Triangle Tribune Slanders The NCCU "Sound Machine"

Bro. Askia

Dear NCCU "Sound Machine" Marching Band Fans:
http://www.nccu.edu/campus/smachine

A very recent newspaper article that was written in a recent issue of the Triangle Tribune, (A consolidated Media Group Newspaper) located in Durham, NC, referred to the NCCU "Sound Machine" Marching Band as "A disgusting Spectacle of R-rated Entertainment".

The article also seemed to criticize Division II HBCU bands via suggesting that those bands mimic each other in some form or fashion, via performing the same song or performing gyrating moves the author refers to as dirty and vulgar HUMPS.

The article went on to claim that the HUMPS (the author describes as: where everybody squats and humps at the rate of a jackhammer on concrete) is reserved for the finale.

The author further stated: "I don't know if members of the "Sound Machine" were trying to keep warm in the cool temperatures or what, but they started out "humping" and they didn't stop until the last note was played".

The author also stated "the crowd wasn't as enthusiastic with its usual applause as usual. Obviously, they had been humped into a coma".

In all fairness to The Triangle Tribune, please pick up a copy of this newspaper and read this article of question, and judge for your self.

Please don't get me wrong, This is not a personal issue with this author, because I have the upmost respect for her work and I especially enjoy her articles regarding HBCU athletics and I always try to read her sports articles. When I view her in the public, she seems to be a very warm and cordial attractive young lady, who is very professional at all times and is, in my opinion, a very bright rising star in the world of sports journalism.

However, I must strongly take exception and objection to the author's personal opinions, that were expressed regarding the NCCU "Sound Machine" and HBCU Division II Marching bands.

1. First of all, the author only seemed to express her one sided malicious opinion and did not mention anything else regarding the musical skills of the Band members or about the field show formations or about the skill of the band regarding the types, styles and variety of music played by the "Sound Machine".

2. I do not know where this so called "R" rating system, the author refers to, is coming from. I know of no type of rating system for College Marching Bands. To suggest such a thing is at best, misleading to the public that such a rating system legally exists.

3. The author's reference to HBCU Division II Marching Bands and the suggestion that only HBCU Division II Marching bands mimic each other in some form or fashion, is an insult and a slap in the face to all HBCU Marching bands in ALL Divisions (Including Division I, Division III and the NAIA Division system). I wonder if she is suggesting that other Band Divisions create ideas for their shows differently and that there are no quality Division II bands? If that is the case, shame on her for her ignorance, lack of history or knowledge and her apparent indifference to the HBCU Marching Band traditions.

The Band Plays On
http://www.blackvoices.com/feature/bhm_01/bp_essay.html

4. The NCCU "Sound Machine" which includes its Director, Assistant Director, Students and staff, are a class act and very fine individuals who are dedicated to hard work and very long hours to always insure that they give the up-most support and entertainment to the NCCU Athletics teams, the fans, the students, alumni and the community. How dare the author to suggest that those very fine and dedicated young men and women are a "A disgusting Spectacle of R-rated Entertainment". Her comments along those lines are totally inappropriate, disappointing and hurtful to our student members of the NCCU "Sound Machine".

5. We believe that an apology is in order from the Triangle Tribune regarding their "R" rated Entertainment comments regarding the NCCU "Sound Machine".

If after reading the aforementioned newspaper article that was featured in the Triangle Tribune and you feel as offended as I do regarding many of the comments in this article, please respond to The Triangle Tribune via E-mail at: duredt@mindspring.com or telephone them at: (919) 688-9408 or send them your comments in writing at: 119 Market Street, Durham, NC, 27701.

Thank You From:

The NCCU Sound Machine Booster Club
http://NCCUsmbc.tripod.com

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back