Valley didn't oversell hoop tickets, official says

Devilsh1

The Preeminent One!
Valley didn't oversell hoop tickets, official says

By:Bill Burrus , Sports Editor 02/05/2004

Even though many fans with tickets didn't make inside for Valley's game with Jackson State, the school says it did nothing wrong.

Mississippi Valley State didn't oversell tickets for last Saturday's home basketball game against Jackson State, according to Dr. Roy Hudson, Valley's vice president for university relations and senior advisor to the president.

The Greenwood Commonwealth has received several e-mails and at least one letter to the editor from disgruntled fans who were among the hundreds turned away Saturday even though they claimed to have bought tickets in advance. After the HPER Complex reached capacity at about 5:30, Valley officials didn't let anyone else through the doors.

"We sold 1,750 tickets ... with probably less than 100 tickets sold in advance. We started selling tickets about 3:45 (1 hour, 45 minutes before the start of the women's game). We had people buy tickets and walk off even though we told them to go ahead and claim their seat," Hudson said. "Our games with Jackson State are always like this. All the pregame hype leading up to the game was about getting there early to get a sit."

Hudson said no tickets were sold after the gym was declared to be at capacity, which is around 5,000, and that most of the people complaining were likely the ones who bought tickets the day of the game but didn't heed the university's advice to claim their seats early.

Some fans did more than complain as a window on the south side of the HPER Complex was smashed with a brick.
Hudson said he would like to see Valley fans work to get their school a larger basketball arena by contacting their state representatives.

"This is what they need to put their energy into," Hudson said. "Why can't Valley get a new gym?"

I smell a rat...

They know how many tickets they can sell. So what does it matter if you go in and get a seat. If the capacity is 5000 tickets, then what does it matter if I go right in or not. The people that didnt get in are the people that bought their seats early.

Why not just admit you oversold the gym? Damyum....all this lying. This is worse than George W himself.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by GoodFella
They should have move the game to the Greenwood Convention center or Gville.....

That's right, GF. They knew this game was going to be big. Why didn't Valley try to move the game to Greenwood or Greenville? You all should ask that question to the Valley AD.

The Leflore County Civic Senter would have been better than Valley and Greenville, but you know how valley is. We have tried to host a game in Greenville but it didn't get 2,000 people in the gym and it was packed up. Greenwood would have worked.

How in the hell can you sell me a ticket and then tell me to go get my seat early? Making money at any cost!

all I can say is it's the Valley way, you would think that as successful as the team is, getting a new gym wouldn't be hard. I swear I hope they put this Ayers case money to good use. *praying*

This makes Hudson look so stupid....

You have 5,000 seats.....Sell 5,000 tickets and stop....it's just that simple.....smh. :(

I know what the problem is. They don't know how to acount for the full time students who have have paid for season tickets.

Yea, well see at JSU everything opperates off the Supercard. The Supercard is your life as a JSU student. You swipe it to eat lunch. You swipe it to wash your clothes free. You swipe it to get into your dorm building. You swipe it to get into your dorm room. You swipe it to buy books....and you swipe it to get into athletic events, so it's easy to keep track of it.

The reason why they tell you to get your seat early is because of all the students that will be at the game because of our cards, just like every other school we get in free, so your not counting that. So they didn't over selll the tickets :lmao:

Originally posted by Alcorn Warrior
That's right, GF. They knew this game was going to be big. Why didn't Valley try to move the game to Greenwood or Greenville? You all should ask that question to the Valley AD.

It's called 'Homefield/homecourt advantage'......

Moving the game doesn't help Valley advantage-wise... And while they could possibly make more money moving the game, then their expenses go up as well. And I know somebody will say that it shouldn't cost much money moving the game to nearby Greenwood, but playing in G'Wood costs money too. Renting a facility, providing security, transporting your team, and other 'ancillary' costs. So making more money initially, doesn't always mean you keep more money.... It takes money to make money, and they might not've had the 'upfront' money to move the game..... And they probably wouldna've wanted to move the game anyway..... College Officials love to see 'sellouts' and traffic jams and congestion on their campus........

But I agree with Get Ready, they need to admit that they oversold the gott-dayum game and be done with it...... :mad::mad:

:(

Students get in the game free with their I.D. no onecounting that thats why they tell you when you buy a ticket get your seat.Because when the students fill up the gym then what?

I think the other side of this , is this.....

If Valley's gym seats 5,000, then you can't possibly sell 5,000 tickets. If there are 2,500 students, and another 1,000 faculty (both with ID cards), then you can only sell about 1,200-1,300 tickets.

But if you do sell tickets, you're selling a 'license to occupy a seat' in the arena.... And ticket-holders shouldn't have been turned away......

--------Unless you simply admit to selling too many tickets!!!!!!

Did they give any refunds????:confused:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
They gave my folks a refund when i bought their tickets in advance last year. It took damn near 3 weeks before i got the check though lol

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
It's called 'Homefield/homecourt advantage'......

Moving the game doesn't help Valley advantage-wise... And while they could possibly make more money moving the game, then their expenses go up as well. And I know somebody will say that it shouldn't cost much money moving the game to nearby Greenwood, but playing in G'Wood costs money too. Renting a facility, providing security, transporting your team, and other 'ancillary' costs. So making more money initially, doesn't always mean you keep more money.... It takes money to make money, and they might not've had the 'upfront' money to move the game..... And they probably wouldna've wanted to move the game anyway..... College Officials love to see 'sellouts' and traffic jams and congestion on their campus........

But I agree with Get Ready, they need to admit that they oversold the gott-dayum game and be done with it...... :mad::mad:

:(

TM, they must not have thought about all of that when the moved the Valley-UAPB game to Greenville earlier this year.

Back