know one thing, he better not show up in Dallas......

Taylor-Made is on the case:ebrow:

Good Question......

Originally posted by Blacknbengal
2 QUESTIONS.

Is hazing a way of bringing the bros together or is it Im going to do it cause it was done to me? :confused:

It's supposed to be a lot of the first, and none of the second. But the truth today, is that it's not enough of the first, and way too much of the second........:(

Re: Good Question......

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90

It's supposed to be a lot of the first, and none of the second. But the truth today, is that it's not enough of the first, and way too much of the second........:(

That is what I thought!!!!! :(

Back