Tragedy at club in Chicago!

mighty hornet

The HMIC!!
Chicago club stampede kills at least 21

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- At least 21 people were killed and 19 others critically injured when hundreds of panicked nightclub patrons rushed down a stairwell and were crushed early Monday, police said.

"There was a disturbance or altercation in the bar in which pepper spray or Mace may have been used -- some sort of stampede occurred," said Police Officer Ozzie Rodriguez.

At least 11 people were being treated for less serious injuries.

There were between 500 and 1,000 people inside the Epitome Nightclub, according to Chicago Fire Department Cmdr. Will Knight.

Many of the victims were trampled or crushed as they rushed to the club's exits.

"They were all coming out the front door," Knight told CNN Radio. "Our firefighters had to cut the door open from the rear of the building."

Knight said the area was being treated as a crime scene.

Survivors told horror stories. "Everybody smashed; people crying, couldn't breathe," patron Reggie Clark told The Associated Press. "Two ladies next to me died. A guy under me passed out."

Cory Thomas, 33, said he was waiting outside the club with friends when the stampede occurred, according to the AP.

"You could see a mound of people," Thomas told the AP. "People were stacking on top of each other, screaming and gagging, I guess from the pepper spray. The door got blocked because there were too many people stacked up against it.

"I saw them taking out a pregnant woman," Thomas said. "She was in bad shape. I saw at least 10 lifeless bodies."

Some club patrons opened doors and went into broom closets. Apparently there was only one way down from the second level to the first, contributing to the problem.

Firefighters had to pull trampled bodies out of stairwells.

"They're stuck in the hallway. They literally can't move," a panicked patron told police.

"She's not breathing. She's not breathing," a man called to medics as he helped load the limp body of a woman into the back of an ambulance.

The incident began around 3 a.m. CST (4 a.m. EST). The nightclub is at 24th Street and South Michigan Avenue.

I heard about this on the radio this morning on my way into work. I can remember attending a party back while I was in college and a fight broke. Folks were running for the door pushing and shoving. It got pretty ugly. No one was killed but a few people were hurt pretty bad.

I can see the phones ringing in the big Chicago area law firms.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Very unfortunate... the stampedes remind of the ones on Bourbon Street during the Bayou Classic. The feeling is like ducking 50 bullets aimed at you.

Man, that is the worst feeling in the world. Panic. It reminds me of times in Thibodaux at Club Beedy's when someone yelled "he got a gun! " That was a feeling of no contol. My body was moving toward the door, but my feet were not taking me there. The crowd moved me. I don't like crowded areas like that...

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
Man, that is the worst feeling in the world. Panic. It reminds me of times in Thibodaux at Club Beedy's when someone yelled "he got a gun! " That was a feeling of no contol. My body was moving toward the door, but my feet were not talking me there. The crowd moved me. I don't like crowded areas like that...

She said "Beady's". I have never been in that place, but you brought back some memories with that one. :emlaugh:

Sad situation. But why in the what in the world is a pregnant lady doing at the club at 3:00 am?

Originally posted by Beer Man
Sad situation. But why in the what in the world is a pregnant lady doing at the club at 3:00 am?

I don't see your point. Pregnant women can continue to with their normal lives. Problem in this situation is the pushing and shoving while trying to exit the establishment.

That's why I don't go to crowded clubs anymore.....:shame:

Cause it only takes one 'spark' and all hell breaks loose.....

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
Man, that is the worst feeling in the world. Panic. It reminds me of times in Thibodaux at Club Beedy's when someone yelled "he got a gun! " That was a feeling of no contol. My body was moving toward the door, but my feet were not taking me there. The crowd moved me. I don't like crowded areas like that...

Beedy's huh? Man, this club was the talk back in the day. I have never been, but all my boys were Hwy 1 or 308 down Bayou Lafourche heading that way (from D'ville) when it was hot.

I was in school at NSU.. so that is where most of the black frats and sororities held their parties after NSU clowned about non-NSU students being at the party.

I am currently searching for one of my best freinds; I don't know where he is and he hasn't been returning my calls like he normally would. That kind of crowd was kind of young for him...but Sundays at E2 had become a popular and clickish type of set to hang out at.

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90

I basically feel the same way.

I once went to the very same club when it used to call the "Clique" (1995). It was packed in like sardines then.

Sad! Sad! Sad! :smh:

Official: Chicago club was told to close second floor

21 killed in rush down staircase for exit
Monday, February 17, 2003 Posted: 10:59 PM EST (0359 GMT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- The owner of a building where 21 people died early Monday in a stampede from a second-floor nightclub was under court order not to use the second floor because the structure didn't meet city building codes, Chicago officials said late Monday.

"The owner knows damn well that he is not to open that second-floor facility," Chicago Fire Commissioner James Joyce said.

But the owner's attorney disputed that charge, saying that an agreement reached in October between the club, called E2, and the city allowed it to operate, as long as a lounge on the north side of the building remained closed.

The attorney, Andre Grant, said the club's operations were "open and well-publicized" and that the city was "100 percent aware" that it was being used.

City officials plan to seek criminal contempt charges against the building's owner, Lesly Motors, possibly as soon as Tuesday, said Dorthy Capers, a city attorney.

In July 2002, Motors and the holder of the building's liquor license, Le Mirage Inc., were ordered not to use the second floor after city inspectors cited the establishment for 11 building code violations. The dispute triggered three court hearings, Capers said.

Joyce said the violations included "shoddy" rehabilitation work, and stairwells and exit lights that were not up to code.

Twelve woman and nine men, ranging in age from 21 to 43, died in the crush of people trying to exit down a fight of stairs from E2, in the city's Near South Side neighborhood.

More than 50 people were injured. Police Superintendent Terry Hillard said the exact number of injured cannot be determined because some victims apparently sought treatment on their own.

CNN has obtained a copy of a letter sent to the nightclub two months ago from leaders of a community organization called Bringing About Reform, who complained about "extreme overcrowding" in E2 that might be "catastrophic."

"You must not sacrifice human beings for profit," the letter said.

Witnesses said hundreds rushed for the door about 3 a.m. (4 a.m. EST) after security guards used pepper spray and Mace to break up a fight between two female patrons.

When some of the patrons began to vomit or pass out -- apparently from the chemical fumes -- the crowd scrambled to get down the club's single open staircase leading outside.

Fire official: Blocked exits not a factor in deaths

Joyce said laundry bags blocked a back door out of the building, and some other exits were locked. However, he said that apparently did not contribute to the incident because all of those who died were trying to escape down the stairwell to the main entrance.

"It's a natural tendency for people to try to exit the way they came in," he said.

Joyce also said that earlier reports that firefighters had to use sledgehammers and crowbars to open doors to rescue victims turned out to be incorrect.

One witness described the scene:"The smaller women were getting pushed and stamped on because the bigger guys were really trying to make headway to get out the door, but once they came to the main entrance, it just kind of like got stuck."

"People just died in my arms," club patron Tonita Matthews told the Chicago NBC television affiliate, according to Reuters. (Witness accounts)

Dr. Christopher Beach, a physician at the scene who treated some of the victims, said the deaths appeared to be the result of "traumatic asphyxiation from being squeezed so tightly in a packed crowd."

"You can't expand your lungs and get oxygen to your brain or your heart in a situation like that," Beach said on CNN's "Connie Chung Tonight." He said brain damage leading to death can begin in four to five minutes.

Hillard said witnesses were still being interviewed to determine the sequence of events that triggered the stampede, terming it a "complicated puzzle that we have to put together and we're attempting to put together." Videotape taken by cameras in the building was being downloaded and reviewed, he said.

Hillard said that under Illinois law, use of pepper spray by a security guard would be legal, but he said using it in a crowded nightclub showed "very poor judgment."

Grant said no one associated with E2 or Epitome used the pepper spray. He said initial indications are that it was used by security personnel hired by the promoter of an event being held at the club.

In October, officers from the fire department did a walk-through inspection of the downstairs restaurant, which had a posted maximum capacity of 327 people. But Joyce said the upstairs was not inspected because it was not supposed to be in use. For the same reason, a maximum occupancy number was not posted for the nightclub.

Officials have yet to make a definitive estimate of how many people were inside E2 at the time, but Joyce said preliminary estimates put the number between 500 and 1,000.

All but one of the victims had been identified as of Monday evening, and medical examiners were still determining causes of death, Hillard said. (Full story)

E2 had a largely black clientele. Chicago civil rights leader the Rev. Jesse Jackson held a prayer service near the club Monday and also met with family members of the victims.

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90

basically, you can find me in a hole-in-the wall in a minute........:shades:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I have followed that story a lot and it is nothing short of terrible.
:( :(

I see where R. Kelly has pledged $3K to each of the 21 families who lost someone.

Back