This is for the Jukebox old heads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, the New Orleans number dropping was a small part of enrollment change.. Had alot to do with DOC feeling New Orleans was trying to control the band.. But funny thing is what DOC viewed as control had nothing to do with marching and music, but the fact that New Orleans folks can to SU with no scholarships and had NOTHING to lose, so we were the ones more will to strike and boycott practice when we (the Band ) was getting to Royal Stick.....lol Out of town folk would never boycott because of them out of state fees....

My lil brother isn't in the band but he is dealing with out of state fees and is only 45 minutes away from Liberty, Ms. So I know understand why them out of town folk wasn't about to boycott....lol DOC knew this and took action.. I remember in 99 it was about 16 Mellos... 9 or 10 crabs from New Orleans... He may have keep two... The ones with gold teeth was gone before the 2nd week, and they were good players with New Orleans style.....

Im pissed because now TxSU and Miles are getting the kids that would have once came to SU for FREE.. and Now SU is offering money... It's going to take SU showing New Orleans love again to get that group of kids back.... All SU had to do was march a parade in New Orleans, and off we were going to SU, this was set in our minds in the 6th grade.....some younger than that.....SU's presence in New Orleans means a WHOLE lot...

LOL. We had a bunch of them gold teeth players when me and ZN marched. Doc must have gotten old....because he aint never worried about a boycott before. He would tell us the Spirit of 76 marched with fife, drum and flag. So basically he said he would go out there with one squad if he had too. The upperclassmen boycotted practice all the way until Thursday before our first game our crab year in 84. Mind you this was the TxSU game and it was in Houston. Still remember when the horses came back.............well lets say it wasn't good for us crabs.:retard: Well hopefully Jackson will be able to get the NO kids back on board with the Juke. I know money is tight for kids to go to college now. It was much easier during our time. SU be wanting their money now a days.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
He played Tenor Drum I believe.... You marched with Herb (Jug Head) too didn't you? I think he was a band captain one year...

I remember him now..He was from New Orleans,and yes he could play,and yes Herb was BC one year..Herb could march & play his @zz off..

We use to also sing the along with the cadence "Drive":

You got to got to DRIVE!
DRIVE!
DRIVE!
DRIVE!
DRIVE!
DRIVE!
DRIVE!

Man, those cymbals would come in crashing high and swooping low, saying ladies and gentlemen, stand to your feet, the Southern University Human Jukebox has arrived.

I recalled in high school my high school director, Randolph Johnson, telling me after I had decided I was going to go to SU how special the feeling of coming into Mumford for the first home game. Man, we hit that gate and the entire stadium was on its feet hollaring, full of excitement... It was like now we can play football. The Jukebox has arrived. That made all of the crabbing we had gone through worth it. We already knew it was something special to earn the right to wear the 'S', but now we had SOME idea of just how special this was going to be. Yes, the fans could actually hear the band saying the chants and would join in with us. Others cadences that they would join in with us and all but take over were: "Southern is the best band in the land. Southern is the best band in the land" and the "Ay Oh!" cadence. They feed off of the Juke and that real SU Spirit feeled the air once that connection was established each game.

Peace...

We did that back in the day,also

LOL. We had a bunch of them gold teeth players when me and ZN marched. Doc must have gotten old....because he aint never worried about a boycott before. He would tell us the Spirit of 76 marched with fife, drum and flag. So basically he said he would go out there with one squad if he had too. The upperclassmen boycotted practice all the way until Thursday before our first game our crab year in 84. Mind you this was the TxSU game and it was in Houston. Still remember when the horses came back.............well lets say it wasn't good for us crabs.:retard: Well hopefully Jackson will be able to get the NO kids back on board with the Juke. I know money is tight for kids to go to college now. It was much easier during our time. SU be wanting their money now a days.

We had a boycott,back in 77 or 78..We did halftime with 48,I think..

I had a few CBs one from my high school that had golds... DOC tried to black ball them until he found out they could play their arses off..

But the one from my high school was zipped for hazing, police came in the bandroom and got him, that was the end of all hope for kids from New Orleans with golds with Doc....lol

Originally Posted by SUtrp96:Any of you Jukes remember marching with Eric Jones?... This cat talk like he was the man of all men in the S back in the early mid and even late 70's....lol He cool people...

Find out what horn he played..I remember that name..

LOL,,and you guys did,,,pick up your feet,drive and blow...I loved singing that,we would have the west side sing it...

The Eric Jones I know from New Orleans played snare drum. He came from Fortier High. Jared you're talking about St.Mary's old band director?

The Eric Jones I know from New Orleans played snare drum. He came from Fortier High. Jared you're talking about St.Mary's old band director?

Yeah... from talking to him, I believe he played both.. I think he went up in 73 or 74 on snare played a few years sat out them came back on Tenor....

That's him though E.Jones Inc.....lol Cool dude, I wonder if he is back in New Orleans.... Used to do business with that cat...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

:lmao: Half of of my crab class had gold teeth, and now that I think about it none of the have them now. They're policemen and teachers and other things where they found that it was to excel at when people prejudged. But those '93 and '94 boys came with the whole top row gold and some on the bottom, and we'd be on trips and people in Indiana, and Oakland, and Washington and Minnesota did'nt understand that sh!t! They were taking pictures and staring, and this was the norm in south La.

:lmao: Half of of my crab class had gold teeth, and now that I think about it none of the have them now. They're policemen and teachers and other things where they found that it was to excel at when people prejudged. But those '93 and '94 boys came with the whole top row gold and some on the bottom, and we'd be on trips and people in Indiana, and Oakland, and Washington and Minnesota did'nt understand that sh!t! They were taking pictures and staring, and this was the norm in south La.

lol...Did you march with "Cadilac Black"?

Doc loved the gift of the boys from "The City". But, man, they had some habits that rubbed the ole' man and drove him crazy. One of them was the gold teeth. Another was the crazy haircuts... However, the educator in him always pushed and enforced all of us to learn to present ourselves in away that would allow us to be accepted anywhere, so we could use our gifts and our education to impact our community, society and the world. As he said so often, "place your footprints on the sands of time". Be able to talk the kings language with the king, the educator's language with the professor, the politician's language with the Governor and street language with a thug. When you look at who succeeds in life, you find that to be true. For example, the Dallas Maverick's President is a brother from the streets of Compton. He hard and firm as you have to be on the street (No Excuses for performance), but he is very professional and well educated also.

JR, do you remember when our crab brothers on E flat horn, Jeff and Larry, came to band camp with pink tennis shoes? We were all like, dudes with pink tennis? Hmmmm.... But, you could tell that they were totally the opposite of what our stereo-typing would have imagined wearing pink tennis. They put themselves immediately on the red eye of the band staff, but I think they thrived in the pressure and attention. I even think they wanted it. They may not have been able to out read any of today's F-Horn players, but they each could out blow, individually, the entire section. Remember, this was a day when the E flats (now F-Horns) could carry the melody by themselves. It was crazy have versatile that band was. It was an arrangers dream and Roy and Eric took full advantage of it. Ohh, I loved it. I learned a lot being with all of that talent, which is exactly why my high school band director greatly encouraged me to go there. I didn't take him up on his other encouragement to be a band director, and there are times that I regret that because of my love for that craft. But, it was truly an experience that I treasure to this date.

Peace...

Doc loved the gift of the boys from "The City". But, man, they had some habits that rubbed the ole' man and drove him crazy. One of them was the gold teeth. Another was the crazy haircuts... However, the educator in him always pushed and enforced all of us to learn to present ourselves in away that would allow us to be accepted anywhere, so we could use our gifts and our education to impact our community, society and the world. As he said so often, "place your footprints on the sands of time". Be able to talk the kings language with the king, the educator's language with the professor, the politician's language with the Governor and street language with a thug. When you look at who succeeds in life, you find that to be true. For example, the Dallas Maverick's President is a brother from the streets of Compton. He hard and firm as you have to be on the street (No Excuses for performance), but he is very professional and well educated also.

JR, do you remember when our crab brothers on E flat horn, Jeff and Larry, came to band camp with pink tennis shoes? We were all like, dudes with pink tennis? Hmmmm.... But, you could tell that they were totally the opposite of what our stereo-typing would have imagined wearing pink tennis. They put themselves immediately on the red eye of the band staff, but I think they thrived in the pressure and attention. I even think they wanted it. They may not have been able to out read any of today's F-Horn players, but they each could out blow, individually, the entire section. Remember, this was a day when the E flats (now F-Horns) could carry the melody by themselves. It was crazy have versatile that band was. It was an arrangers dream and Roy and Eric took full advantage of it. Ohh, I loved it. I learned a lot being with all of that talent, which is exactly why my high school band director greatly encouraged me to go there. I didn't take him up on his other encouragement to be a band director, and there are times that I regret that because of my love for that craft. But, it was truly an experience that I treasure to this date.

Peace...

Yeah I remember that. All those cats from John Mac on Eflat horn (Jeff, Albion, Larry and Wallace) all had them different colored Chuck Taylors. You remember the upperclassmen were like WTF? when they saw those sneaks. LOL. Heck we all caught hell just because of how them dudes showed up.

Remember when Doc told the upperclassmen to take care of the dudes with Jheri Curls when we were crabs. He told them " I aint going to have no drip drip juice getting on my uniforms" Yall look like a bunch of women with that long hair and get them damn ear rings out your ear. Men don't wear ear rings. Look like a bunch of sissies" :goof: That damn Doc was a fool back then.

Yeah I remember that. All those cats from John Mac on Eflat horn (Jeff, Albion, Larry and Wallace) all had them different colored Chuck Taylors. You remember the upperclassmen were like WTF? when they saw those sneaks. LOL. Heck we all caught hell just because of how them dudes showed up.

Remember when Doc told the upperclassmen to take care of the dudes with Jheri Curls when we were crabs. He told them " I aint going to have no drip drip juice getting on my uniforms" Yall look like a bunch of women with that long hair and get them damn ear rings out your ear. Men don't wear ear rings. Look like a bunch of sissies" :goof: That damn Doc was a fool back then.

Yes, he was a true believer that those fades would hold you back from your destiny. So, he had a zero tolerance for it. One, it would be the downfall of his program and two, he really felt the students would be better off in the long run for it.

"Hey, little boy!!! What the h*** is that s*** in your head? This ain't 13th grade. This is an Institution of Higher Learning. You got to leave that HS s*** in HS. You hear me?! Check it out.... It's gone be allllright. I promise you. Yeah! It's gone be alright. Ain't no doubt about. I know it is. 'Cause they (as he points to the Band Staff) gone take care of it. Yeeeaaah! I promise you! (smile)".

Whew! I was like I'm in the bandroom. This is straight comedy and I can't laugh (as a crab). This is wild. I couldn't wait to be a Horse so I could join in on the laughing. smh It was stuff like this that made us use to say, somebody needs to write a book on this stuff and become a millionaire. Other eventually start saying, no, we need a movie on this. We're having all of this fun and no one else knows nothing about it. Then we thought about it and said "No one can know about most stuff in here. They wouldn't understand and would try to change it. Nope, its our secret". What happens many years later, "Drumline"!

Oh well...

Peace...

Peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back