Totten had so many moments, but beating JSU was best

Devilsh1

The Preeminent One!
Totten had so many moments, but beating JSU was best

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Willie Totten threw for more yards in a game during his record-setting career at Mississippi Valley State. He threw for more touchdowns.

Greatest Quarterbacking Moments

1. Willie Totten, '84 vs. JSU: Directed Valley's first win over JSU in 27 years
2. Willie Totten, '84 vs. Southern U: Hit 46 of 66 passes for 553 yards, 5 TDs

3. Willie Totten, '84 vs. Grambling: Threw GW TD to Jerry Rice with 1:55 left

4. Willie Totten, '84 vs. Ky. St: Hit 46 of 67 passes for 699 yards, 9 TDs

5. Willie Totten, '84 vs. Alcorn: 42-28 loss before SRO crowd of 63,808

Yet there's one game that stands out more than any other in his view ? the Mississippi Valley State-Jackson State game in 1984.

"Of all the games, I felt like that game was the highlight of my career," said Totten, who is beginning his first season as head football coach at his alma mater. "That game really brings excitement every time I look back on it."

Totten generated plenty of excitement that magical September Saturday night, throwing for 526 yards and five touchdowns to lead Valley to a 49-32 victory before 50,337 at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.

The win ended 27 years of frustration for the Delta Devils, who defeated Jackson State for the first time since 1954. It was the first time they hadn't lost to the Tigers since the teams played to a 6-6 tie in 1956.

"That made it even more special," said Totten, who completed 30 of 50 passes, 15 going to Jerry Rice.

So special that Valley coach Archie "Gunslinger" Cooley spent the final minutes of the game parading up and down the sidelines waving a green and white banner. When the victory was complete, he led the Delta Devils on a victory lap around the field.

"We did the impossible tonight," Cooley said afterwards.

Valley operated without a huddle the entire game and used an array of sets, the likes of which hadn't been seen away from the sandlots. Those sets confused JSU, often leaving single coverage on Rice, who caught four of Totten's touchdown passes.

"When Totten looked over JSU's defense, he didn't bat an eye," wrote then-Clarion-Ledger sports writer Roscoe Nance.

Totten told Nance: "We knew if we got the ball we could score no matter what Jackson (State) did."

The 49 points were then the most ever given up by a Jackson State team. The Tigers actually got off light. The Delta Devils' "Satellite Express" offense had totaled 86 and 77 points in previous wins over Kentucky State and Washburn, respectively.

"Going into that game they were saying we were just a fluke," Totten said. "We had put up a lot of points in our first couple of games, but they said we hadn't played anybody. They said we weren't going to do that against them. So there was a lot of hype.

"Then we go in there and beat them pretty good. We put up some pretty big numbers on them."

Totten was so impressive that night, then-Jackson Daily News sports editor Rick Cleveland wrote of Totten: "He's tall, strong and accurate. He's like Reggie Collier with touch."

"I remember Cooley telling (JSU coach W.C.) Gorden before the game that we were going to throw it every time," former Valley athletic director and sports information director Chuck Prophet said. "They knew we were going to pass and couldn't stop it."

Totten, then a junior, went on to throw for 50 NCAA records, passing himself and the Valley program into the national spotlight. He was the first quarterback to be voted All-SWAC four straight years.

"He had so many big games," Prophet said. "It's tough to pick out just one.

Did Totten ever go pro?

Forgive my ignorance on this matter. With those kinds of records, I figure he should have made at least the USFL or CFL, if not, been in the NFL.

Does anyone know of Totten's pro career?

LaMont

Today, he would have been a first round pick, but a black QB in the league then, no team was willing.

When the NFL players went on strike Totten was one of the scrub replacement players. He didn't generate enough interest to hang on when the real boys came back!

Back