To Makaho Bedrock and any other military people

JSU*Toi

Why did you chose to go into the military? Did you have problems or issue with what you were told to do?

I find that alot of people that I know that was in the military are very exterme in there view either they are hate the government now or they are 199% behind whatever the government does.

For me life is not a struggle, because Wisdom and understanding are the key to success. Went I understand then I can apply wisdom to any issues. Knowing what you will live for and die for is very important.

I feel like the United States and the State of Alabama belongs to me. I have not and will not allow anyone to make me feel any different.

Going into the military offered me many opportunities to be successful in life. I cannot begin to tell you all the benefits, I received from my Army Training. I had many opportunities to be bitter, but I chose the way I wanted to be.

There must be a reason for this question other than what you asked. I think the people you know are trying to impress you by what they express to you. People who actually fought in Desset Strom and Vietnam will not tell you war stories, but the ones behind the lines and saw no combat will tell you they dodged bullets for a whole year. People who actually did fight and got shot at will not bring up these painful memories. If you have dodged bullets, you have a new outlook on life.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I felt the same way MD. I grew up wanting to go to the Navy after seeing JFK and PT 109 movie. Also I had a long history of family members being in the military. I found it gave me alot of opportunity to have enormous reponsibilty at a young age. It does help your mental toughness. I also had a great time serving as well. Being on a Nuclear Submarine definitely taught me some valuable lessons. And during Desert Storm, it really hit home on the importance of what we were doing at that time and how precious life is. I still support the Navy in many ways to this day and I am proud to have served my country and been part of something that has been instrumental in my development as a person. I definitely have no regrets on my decision.

LT JR
SU NROTC 88
USS Key West SSN 722
Submarine Suadron 8 "Death From Below"
Atlantic Fleet
Norfolk, VA

Mighty Dog,

You are correct there is more behind the question. I was speaking to a gentalmen who was in Vietnam. While he never told me about what happen in Vietnam, whenever someone asked a quetion about it this look came over his face which to me was a mix of hurt, anger and hate.

Now he workes with a group of people who are moving to enlighten black people on there role in the government.

But he did make the statement we would never have any control of what the military does, and while we live under this title of a free democracy, in fact there will always be things that we can't vote on and will never know. He also said that he would never allow anyone he knew to join any mlitary force.

First of all, I have always been a big outdoors guy, sports man, and military enthusiast based on the number of family members I had in the Military. I was then only one in my family that chose, or was able to choose the officer ranks. I was commissioned in 1990 as a 2Lt and got out as a Captain in 1997.

I will forever be greatful for my experiences in the service, I have life long friends and memories. Even though I did serve in Desert Storm and was shot at a couple of times, I still like to engage in stories, because so many people ask me about them. But my stories are 99% circulated around the individuals I had to pleasure to serve with.

An interesting story/analogy I like to tell naysayers of the military is that when they ask how can I follow orders and quote.."get shot at for the man?"...I tell them that I have been shot at/heard more gun shots at night here in the city of Jackson by men the same color as me.

I was an officer (Vulcan Platoon Leader) in DS, so my place was in the Tactical Operations Center making battle plans, when I was in the Cavalry. My soldiers took the fire !! I always, first and formost, give them the credit for everything we achieved as a unit.

But as far as WE being a part of the Military and defending democracy, just think about it...

1. How were things in this country when none of US were in the military?

2. Would you really want a Military comprised of 100% of THEM with all the Guns, Tanks, Planes and Ships?

3. People like the Tuskegee Airmen, Henry O. Flipper, Daniel "Chappie" James fought for years so we could fight for our country, now WE should question their legacy ?

BTW, less than one half of one percent of the total nation's population is currently entrusted with 100% of it's defense.
Although we represent only 12% of that population, we built this country and just like MD said the state of MS and the U.S. are mine and no one's gonna tell me different either.

former Captain,
Commander Alpha Battery/2-7 Air Defense Artillery (Patriot)
"If it Flies !!!! It DIES !!!

Sexy, ask him if he can accept the military as a necessary evil.

I have been to a lot of countries, and I understand what it means to be free. Racism will never go away. I have seen the South go from totally segregation to being able to walk into a McDonald and buy a hamburger. I am not talking about too many ago. There are still some places in America that I am not going, but I understand the big picture. He needs to talk to Armstrong Williams so he can really explain how the system works. :D

I chose the USMC because of what they stood for and for the most part I was not dissappointed.The military is just what many of our young brothers and sisters need.You can learn a trade,get a free education,and gain valuable experience.Not to mention the opportunity to meet many different people see many different places.If I were single I probably would have stayed but deployments are hell on a marriage.

March 18, 2002 Will Be 20 Years

Sexy, I joined the military (Army Reserves) while still in High School. My two older brothers were already in and I just wanted to be like them but to attend college also. While in school (At Alcorn), I joined ROTC because while in basic and advanced individual training, the Officers were the ones who gave the orders and stood out from the rest. The Drill Sergeants were real bad asses to us but snapped to attention when an officer came around. I wanted to be an officer and my brothers advised me to try it so I would "Be Beter Than Them."

Now, after 16 years as an officer, I have no regrets but can understand the gentleman you refered to in your last post. As a young 22 year-old 2nd LT (Field Artillery Officer), my Team Chief was a Vietnam Vet and former POW; I learned a lot from this guy but was also a little afraid of him because he only talked about it when he saw something we were doing (In training) that could of gotten us killed. Listening to him made me (on paper) one of the best in my unit. Today, I rarely think about him or those early days because I have seen so much crap with those (Senior Leaders) in charge that I find myself being a radical at times. Now, I would not trade in my experiences, training, traveling or schooling for anything but it is very hard for me to recruit or advise anyone of color to come into the Army. Two years ago, I sat down with Grant Reynolds (Black Army Officer who resigned his commission in the Army after WWII and help draft legislation to desegegrate the military in 1948) and he told me several reasons why he did what he did but the most compelling thing he told me was that he has never been recognized by all of these so called "First Black Generals" for paving the way for them to become who they are and many forget who they are when they get their "Star." I could go on and on but in four years and with the blessing of God, I can retire with a smile on my face and with reservations about a lot of things that happens in the military. Believe me, it is not as "Good" as a lot of us would like to say it is.

Back