UCD might join football conference

Jafus (Thinker)

UCD might join football conference

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/7837397p-8778036c.html

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 a.m. PST Sunday, November 23, 2003
It's not too late to get into a Fantasy Sports League. Sign up here.

Athletic directors from seven schools, including UC Davis' Greg Warzecka, will meet Dec. 8-9 in Las Vegas to continue talks about forming a new NCAA Division I-AA football conference.
The session will include discussing bylaws, schedules, management and possible names and logos. The earliest the league could come together is the fall of 2005.

"Everyone was very receptive, and everyone wants to make this happen," War-zecka said. "We're looking forward to the next meeting. We want to make it happen."
Said UCD football coach Bob Biggs: "No doubt, it's a great fit for all of us."

Biggs said he has long been tired of trying to fill his schedule, the same problem fellow independents and rivals Cal Poly and Saint Mary's have. He also wants play for a league championship.

"People say the Big Sky Conference is the best Division I-AA conference in the country," Biggs said. "I tell you what. We'd be right there with them. We just need time. I think it would be a terrific conference."

A potential snag is if the Big Sky looks seriously at adding North Dakota State or South Dakota State, and both schools have indicated that they would like to join that conference.

Back