Tomatoes

Did food sellers overreact to tomato scare?

ATLANTA - It?s the beginning of the summer, and it?s tough to find fresh salsa for our chips and tomatoes for our burgers.

But experts say supermarkets and fast food chains that threw out tomatoes suspected in a salmonella outbreak were acting aggressively to protect their customers? health and avoid a consumer backlash.

And a federal government that?s been sluggish in the past is being more responsive, said consumer advocates. It hasn?t been pretty, however. It?s been a little like trying to cut a tomato with a dull knife.

Rest story

Re: Did food sellers overreact to tomato scare?

It's better to be safe than sorry...I threw all mine out.

Doesn't bother me! I don't eat tomatoes or salsa.

I can understand the stores, but at home we all should be washing all veggies and fruits off with detergent in the first place. Not just plain water. That's why I don't anyones cooking. I have never trusted that pre-washed stuff in the first place.

If the tomato has salmonella...washing the outside of it, ain't good enough. I know that's what they were reporting to do on the news, but that's not enough.

CEE, I don't know too many folks that actually wash their food with detergent, dear. :vomit:

If the tomato has salmonella...washing the outside of it, ain't good enough. I know that's what they were reporting to do on the news, but that's not enough.

CEE, I don't know too many folks that actually wash their food with detergent, dear. :vomit:

I meant to say liquid detergent like Joy or Dawn. :lol: Not washing powder. :lol:

It's better to be safe than sorry...I threw all mine out.

I didn't have to throw mine out. I got mine fresh from a relative's garden. So hopefully the salmonella didn't reach his little garden down in Southern Alabama!!!

I think I ate all the others I had before the report came out. No adverse reaction from those though.

I didn't have to throw mine out. I got mine fresh from a relative's garden. So hopefully the salmonella didn't reach his little garden down in Southern Alabama!!!

I think I ate all the others I had before the report came out. No adverse reaction from those though.
yes, as long as it was fresh tomatoes from a garden, you were ok. I had those packaged tomatoes out of the produce section of walmart.

Louisiana tomatoes have been given a clean bill of health.

CEE DOG said:
I can understand the stores, but at home we all should be washing all veggies and fruits off with detergent in the first place. Not just plain water. That's why I don't anyones cooking. I have never trusted that pre-washed stuff in the first place.

Do you wash all of your food with soap?

Louisiana tomatoes have been given a clean bill of health.

Do you wash all of your food with soap?

All my veggies and greens. I will put some on chicken if it is all greasy to get that slime off of it also. I will wash everything like tomatoes, cucumbers, grape fruit, apples, collards and stuff similar. I have worked in to many restuarants and understand how to get Salmonella. It may take me at least 40 minutes or more just to clean a family pack of chicken from wal-mart. I even let my fish sit in water with salt to help cleanse it and draw the bacteira out of it when I catch it after cleaning it before I wash it off and freeze it.

Back