TxSU's.., Coach Courtney @ UH ?

Quietstorm

memba2change4thabetta
I could not find the link, however it is in the Houston Chronicle sports section. Coach Ronnie Courtney is listed as a possible candidate for the new Head Basketball Coach at University of Houston.

Top Candidates are

John Lucas - (Top Candidate) former NBA coach

Josh Pastner - Arizona Assistant

Dave Rose - BYU Assisstant

Larry Eustachy - former Iowa State Coach

Billie Gillispie - UTEP coach

Joe Curl - UH women's coach

Micheal Young - UH Assisstant

Ronnie Courtney TSU coach (like Art Briles, he was a sensation as a High School Coach, and he got the Tigers to the NCAA's last year)

Ron Cotrell - Houston Baptist University Coach

Rudy Tomjonavich - Former Rockets Coach

I was looking for Coach Francis of PV to be listed as a candidate since he was an Assisstant @ UH before signing on with PV. Looking at this season's results I guess that would be a long shot !

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
THanks for posting the link Jag Voice,

I know he is listed as a long shot, but i think he will have a legitimate chance if the Tigers can pull off another NCAA appearance this weekend after the SWAC tourney !

John Lucas sounds the best...he has the big name AND the experience as a coach.

Rudy T probably doesn't have the patience.

Isn't Josh Pastner that young guy who applied for the TxSO job...then he was like 23 or 24 years old.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Isn't Josh Pastner that young guy who applied for the TxSO job...then he was like 23 or 24 years old.

Yes, he applied for the TxSU job as well as the PV job. Let's see if UH will give him a shot !

Originally posted by Tigerpride

Yes it is, he even applied for the job at PV when it was open. He is a AAU coach in the summer around Houston.

My first thought was the coach from HBU (Cottrell), he's had them on the right track for a long time and he knows the area and gets good players for his program.

John Lucas - nope.....wasn't successful as a NBA coach...he conducts summer workouts with prospective NBA players and would not want to give that up due to NCAA rules. Same situation as Clyde.

They want Nolan

Originally posted by the band fan
John Lucas - nope.....wasn't successful as a NBA coach...he conducts summer workouts with prospective NBA players and would not want to give that up due to NCAA rules. Same situation as Clyde.

He was successful at San Antonio those 2 seasons. The sixers and Cavs gave him no hope to succeed.

he cheated with the Cavs....I doubt that's the kind of guy you want to bring him..hell, they did not even recruit his first son.

Lucas would not sell tickets contray to what you believe, plus, the college game ain't the pro game with all those rules.

If Courtney was white and won or TSU was white, he would've been gone last year....

UH wanted him in 2001...as an assistsant to lure TJ Ford.

Originally posted by the band fan
he cheated with the Cavs....I doubt that's the kind of guy you want to bring him..hell, they did not even recruit his first son.
Are you talking about when he allowed Lebron to play in the summer with the Cavs? How is that cheating? People do that all the time...he was only reprimanded because everyone knew the Cavs would draft Lebron in 2003. Otherwise, it would not have been an issue...it didn't do anything to help anyone.

Lucas coached in a couple of places where is was hard from anyone to win. He needed good players, like anyone does, and was not given too many in order to win.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Let's be honest, Ronnie Courtney would be a fool if he wasn't interested in the U of H position.

It was reported yesterday on Sports Radio 610, that Ray McCallum (sp), was making $350K a year at U of H. This is nearly "3" times a much as SWAC Head Football Coach's make.

The mere fact that Coach Courtney is even being considered, shows that TSU made the right choice when they named him Head Coach two years ago.

The bottom line is, everyone wants to advance in their careers. TSU or no other SWAC school can afford to pay a Head Basketball Coach $350K per year. It not that he's disrespecting TSU, by being interested in the U of H position, it's just Economics...........

Furthermore, it was also stated that Rudy T, would not be interested because he is still receiving over $2 MM per year from the Rockets.

Also, many of the Coaches listed above will also be applying for the soon to vacant job at Texas A&M, which pay even more than the U of H job.

TrueBlue:

I actually don't think UH is considering Courney.... Some reporter just mentioned his name to generate local conversation like they often do.

If you know how UH operates, they are not about to hire an unproven coach from one of worst conferences in college basketball. Maybe if the SWAC was a better B-Ball conference, he would get a shot but I don't see it now.

Originally posted by Jag Voice
TrueBlue:

I actually don't think UH is considering Courney.... Some reporter just mentioned his name to generate local conversation like they often do.

If you know how UH operates, they are not about to hire an unproven coach from one of worst conferences in college basketball. Maybe if the SWAC was a better B-Ball conference, he would get a shot but I don't see it now.

Well, again if Courtney can pull off another NCAA appearance. I would not be surprised if he is given some consideration. Courtney, is well known in the Houston area. As far as recruiting the Houston area along with U of H's facilities and resources it should be easier for him to recruit on a national level for U of H than it would be for TxSU. I guess time will only tell to see if they (UH) would really consider him.

I really don't think UH is considering Courtney. If you look at it..TSU hasn't achieved much under his watch. Aside from last years tourny championship, they really have been mediocre. I think that will be a big disadvantage considering the SWAC isn't a basketball conference.

Meanwhile, since you guys really wanna know what I've heard today. Expect some "for sale" signs to pop up in a couple yards in College Station after the Big 12 Tournament is completed. Billy Gillespie (if he chooses) has whatever lane he chooses for that spot. In regards to the Coog gig, the "hound dogs" are out in full blast. New names are popping up each hour. Either you can believe it today or believe it tomorrow, but the latest names added to Cougar "pool play" includes; Frank Haith (Texas), Kevin "Ice" Lewis (TCU), Buzz Williams (Colorado St), Reid Gettys, & Jerry Francis (PV). All five have been contacted by one of the "shadow people" regarding the job.

Back