Uverse vs Dish Network vs Direct TV

TSUGIRL07

So I am moving next month and considering switching cable providers. I had Cox and really did not like it so I switched to Uverse, which is okay, but I figured I would use the move as the opportunity to be a consumer and shop around. What are the pros and cons of switching from cable to satellite besides losing a signal when it rains? How is the price, HD quality, programming of Dish and Direct TV compared to Uverse or other cable providers? Also how is the internet quality? Any feedback would help. Thanks so much!

If you have 3D tv Direct TV is the best. If you have HD TV Direct TV is the best. As you can tell I think Direct TV is the option. I would only get universe if they were the only internet provider.

Then again, I would only get Uverse internet and Direct TV.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
TSUGIRL07, that depends on what you're willing to spend.

For about 3 monthns, AT&T has been trying to get me to bundle and/or become a U-Verse customer. They've flooded my mailbox sometimes 3 times a week with promos trying to get me to become a customer, and I'll admit, when they sent me that $500 Visa card, I almost signed up. I believe the promo was I could get U-Verse for the FIRST 12 MONTHS for only $79/month.....but I think it goes up to $129.99 after that.

Also, everyone that I know who has U-Verse with AT&T don't like it. I have a couple of co-workers who have had to return the box/modem twice (please excuse me if I'm not using the correct technical terms). Apparently, they got one modem for their television and internet; but the receiver/box/modem didn't have the capacity to operate both. If something happens with the television, the internet will be affected and vice versa. And if you have a HD television, you have to order digital or you won't get digital channels. And all said it is expensive.....even more expensive than Comcast and Cox.

But U-Verse is not affected by weather conditions.....I don't think you have to worry about losing a signal if it's a hard rain, ice storm or really bad weather.

I have Dish Network and I'm pretty happy with it....been having it for 4 years now.

If you have 3D tv Direct TV is the best. If you have HD TV Direct TV is the best. As you can tell I think Direct TV is the option. I would only get universe if they were the only internet provider.

Then again, I would only get Uverse internet and Direct TV.

This.

I've heard that for fast action movies and some sports, the HD quality on uverse is suspect.

I just switched from Dish to DirectV and am wondering why I waited so long. Direct offers more HD channels, and with the special they have now, you can the NFL package this year for free. Price wise, DirectV is competitive. Depending on your package, your monthly bill can range from $30 - $70 for the first 12 months, and then it will increase another $10 - $20 for the next 12 months.

As for the internet service, I would go with cable or DSL. If you go with satellite service, you should go DSL.

Direct offers more HD channels, and with the special they have now
Direct always have great specials. For new customers. :mad:

They seem to say to hell with old customers. I think I'm gonna call 'em and threaten to leave 'em and see what (if anything) they do to keep me. (hope they don't call my bluff, cause I damn shole aint going with comcast. :vomit: )

Thanks for the info everyone! I pay around $110 now for Uverse internet and cable, so it sounds like the move to Dish Network or Direct TV might be cheaper. For those of you that have Dish or Direct TV, which internet service did you go with? Still At&t or a different provider? I just went to the Direct TV webpage and saw they bundle with a lot of different internet providers. I am sold on them right now. Seems like it might be cheaper and the free NFL Sunday Ticket is a huge plus since I can't get too many Texans games up this way. Think I will give them a call later today to figure out my options. Thanks again!

They seem to say to hell with old customers. I think I'm gonna call 'em and threaten to leave 'em and see what (if anything) they do to keep me. (hope they don't call my bluff, cause I damn shole aint going with comcast. :vomit: )

:lol: :emlaugh:
(you are so right...I have been a directv customer for about 7 years)

what don't you like about them MH. Speak your mind LOL those promotions are nice, but I want to make sure my internet and cable bill is not shooting up to $175-200 a month after they are over. Uverse is straight because I get more channels than I did with Cox, better HD (that should tell you how Cox HD sucked), two DVR HD receivers, and pretty decent internet speeds for much cheaper than I did with Cox. Cox Bill was $150 a month, while Uverse is $110.

If I was you I would stick with Uverse, 110$ for Cable and internet is not bad. If it drizzles let alone rain hard enough direct tv goes out lol, its not worth the risk...

+1 on the Direct TV. I had Dish and had to let them go, they weren't willing to work with me I threatened to leave and I left, all I wanted was another DVR or HD receiver, and Dish would not budge. So I'm with Direct TV, and I haven't look back. More HD channels, more overall channels for less money, and two HD receivers.

As for Direct TV not caring about current customers, all of these companies are like that. They bait and entice for new customers, but forget the loyal customers. Or if they do something for you, they want you to sign a contract for way longer than you really should, considering you've stuck with them out of contract.

what don't you like about them MH. Speak your mind LOL those promotions are nice, but I want to make sure my internet and cable bill is not shooting up to $175-200 a month after they are over.
That is exactly what's gonna happen. After the promotions are over, the "good" rates, won't be so "good" anymore. The pricing then is pretty much the same as cable. But enjoy the promotional prices and deals while they last though.

and pop, you're right about them wanting you to sign a contract and the "deals" they offer old customers aint nowhere close to the good deals they lure you in with.

even with all that, I would pick Directv over comcast EVERY time.

Thanks for the info everyone! I pay around $110 now for Uverse internet and cable, so it sounds like the move to Dish Network or Direct TV might be cheaper. For those of you that have Dish or Direct TV, which internet service did you go with? Still At&t or a different provider? I just went to the Direct TV webpage and saw they bundle with a lot of different internet providers. I am sold on them right now. Seems like it might be cheaper and the free NFL Sunday Ticket is a huge plus since I can't get too many Texans games up this way. Think I will give them a call later today to figure out my options. Thanks again!

I have Dish Network and AT&T is my internet provider. I bought my house in 2008 and had AT&T as my internet provider before I moved and didn't want that to change.

When I lived back in Warren, I had Directv and it was awesome! The only reason I have Dish Network now is because they have the NFL Network and NFL Redzone. But Directv now has the NFL Network in addition to NFL Sunday Ticket. When I learned about this, I almost put in a pre-order to have my satellite services changed, but since I know how much my montly bill is now, I'm keeping Dish Network. I've never had a problem with them.

If I was you I would stick with Uverse, 110$ for Cable and internet is not bad. If it drizzles let alone rain hard enough direct tv goes out lol, its not worth the risk...

disagree.... my Direct TV has gone out ONCE and that was during a tornado when I shouldnt have had it on anyway. Never went out because of rain. I would NEVER go back to Cable. Cable doesnt offer the channels or options sattelite does.... Satellite has around 10 times more HD channels. I can play online games, Pandora, Youtube, watch 8 sports channels at once and get horiscopes, lottery numbers, download apps. Its basically like having an Android phone built into a cable box. With Cable you just watch TV... and pray they have an HD channel. I have every channel on DirecTV and my bill is much lower than my Comcast Bill was.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Does anyone ever purchase the equipment protection plan? Why or why not?

When I became a Dish customer back in 2008, the equipment protection plan was free. I remember when it came time for my equipment to be installed, the techs NEVER showed up. They didn't even call! Had me sitting at home ALL DAY waiting and they never showed up. I called Dish Network the next day and I was 100 miles past :angry:.......they gave me some ole crap, apologizing and such. But what made it worse was that when I re-scheduled my second appointment, I had to wait almost 3 weeks!:angry::angry:

When it came time for the second installation appointment, the techs did not show up at my house until a little past 8pm! Again, I was :angry: But the techs were honest and said that Dish Network was taking more orders and that it was impossible for the installation contractors to keep up. The guys did get me installed that night, but they said they had 3 more houses to do that day! And their sorry a** supervisor sat out in the truck the entire time and didn't lift a finger to help them!

I called Dish Network again the next day and told them about how I didn't get my services/equipment installed until 8 hours after my estimated appointment and that this was a 2nd time Dish failed in their customer service. I also told them I wanted to cancel my services and GO WITH DIRECTV. They then put a manager on the phone, who not only waived the equipment protection package plan, but waived my bill for the first 3 months.

Everyone that I know who has Uverse says the same thing......it's garbage.

It is. AT&T installed it out here in our neighborhood last year and I left cable to try it out. First of all it took them 4 days from the time I actually received the equipment until someone could come out and install it. Then when they did, the picture was horrible and I have a brand new HD 3D tv in my living room. The internet was slow and constantly had issues with it disconnecting and having to deal with AT&T's garbage tech support. I sent that ish back and told them what they can do with it.

Our HOA trips about the satellites being in the yard so if you get one it has to be ON the house. And I don't really want to put one up there so I just stick with the cable for now. I rarely get to watch tv much anymore anyways until football season so I just stick with the basic cable and internet. Pay like $60 a month and call it a day. I don't really need all the sports/movie channels since I can find like 99% of those on the net and just stream them to my tv anyways. A simple google search of "X live stream" usually finds me whatever I want to watch from cable. Plus it's a smart tv so the netflix, youtube, hulu, etc apps are built in. Now there was a time when I couldnt go without all those channels but now I couldn't really care less. As long as I can catch football games, news, walking dead and Boardwalk Empire im good. And with those people usually have the streams up within 30 minutes of it going off.

It is. AT&T installed it out here in our neighborhood last year and I left cable to try it out. First of all it took them 4 days from the time I actually received the equipment until someone could come out and install it. Then when they did, the picture was horrible and I have a brand new HD 3D tv in my living room. The internet was slow and constantly had issues with it disconnecting and having to deal with AT&T's garbage tech support. I sent that ish back and told them what they can do with it.

Our HOA trips about the satellites being in the yard so if you get one it has to be ON the house. And I don't really want to put one up there so I just stick with the cable for now. I rarely get to watch tv much anymore anyways until football season so I just stick with the basic cable and internet. Pay like $60 a month and call it a day. I don't really need all the sports/movie channels since I can find like 99% of those on the net and just stream them to my tv anyways. A simple google search of "X live stream" usually finds me whatever I want to watch from cable. Plus it's a smart tv so the netflix, youtube, hulu, etc apps are built in. Now there was a time when I couldnt go without all those channels but now I couldn't really care less. As long as I can catch football games, news, walking dead and Boardwalk Empire im good. And with those people usually have the streams up within 30 minutes of it going off.

That's the problem my sister is having.....the picture is good on some channels but not all, and she too has an HD 3D television.

And as I mentioned, a few co-workers aren't happy with the modem because you have to hook up the television and internet in the same box, so if something happens to the television, it will affect the internet. One of my co-workers was on the phone with AT&T about that, and about how they charged her for HBO.....she did not order HBO and was asking why they were charging her for it. No one could answer her. When she told them to remove it, they acted as if they couldn't understand why she didn't want it.

Her and other co-workers have said they've had to return equipment at least twice, and another co-worker said she didn't renew her services after her contract. She went with a satellite.

Last edited:
What provider to do you have? I remember Direct TV gave it free. if was 4 channels plus the PPV. I thought ESPN was sweet. Loved watched NBA and I could see the fouls as they occurred, didn't need to wait for replay. Also, thought it was cool you could see in the stand and out the court in crystal clarity.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/486939-Viacom_Says_DirecTV_May_Drop_26_Channels.php

Viacom Says DirecTV May Drop 26 Channels
Distribution agreement set to expire at midnight

By Jon Lafayette -- Broadcasting & Cable, 7/10/2012 8:36:48 AM
"As recently as today, we made significant economic movement in direct conversations with DirecTV," Viacom said in a blog post. "However, despite our best efforts, DirecTV has rejected all of our proposals to renew our agreement. This evening, DirecTV provided Viacom with a counter proposal that included a lower rate than Viacom receives from any other distributor in the industry. With this offer, our negotiations have reached an impasse."

Viacom said its agreement with DirecTV was seven years old and that it calls for below market rates for the Viacom networks, which account for 20% of all viewing on DirecTV but receive less than 5% of DirecTV's programming spending.

On its website, DirecTV said it has "absolutely no intention of removing your favorite Viacom networks...but unfortunately Viacom executives sent a letter to us late last night, forcing us to take these channels down by midnight tonight if we don't come to an agreement....

Back