This Hippocratic Oath and More ...

Tara

Administrator
The Hippocratic Oath and More ...

First let me preface by saying the <i>Hippocratic Oath</i> is a code of ethics taken by all those about to begin medical practice.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine over the weekend about the practice of medicine. He is the type of person that does not believe in taking medication, even over-the-counter medication like Advil for the common headache. He feels that what is to be, is to be when it comes to the human body and that physicians should not try to play GOD and alter what is destined to be our future.

Well, I come from a family of doctors, so I have a distinctly different opinion. I believe in medicine, but I do not believe that doctors are "playing GOD". I believe that GOD blessed certain souls with the gift and knowledge of healing. I truly believe that, because I see first hand in my own family the things that they go through.

I want to interject and add this section of the modern day <i>Hippocratic Oath</i>:<blockquote><i>"Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at GOD.</i>"</blockquote>
When I look back through the history of time, we see the evolution on modern medicine. Let's look at vaccinations of diseases that in just a meer 80 years ago could have killed us. My friend said he does believe in giving blood and placing casts on broken bones, but he has to draw the line on transplants and artificial insemination and procedures of that nature. I asked his opinion on treatment of cancer and other potentially terminal diseases and he said that doctors should not intervene. I happen to disagree.

Personally, I disagree with cloning and test tube babies, but there's really no other procedures that I object to. But I do know if I am suffering from allergies or cramps, I'll be the first one in line to take some kind of medication. And I'll be damned if one day I give birth without an epidural.

The <i>Hippocratic Oath</i> in it's entirety: <a href="http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/oath_modern.html" target="_blank"><i>Hippocratic Oath</i></a>

I'm curious to hear your opinions on the topic at hand ...

I am of the opinion that anything that will make the quality of life better for an individual should be used...... I am not in favor of the life support systems being used in case of a brain dead individual.. I believe the oath contains a line in which the doctor pledges to do no harm.. It is a balance of doing everything medically possible without making things worse.......

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Let their ass keep not taking medicine. More for the rest of us, and the human race will get better... (see Darwin Evolution of Species)

Originally posted by J-State Tiger
Let their ass keep not taking medicine. More for the rest of us, and the human race will get better... (see Darwin Evolution of Species)

I concur with you on that tip JST, I also believing in the "Thinning of the Herd". I just wish it would happen to some of these drug dealers here in Jackson.

How is someone playing God if they intake something that relieves symptoms while their body is ridding itself of foreign substances that have caused veins in your head to constrict(Headache) or if you place a cast on an appendage to help the body?s healing process.

Tara if I understood your paraphrase of what this person is saying. You are telling me that if this person is in an automobile accident, then they would just continue life as normal without seeking medication attention?

When you hang out with this person you need to keep a mobile phone and a Rx card in your purse.

Don't let them fool you. They'll be the first people dialling 911, trying to get an ambulance to take them to the hospital.

Just glad they are not my parents.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that oath. We had to take that oath when I first started pharmacy school.

I know alot of people with the mentality that Tara just described. What people should realize is that most OTC medication for simple things like headaches, cramps, abdominal discomfort, muscle pain, and etc.. are relatively safe when used correctly. The drugs that you have to watch for are the prescription drugs. They are more than likely gonna alter something else while curing another. Because of this, I guess people feel that all drugs are bad for the body. In a way, that is true, because all substances are toxic---even water. However, we gotta have a balance of common sense when it comes to ingesting substances into the human body. I mean...I take drugs and all for mild-moderate symptoms ever now and then, but I don't go taking drugs for every little thing I feel wrong. I could go on and on explaining the various reasons, but I don't wanna turn this into a lecture. As far as all the biological procedures taking place nowadays, I have to agree with what Tara said. The normal things are fine if that's what the patient so desires, but all this test tube baby, human cloning, and etc.. is just a bit far-fetched. I have to admit that there are some physicians and scientist "playing God". Yes, some of us have the gift to help cure and fix things, but there is a boundary that we just must not cross. Human life creation outside of the natural act is one of them. As far as having someone on life support when their 'brain dead" is also just a waste for the most part. But that process usually just takes place for the mental comfort of a family. But I kid you not....I know a person for myself that was brain dead and placed on life support for a good while, and God restored that person's life. So, that's an issue that I just can't call.

If doctors and medicine were not meant to be, why are they still around and have been? I know people that use "healers", and get prescribed herbs to combat their problem. We have doctors and medicine for a reason. A "healer" may be able to tell someone what is wrong with them but I would much rather have a doctor tell me. I believe that the body can heal itself but just like most difficult tasks help may be needed.
Southern Jaguars

Well, I'm the type that doesn't like to take medicine, however, if it is something major, I will. A cold, headache, stomachache, cramps...I let them happen naturally. God has blessed up all to have certain gifts. Everyone can't be a doctor, but he has placed doctors here to assist with healing the human body.

He also gives us free will. If that person doesn't want to take anything or go to the hospital then hey...that's them.

I've always said that for my first child, I would like to have him/her naturally. Just to experience the full process.

God has given those the knowledge of medicine, just as anything else, mechanics, teachers, lawyers, etc.

Well, to each his own.....

Me personally, if I feel I need medicine, I'm taking it. I don't particularly like to take medicine for minor things but if something persists then I will. I take prescribed medicine constantly for my allergies b/c they're so bad. They help me, so I'll continue taking them until my last breath here on earth. Now as far as the baby having thingy Tara, I'm truly with you on that. It hurts like hell and went in the hospital asking for the epidural.....:lol:

I also believe that doctors are here for a reason. I don't think they just appeared through osmosis. GOD has given them a gift just as he has given us all gifts. I visit the doctor as regularly as possible.

Peace

Back