Top basketball prospect DeMarcus Cousins commits to UAB

DAHILL

medium_cousins.jpeg

I dont know how the hell UAB coach Mike Davis pulled this one off. Cousins had offers from every major school in the country. Alabama fans are HEATED...saying they should shut down the athletics program at UAB. I think they are upset because UABs basketball team is the best college program in the state.

Top basketball prospect DeMarcus Cousins commits to UAB
Posted by Birmingham News Staff February 29, 2008 11:36 AM
Categories: Sports

DeMarcus Cousins gives UAB head basketball coach Mike Davis a solid start on what Davis thinks will be one of the best recruiting classes in the nation in 2009.

Cousins, a 6-foot-9, 245-pound junior from LeFlore High of Mobile, said on Friday that he will play for Davis at UAB. He's expected to sign a national letter of intent in the early signing period this fall.

Cousins is the No. 4 ranked junior in the nation by Scout.com and No. 5 on the Hoops Top 100 ranking by Rivals.com. His junior year ended on Thursday when LeFlore dropped a 63-59 decision to Hillcrest-Tuscaloosa in the Class 6A state championship semifinals.

Steve Irvine

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
hmmm...playing in Birmingham or Tuscaloosa....Memphis proves you don't need to be a power conference to be No. 1

I watched the UA and Auburn game on Sunday...did nothing to get me excited

hmmm...playing in Birmingham or Tuscaloosa....Memphis proves you don't need to be a power conference to be No. 1

I watched the UA and Auburn game on Sunday...did nothing to get me excited

Auburn probably has the best coach in the state. Their program just has to be the unluckiest in the country. I swear he has had 5 injuries at the beginning of every season since he has been at Auburn. This year they are down to 5 players on scholarship do to injury.

Bama just needs a coach. Gottried probably will be fired at the end of this season. Alabama has a TALENTED team with several high school All Americans. He can recruit but cant coach worth a damn. Bama signed JaMychal Green this year. He is a McDonald All American out of Montgomery

I knew something was up lol... Come to find out Cousins committed to MIKE DAVIS, not to UAB... Basically he is saying he will play wherever Mike Davis is coaching. Now people are saying that the whole situation is being used as a package deal to get Mike Davis into an SEC coaching position.

Cousins to play for Davis
LeFlore star to suit up for coach wherever he may be next season
Saturday, March 01, 2008
By MIKE HERNDON
Sports Reporter

DeMarcus Cousins first met Mike Davis when he was in the eighth grade and Davis was the head coach at Indiana.

A lot has changed since then. Cousins has become a towering 6-foot-10 specimen and has honed his game to the point of being ranked the No. 5 prospect nationally in the Class of 2009 by Rivals.com. He has moved from Birmingham to Mobile, while Davis moved from Indiana to Birmingham.

But for Cousins, one thing has stayed the same: He wants to play college basketball for Davis.

On Friday, one day after Cousins' LeFlore team lost to Hillcrest-Tuscaloosa in the 6A state semifinals at the Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center, Cousins announced at the Sheraton down the street that he will play college basketball for Davis, wherever Davis might be coaching next year.

"He's just been there since the beginning," said Cousins, who met Davis while attending a camp three years ago. "We just hit it right off."

Davis is currently the head coach at UAB, but could be in the mix for several job openings or jobs rumored to possibly be open soon. "I've been hearing rumors that he was going to LSU, South Carolina or Alabama," Cousins told the Press-Register in a phone interview before the announcement. John Brady was recently fired at LSU, Dave Odom is retiring at South Carolina, and speculation is rampant that Mark Gottfried's job may be in jeopardy at Alabama. Davis is a former Crimson Tide star.

While admitting "it's a possibility" that his commitment might affect Davis' chances of landing a new job, he said that's not the reason he decided to make his announcement Friday.

"It's a personal decision," he said. "After the loss, my mom and I sat down and talked. I'm taking it one day at a time and today was that day."

Cousins played at Erwin High in Birmingham last year, but was suspended from the team for undisclosed disciplinary reasons and did not finish the season with the team. He transferred initially to another Birmingham-area school, Clay-Chalkville, but withdrew after the Alabama High School Athletic Association declared him and two other incoming transfers ineligible to participate in athletics at the school. Clay-Chalkville was subsequently fined $900 and given a one-year probation for violating the AHSAA's recruiting rule by contacting Cousins prior to his transfer.

So Cousins moved instead to LeFlore last fall and averaged 17.3 points and 7.6 rebounds for the Rattlers this season. He posted 16 points and three blocked shots in LeFlore's 63-59 loss to Hillcrest Thursday.

Cousins, a post man who is also a skilled passer and shooter, said he believes his game is well-suited to Davis' offense. "It's fast-paced and it's also half-court," Cousins said, "so it suits my game real well."

Cousins, who said he still plans to take some recruiting visits, said he believes the chances are good Davis will be coaching in the SEC next year. Asked what will happen if Davis stays at UAB, Cousins replied, "That's a whole other decision that I have to make."

Interesting!!! (thanks Jafus)

Davis worked the player from Hillcrest now dominating at Indiana in a simliar fashion. Thad Ftizpatricks was included in the deal.

Dahill, Gottrieds buyout is 3Mils. Is there enough interest in the program to make such a move? I believes Gottfried is safe but if they go for a minority hire it will be TR Dunn who qualified for his NBA coaching pension this year.

Interesting!!! (thanks Jafus)

Davis worked the player from Hillcrest now dominating at Indiana in a simliar fashion. Thad Ftizpatricks was included in the deal.

Dahill, Gottrieds buyout is 3Mils. Is there enough interest in the program to make such a move? I believes Gottfried is safe but if they go for a minority hire it will be TR Dunn who qualified for his NBA coaching pension this year.

like they said on the Alabama football forum... they can raise 3 million easily selling hotdogs at the A-Day game next month lol

the name that most Alabama fans have been bringing up SUPRISINGLY is an African American. The head coach at VCU in Richmond. He was going to take over at Florida until Donavan changed his mind and left the Magic to go back to Florida.

here is a picture of him.

t1_grant_vcu.jpg

like they said on the Alabama football forum... they can raise 3 million easily selling hotdogs at the A-Day game next month lol

the name that most Alabama fans have been bringing up SUPRISINGLY is an African American. The head coach at VCU in Richmond. He was going to take over at Florida until Donavan changed his mind and left the Magic to go back to Florida.

here is a picture of him.

t1_grant_vcu.jpg

He was on LSU's short list for a while too.

Back