tithe

Thanks a lot, Doc...

Okay...what's the penalty for paying tithes late, as opposed to someone who doesn't truly give 10%...or a person that doesn't tithe at all? :confused:

(it may have already been answered somewhere in this thread, but I didn't see it with all the scripture debates going on).

uh oh...

I've been wanting to give my opinion on tithing.....I believe people shouldn't judge others on how much they give to the church. If you have the 10% to give, then hey, then that's what you can give. True enough, God has blessed us with what we have, but about the 10%, not everyone can give that. Some people out there live check to check and may not be able to give but 5%, but at least they gave something......

POSTED BY dacontinent:
"My point is that God requires MORE of us than the tithe...and he did that through Jesus example and not by what someone did or did not record Him saying during His earthly ministry."

I couldn't agree more....When we leave this earth, it won't even matter what percentage we gave to the church, what counts the most is that we believed that God sent his only son, Jesus to die for our sins.

Re: Thanks a lot, Doc...

Originally posted by Ntelekt
Okay...what's the penalty for paying tithes late, as opposed to someone who doesn't truly give 10%...or a person that doesn't tithe at all? :confused:

(it may have already been answered somewhere in this thread, but I didn't see it with all the scripture debates going on).
Originally posted by Fortitude
What's the penalty? Please provide a scripture reference.
OK, But remember the Bible says the more you know the more you are accountable for.... So If you know this, then you will be accountable if you miss paying your tithes.

Lev 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD.
Lev 27:31 And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.
Lev 27:32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.
So if you dont pay your tithes, instead of paying 10%, you now pay 12%.

:)

Re: uh oh...

Originally posted by LadyLuck13
I couldn't agree more....When we leave this earth, it won't even matter what percentage we gave to the church, what counts the most is that we believed that God sent his only son, Jesus to die for our sins.
LadyLuck13,
You have to be more than just believe. Having faith is the beginning, the foundation, but it is not the only thing one must have.

Remember, James 2:17 Faith without work is dead being alone. One must work, not matter how much faith one thinks he has.

Turning the subject from Tithing to Working for Jesus Christ. ;)

Re: Re: Thanks a lot, Doc...

Originally posted by docmump
OK, But remember the Bible says the more you know the more you are accountable for.... So If you know this, then you will be accountable if you miss paying your tithes.

So if you dont pay your tithes, instead of paying 10%, you now pay 12%.

:)

Question,

If I get paid every other Friday of the month and pay my tithes the following Sunday, is that considered late?

Re: Re: Re: Thanks a lot, Doc...

Originally posted by 89comSUgrad
Question,

If I get paid every other Friday of the month and pay my tithes the following Sunday, is that considered late?
If you get paid every other Friday, then you can go 2 sundays before your tithe is late. I.E. IF you get paid on the 1st and the 15th. Then you have the 3rd and the 10th to pay your tithes. After the 15th, it is late.

I aint never heard of no tithes being late... I have heard of some who pay it all at the beginning of the month and some pay it all at the end. Some pay it all thru the mont... I'm not saying that what doc said is wrong...but it is things like this that run people away from God and the church...

It "seems" we get stuck on semantics. The entire purpose of giving is to get you think of someone other than yourself and to give back to God what already belongs to Him.. Isn't it?

Re: Re: Re: Thanks a lot, Doc...

Originally posted by 89comSUgrad
Question,

Tithes are never late. I know military people who are sent away on a tour of duty for a year who simply put their tithe into an interest bearing account and give it all at once when they return. Nothing wrong with that.

The passage in Leviticus has reference to the same sort of thing. Some people would set aside the tithe for the time of giving. On occasion, they would dig into that which was set aside when things might have gotten tough - redeemed the tithe - as it was. So, since they borrowed from what was dedicated to the Lord, they were responsible for the interest that would have accrued.

Isn't it funny how that agrarian example fits our basically industrial society! The Bible: The book for all times and all peoples.

Re: uh oh...

I've been wanting to give my opinion on tithing.....I believe people shouldn't judge others on how much they give to the church. If you have the 10% to give, then hey, then that's what you can give. True enough, God has blessed us with what we have, but about the 10%, not everyone can give that. Some people out there live check to check and may not be able to give but 5%, but at least they gave something......

Let me just say this for the record. Our favorite passage on tithing (Malachi 3:10-12):

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.

Simply stated: Try what He says and let Him prove it to you. That is what I did. My testimony is this: I started tithing in college. I tithed off what money I earned on odd jobs. I gave offerings every time the opportunity came - sometimes coins, but I always had something to give. My wife and I got married 2 weeks after we graduated and the process continued. We have not balanced a checkbook in 20 years - NOT ONCE. The only thing that we have made sure of is that we tithed and gave offerings well above that. We have NEVER run out of money, our bills have never gone unpaid, we have hefty savings, a good emergency fund, investments, retirement funds, and plenty of our desires have been fulfilled. We have 2 teenagers!We are not entrepreneurs, own side businesses, nor have we ever held second jobs. God's provision has been simply amazing. The PROOF is in the GIVING.

HE DOES NOT DISAPPOINT!!!!

I have never heard anything about tithes being late. :confused:

I do know the LORD should get the first of your income. So a good practice would be before paying any bills, etc., take out the monies for tithes/offerings, whether it's cash or writing a check and set it aside until you are able to take it to church. :tup:

It's really simple. And like dacontinent mentioned, I never have to balance my checkbook! BECAUSE I KNOW ITS THERE!!!

THE LORD ALWAYS KEEPS HIS PROMISES!!!

Originally posted by ShyLadyTiger
I do know the LORD should get the first of your income. So a good practice would be before paying any bills, etc., take out the monies for tithes/offerings, whether it's cash or writing a check and set it aside until you are able to take it to church.

That's it...that's all, plain and simple:angel2:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks a lot, Doc...

Originally posted by dacontinent
Tithes are never late. I know military people who are sent away on a tour of duty for a year who simply put their tithe into an interest bearing account and give it all at once when they return. Nothing wrong with that.

The passage in Leviticus has reference to the same sort of thing. Some people would set aside the tithe for the time of giving. On occasion, they would dig into that which was set aside when things might have gotten tough - redeemed the tithe - as it was. So, since they borrowed from what was dedicated to the Lord, they were responsible for the interest that would have accrued.

Isn't it funny how that agrarian example fits our basically industrial society! The Bible: The book for all times and all peoples.

Hmm,
Must do research.... I always believed that if you did not pay your tithe before your next pay period it is late. therefore you owe 12 % instead of 10 %. But let me look into this.

Mathew Henry Send Help :)

Re: dacontinent...

I started tithing in college. I tithed off what money I earned on odd jobs. I gave offerings every time the opportunity came - sometimes coins, but I always had something to give. My wife and I got married 2 weeks after we graduated and the process continued. We have not balanced a checkbook in 20 years - NOT ONCE.

God is good regardless....
Let me ask you something.....What is your purpose of tithing? I give an offering on Sunday (maybe more than 10% of what I have, maybe less), and I just give because I know it's right...I don't expect or ask for anything back. When I drop that money in, and I thank God that I have the money and the hand to put the money in that basket.....:cool:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks a lot, Doc...

Hmm,
Must do research.... I always believed that if you did not pay your tithe before your next pay period it is late. therefore you owe 12 % instead of 10 %. But let me look into this.

Mathew Henry Send Help :)

That's ness....a late tithe? :rolleyes:

Re: Re: dacontinent...

I started tithing in college. I tithed off what money I earned on odd jobs. I gave offerings every time the opportunity came - sometimes coins, but I always had something to give. My wife and I got married 2 weeks after we graduated and the process continued. We have not balanced a checkbook in 20 years - NOT ONCE.

God is good regardless....
Let me ask you something.....What is your purpose of tithing? I give an offering on Sunday (maybe more than 10% of what I have, maybe less), and I just give because I know it's right...I don't expect or ask for anything back. When I drop that money in, and I thank God that I have the money and the hand to put the money in that basket.....:cool:

Finally, someone asked the right question!

My purpose in acknowledging the tithe is two-fold:
  1. God honors tithing and I want to honor Him.
  2. It helps the church - as it exists as a business - to be able to budget. If the stuff is in the storehouse, it can be distributed immediately when the need arrives. If not, something or someone may die before it can be assembled.
    [/list=1]

I have studied this for a couple of decades now...Offerings fluctuate more than tithing where congregations recognize tithing as a part of giving. So, as a business, a church can make intelligent decisions about the budgeting of the funds that it receives based on the tithe and not the offerings. That is one of the reasons why envelopes with separate line items for tithing are used in many congregations.

As far as my expectations...I certainly do have them of my giving. By aligning myself in covenant agreement with what God says about tithing, I set myself in a position of perpetual blessing through giving. God puts me in a position where I will always be able to give and blessing will always flow to me - enabling me to give again. He blesses me; I bless others; it flows back through Him to me and the process continues.

He set this thing in order. I just get to enjoy the trip. I am agrarian by nature and always looking to plant seed.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks a lot, Doc...

That's ness....a late tithe? :rolleyes:

NESS....:redhot::redhot:

So, if you plan to pay your tithes this week and dont pay them, is it late? I.E. If you have a bill that you pay monthly and you dont pay that bill in that month, then is it late?

Every increase you have, 10% is the Lords. Now, I believe the Bible states that if you have a steady increase you should have a steady tithe. Remember, I am going to look into this. And you should pay your tithes based on when you get your increase. I.E. If you get paid weekly, you should pay your tithes weekly. Now, I believe if you dont pay your tithes before you recieve the next steady increase, than your first increase tithe is late. And if you are late, then you need to pay 12% instead of the 10%. That is what I believe the Bible is stating. But remember, I am looking into this.

Scolfield Send more help.

Re:

So, if you plan to pay your tithes this week and dont pay them, is it late? I.E. If you have a bill that you pay monthly and you dont pay that bill in that month, then is it late?

Sweetheart, a monthly bill and a tithe aren't a good comparison....There are certain circumstances that may arrive during the course of a week or month like a flat tire or family emergency in which you may have to use that tithe money to take care of your situation.

Every increase you have, 10% is the Lords.
Now, I believe if you dont pay your tithes before you recieve the next steady increase, than your first increase tithe is late. And if you are late, then you need to pay 12% instead of the 10%. That is what I believe the Bible is stating. But remember, I am looking into this.

Where does the Bible say this? They sound more like your opinions which I can accept, but it sounds lke you are trying to incorporate your opinions into the Biblical scriptures. I haven't quoted anything from the Bible through this "Tithing" post because everything I've said is simply my opinion and how I've interpreted the readings.

Re: Re:

Sweetheart, a monthly bill and a tithe aren't a good comparison....There are certain circumstances that may arrive during the course of a week or month like a flat tire or family emergency in which you may have to use that tithe money to take care of your situation.

I believe this is where putting the LORD first and seeking him first shows it's true power. When we get paid, we should take out the money for the LORD first, and he will provide for us in any circumstance that comes about. Whether it's a flat tire or a family emergency. Family does not come before the LORD. He will supply all our needs when we seek him FIRST!

This is where our FAITH is strengthened. :tup:

So let's say worst case scenario, you have about $20 set aside for your tithe for church on Sunday morning, however it's close to the first of the month (rent or mortgage has just been paid) car insurance was paid, AND you're a single parent who pretty much lives CHECK to CHECK and your child suddenly catches the flu. You take your child to the doctor and they give you a prescriptionslip for $20 worth of medicine...You're telling me that you would say, "Well, momma wanted to get you that medicine from the store, but my tithes just gotta be paid and I'll get it for you another time." I don't think so.....All I'm saying is that GOD will understand in RARE but REALISTIC situations like the one mentioned above....I'm not making any excuses for not tithing, I just wanna make a point to all those people who are trying to tell people where and when a certain percentage of their their paycheck should go....

So let's say worst case scenario, you have about $20 set aside for your tithe for church on Sunday morning,

LL13,

I think he understands definitely in this case, but you did say you set that money aside for HIM FIRST!!! ;) This is all the LORD wants! For us to seek HIM FIRST!!!

Seems as if you've answered your own question! ;) Being that you put GOD first and set that money aside for HIM......need I say more! :tup:

He knew were your heart was when you set that money aside! It was totally fixed on HIM...and the key word is FIRST!!

You have been creating some good dialog LL13! :tup:

Re: Re:

Every increase you have, 10% is the Lords.
Now, I believe if you dont pay your tithes before you recieve the next steady increase, than your first increase tithe is late. And if you are late, then you need to pay 12% instead of the 10%. That is what I believe the Bible is stating. But remember, I am looking into this.

Where does the Bible say this? They sound more like your opinions which I can accept, but it sounds lke you are trying to incorporate your opinions into the Biblical scriptures. I haven't quoted anything from the Bible through this "Tithing" post because everything I've said is simply my opinion and how I've interpreted the readings.
See a couple of pages ago. I posted the scripture already.

So let's say worst case scenario, you have about $20 set aside for your tithe for church on Sunday morning, however it's close to the first of the month (rent or mortgage has just been paid) car insurance was paid, AND you're a single parent who pretty much lives CHECK to CHECK and your child suddenly catches the flu. You take your child to the doctor and they give you a prescriptionslip for $20 worth of medicine...You're telling me that you would say, "Well, momma wanted to get you that medicine from the store, but my tithes just gotta be paid and I'll get it for you another time." I don't think so.....All I'm saying is that GOD will understand in RARE but REALISTIC situations like the one mentioned above....I'm not making any excuses for not tithing, I just wanna make a point to all those people who are trying to tell people where and when a certain percentage of their their paycheck should go....
Here comes the funny post from Docmump.
You posted God will understand but do you understand that God can heal your daughter, so there would be no need for the medicine. In your example.

Back