U.S Hispanics outnumber Blacks

Quietstorm

memba2change4thabetta
WASHINGTON (Jan. 21) -- Hispanics have surpassed blacks as the nation's largest minority group, the Census Bureau said Tuesday.

The Latino population grew to 37 million in July 2001, up 4.7 percent from April 2000. The black population increased 2 percent during the same period, to 36.1 million.

The estimates are the Census Bureau's first statistics on race and ethnicity since results from the 2000 census were released two years ago.

Census Bureau demographer Roberto Ramirez said it has long been expected that Hispanics would someday surpass blacks because their birth and immigration rates are higher.

''And the trend shows it will clearly be increasing more in the future,'' Ramirez said.

Hispanics now comprise nearly 13 percent of the U.S. population, which grew to 284.8 million in July 2001. That's up from 35.3 million, or 12.5 percent of the country's 281.4 million residents in April 2000.

Blacks make up 12.7 percent of the nation's population, up from 12.6 percent in April 2000. The black population grew by 700,000 in the 15 months after the census was released.

Whites remained the largest single population group, numbering about 199.3 million in July 2001, nearly 70 percent of all U.S. residents.

Asians are the next largest minority group after blacks and Hispanics, at about 12.1 million, or 4 percent of the population.

A breakdown by state was not released.

The 2000 census, for the first time, allowed people to check off more than one racial category, increasing the number of possible choices for racial origin from five in 1990 to 63.

A separate question also asks if someone is of Hispanic ethnicity. The federal government considers ''Hispanic'' an ethnicity instead of a race, so people of Hispanic ethnicity can be of any race.

Population figures for black, white and Asian refer to those who are not Hispanic.

AP-NY-01-21-03 1805EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Do Texas HBCUs have a plan?

Looks to me like HBCUs in Texas need to gear up to accomodate hispanics. No such thing as HHCUs. :D

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Yes there are. They just not in the US.

And as far as hispanics outnumbering us, I find that hard to believe.

Originally posted by Justin

And as far as hispanics outnumbering us, I find that hard to believe.

Take a trip to Texas, California, Arizona or S Florida. You'll become a believer.

I guess I need to enroll in the spanish class I've been thinking about.

HHCUs?

Yes there are. They just not in the US. And as far as hispanics outnumbering us, I find that hard to believe.

I was implying no HHCUs in the US, but looks like that's not true either.

Yes, there may be predominantly Hispanic colleges, but do they have a network like the HBCUs, sports conferences so on and so forth? Where are the HHCUs located? The HBCU "CG" is in the southeast for all practical purposes; is the HHCU "CG" in Arizona? New Mexico?

Here are some Hispanic Serving Institutions.

University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM

University of Texas at El Paso

Texas Pan American in deep south Texas

Texas A&M Kingsville - formerly Texas A&I

New Mexico Highlands

There are schools in Florida (I think Florida International is one.) and California. I think that there is one in Illinois. But they do exist.

Here in Houston; the University of Houston's supposed claim to fame is being the most diverse school in the nation. They have a large number of Hispanics on their campus.

Re: Do Texas HBCUs have a plan?

Originally posted by Bartram
Looks to me like HBCUs in Texas need to gear up to accomodate hispanics. No such thing as HHCUs. :D

No, Hispanics will attend PWC'S before they attend HBCU'S:)

Back