UAPB

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
:smh:State Rep. Donna Hutchinson of Bella Vista says that the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff could keep its football team even if UAPB were converted into a two-year community college. That's insufficient inducement to make demotion appealing to the UAPB chancellor, Lawrence A. Davis Jr. At UALR, which was a junior college once, officials are equally cool to the idea of losing their university status. Indeed, it's likely that none of the state's four-year institutions would submit cheerfully to such a loss of status, and all the institutions have their legislative defenders.

Hutchinson knows that the proposal she's pondering would face stout resistance in the legislature. Still, she considers the issue important enough to justify boldness. She, and other legislators and educators around the country, are concerned about the high number of students taking remedial courses in four-year universities. The purpose of a four-year college is to provide a degree, she says, while ?Remediation is to get ready for college.? If students aren't ready for college after 12 years of public schooling ? and many of those who want to attend college are not ? then it's the job of the community college to make them ready, she says. The community colleges do much remedial work already. Each of the state community colleges has a remediation rate above 50 percent. The average is 77 percent.

http://www.arktimes.com/Articles/ArticleViewer.aspx?ArticleID=2da1808b-f693-4138-b310-7e34e8012d74

Where is Mike Huckabee, slicked eyed Will... A community College.. hell nall..:smh::smh:

Re: PeNut Butter (we let yall slide long enough)

i read the article and its has some good points however the route she wants to take is flawed. So wants to change status of universities to get the high school to produce better students...

This is a topic which merits serious discussion.

Nah, dawg. This is serious. We joke and ish on here, but this is one of our brother schools threatened. We and YOU should not joke about that.
Y'all can live without a stadium. UAPB won't exist for it's current mission if this crap gets pushed through.

Wonder why they won't propose that for U of A @ Fayetteville? They probably have just as many remedial classes there.

It doesn't matter which school it is or was about. Being happy or poking fun at the fact that a SWAC institution might be downgraded to a Junior/Community College is childish.

Typical of the school that posted this article to smack! This school that posted this is usually the one pocking fun at other schools! Sad! I know the powers that be at UAPB wouldn't let their Institution be downgraded to a Junior College!

That will never happen!

UAPB's mission is to provide a college education for everyone(open admission). There have been too many cases that students come in needing help in subjects and graduate with honors! EVERY UNIVERSITY has remedial courses!!! Don't be fooled by the headlines of this article, its just those red-necked crackers trying to shut not just UAPB but all HBCU's down!

reply from Donna:

The following is a response by Rep. Donna Hutchinson of Bella Vista regarding the July 17, 2008 article "Real Colleges teach Real College Courses":

Thank you for reading the report and then coming to the source seeking the facts. Let's first clarify what I said and what the reporter typed. The title was the reporter?s wording. I never said real colleges teach real college courses. I said colleges without remediation courses being offered have a different learning climate. The reporter ask who might be opposed to my idea--I replied universities that have more than 50% remediation might object. He ask what colleges would be in that category. I replied he could do his own research; I didn't know. The fact that the reporter narrowed his article to UAPB has nothing to do with me. He gathered the stats and decided to go after UAPB--not me. Please write your next letter to Doug Smith. Reporters enjoy writing articles and getting people upset and taking about THEIR report. Believe it or not, reporters have egos just like the rest of us.

I am a member of the Blackfoot Indian Tribe in Montana. I am inserting the data on living on the Blackfoot Reservation where I own land. Please don?t call any Native American a racist. I've lived in government subsidized apartment for years and there were many days I woke knowing there was nothing in the house to feed my children. I know the problems students from struggling communities must overcome to graduate from college. I want to increase their chances of earning a college degree. Many believe students such as children on reservations can?t learn so the schools lower their standards and give empty diplomas. They go to college unprepared. FACT: The more remedial courses a student must take--his chances of dropping out of college increase. The better prepared academically he is for university work--his chances of graduating increase. I am sure students graduating from UAPB receive an excellent education--I want to increase the number of those graduating.

Children coming from struggling communities CAN LEARN! It may take longer and the educators must work harder. Granted some students are socially ready to leave high school and some are age appropriate to leave high school but many aren't academically ready for college. That's where community colleges come into the picture. They can reteach the courses that a student should have learned in high school, so when a student hits the campus of a four-year university--his chances of graduation just increased. This isn't about failing universities. This is about failing jr and sr high schools.

I understand this idea was flown by the General Assembly before. It failed because schools thought they would lose their sports team. I don't care if a community college has a football team, dorms, offers scholarships or any of those extracurricular benefits. I want students to be prepared for academics on a university level. Period.

Our state has been grappling with this problem for decades and I agree with Dr. Davis, "Whatever we're doing now isn't working" Other states have made the decision that remediation courses must be taught in community colleges. They drew a line in the sand. The public schools had to change. They could no longer just pass students along hoping the next institution would finally do the job.

I have a question for you. In ten years, don't you want your public schools to be doing such a good job teaching students that none of them need to take remediation courses? I am interested in your views and please continue to share them. God bless.

Donna Hutchinson
Arkansas State Representative
District 98

I don't see where this addresses any of the issues I addressed in my email to her. I don't give a damn what kind of Indian she has in her. That sh it sounds flawed, illogical, and RACIST, and that's what I told that broad.
I didn't get a reply, though.

I don't see where this addresses any of the issues I addressed in my email to her. I don't give a damn what kind of Indian she has in her. That sh it sounds flawed, illogical, and RACIST, and that's what I told that broad.
I didn't get a reply, though.

Vinita, you won't. That was a reply to someone else's email. She has been swamped by the whole UAPB body.

I did find it very surprising that remedial classes were taught on the university level.

I thought College Algebra would be the lowest math offered, etc. etc

I always thought this was a scam to have students go to school for more than 4 four years
in order to get more tuition from them

Vinita, you won't. That was a reply to someone else's email. She has been swamped by the whole UAPB body.

As she should! :tup:

I did find it very surprising that remedial classes were taught on the university level.

I thought College Algebra would be the lowest math offered, etc. etc

I always thought this was a scam to have students go to school for more than 4 four years
in order to get more tuition from them

Just 'cause you didn't take them, doesn't mean they weren't offered. The best and brightest often have to have that "best" and "brightest" pulled out of 'em. It wasn't in public schools, very often, because no one bothered.

The problem this woman speaks of is not on the college level. Colleges offer these classes so that kids who DIDN'T get it in high school can get it well enough to be successful in college.

I know doctors, attorneys, teachers/administrators, researchers, business owners, and a whole lot of other people who graduated with honors from UAPB, and are productive members of their respective societies ... all of whom started out in those remedial classes on the Yard.

Just 'cause you didn't take them, doesn't mean they weren't offered. The best and brightest often have to have that "best" and "brightest" pulled out of 'em. It wasn't in public schools, very often, because no one bothered.

The problem this woman speaks of is not on the college level. Colleges offer these classes so that kids who DIDN'T get it in high school can get it well enough to be successful in college.

I know doctors, attorneys, teachers/administrators, researchers, business owners, and a whole lot of other people who graduated with honors from UAPB, and are productive members of their respective societies ... all of whom started out in those remedial classes on the Yard.

So True!!!

reply from Donna:

The following is a response by Rep. Donna Hutchinson of Bella Vista regarding the July 17, 2008 article "Real Colleges teach Real College Courses":

Thank you for reading the report and then coming to the source seeking the facts. Let's first clarify what I said and what the reporter typed. The title was the reporter?s wording. I never said real colleges teach real college courses. I said colleges without remediation courses being offered have a different learning climate. The reporter ask who might be opposed to my idea--I replied universities that have more than 50% remediation might object. He ask what colleges would be in that category. I replied he could do his own research; I didn't know. The fact that the reporter narrowed his article to UAPB has nothing to do with me. He gathered the stats and decided to go after UAPB--not me. Please write your next letter to Doug Smith. Reporters enjoy writing articles and getting people upset and taking about THEIR report. Believe it or not, reporters have egos just like the rest of us.

I am a member of the Blackfoot Indian Tribe in Montana. I am inserting the data on living on the Blackfoot Reservation where I own land. Please don?t call any Native American a racist. I've lived in government subsidized apartment for years and there were many days I woke knowing there was nothing in the house to feed my children. I know the problems students from struggling communities must overcome to graduate from college. I want to increase their chances of earning a college degree. Many believe students such as children on reservations can?t learn so the schools lower their standards and give empty diplomas. They go to college unprepared. FACT: The more remedial courses a student must take--his chances of dropping out of college increase. The better prepared academically he is for university work--his chances of graduating increase. I am sure students graduating from UAPB receive an excellent education--I want to increase the number of those graduating.

Children coming from struggling communities CAN LEARN! It may take longer and the educators must work harder. Granted some students are socially ready to leave high school and some are age appropriate to leave high school but many aren't academically ready for college. That's where community colleges come into the picture. They can reteach the courses that a student should have learned in high school, so when a student hits the campus of a four-year university--his chances of graduation just increased. This isn't about failing universities. This is about failing jr and sr high schools.

I understand this idea was flown by the General Assembly before. It failed because schools thought they would lose their sports team. I don't care if a community college has a football team, dorms, offers scholarships or any of those extracurricular benefits. I want students to be prepared for academics on a university level. Period.

Our state has been grappling with this problem for decades and I agree with Dr. Davis, "Whatever we're doing now isn't working" Other states have made the decision that remediation courses must be taught in community colleges. They drew a line in the sand. The public schools had to change. They could no longer just pass students along hoping the next institution would finally do the job.

I have a question for you. In ten years, don't you want your public schools to be doing such a good job teaching students that none of them need to take remediation courses? I am interested in your views and please continue to share them. God bless.

Donna Hutchinson
Arkansas State Representative
District 98

I know by now since this aritcle was written she got some Blackfeet prints on her azz.
Anyway the UofA board at Fayetteville and the business community in Little Rock and Pine Bluff will not let this happen.Too much to lose and nothing to gain. She should realize that newspaper reporters don't make laws,congressman and representatives do.Reporters do what they are trained to do and that is to dig into the issues that could be a secret agenda by some coniving lawmaker. Ironically just like a lawyer would do.

I know this is the truth. I friend of mine while in college at Alcorn State was enrolled in Remedial Composition and Math graduated Magna Cum Laude. He is now a Pharmacist in Baltimore, MD.

I know this is the truth. I friend of mine from college at Alcorn State was enrolled in Remedial Composition and Math. He graduated Magna Cum Laude. He also graduated from the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, one of the top pharmacy schools in the nation. He is now a Pharmacist in Baltimore, MD.

Back