Things You've Heard and Wondered...

ZNSPR8502

Meet, act & depart...
what it means and where it comes froms:

For example:

1. Between a rock and a hard place
Where did it come from? Does it relate to anything in particular?

2. The proof is in the pudding
What kind of pudding has proof in it? Where did this come from?

3. The whole 9 yards
In football, a first down is 10 yards. Isn't 9 yards coming up short? What does this refer to, especially since the saying mean "includes everything".

Anymore?

PEACE!!

things i've heard DEA' say

-got 6 in one hand, and half a dozen in the other

-we'll cross that bridge when we get to it

i've heard some other ones, just can't think of em right now

- something about the goose and gander thingy?

- what makes the heart goes fonder??

:idea: :idea: :idea:

Originally posted by ZNSPR8502
3. The whole 9 yards
In football, a first down is 10 yards. Isn't 9 yards coming up short? What does this refer to, especially since the saying mean "includes everything".

OO!! OO!! OO!!(student in back raises his hand) I know this one!!!

Back in one of the wars(between WW II and Veitnam) one of the machine guns that they used had ammo on a belt-like thing(picture a war movie where the guy in the helicopter is at the machine gun), well each one of the belts were 9 yards long. Hence the term "The whole 9 yards"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Everything has an explanation. Most of the time the real reason has been forgotten. If some of us would read more we would know tons of these expressions come from Shakespeare.

The proof is in the pudding. - This is a curruption of what the original intent was. The original phrase was "The Proof of the Pudding is in the Tasting" - Referring to bad "puddin" which only can be found out to be so by actually tasting it. You can't tell by looks.

I would say the rock and hard space came from Greek Mythology. I believe there was a person named sysiphus or something who was banished to pushing a large boulder up a hill for eternity. The kicker was that the boulder would only roll down the hill as soon as he pushed it up.

Another instance where a rock and a hard space could have originated was the story of Promethius. He gave fire to man and was punished by being bound to a rock and having his liver eaten by a bird everyday. (those of us medically inclined know the liver regenerates itself) A surely dastardly way to spend the rest of his life!

6 in one hand and a half dozen in another is simply a statement about perspective. We have all seen people who would rather have a big head fitty (MikeBigg) instead of 2 twenties and a ten. Sometimes we jump ship thinking that there is something greater when in fact it is the exact same thing packaged differently.

We'll cross that bridge- I am not completely sure but it seems to be either biblically based or from some war or another.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder: Just not get no "puddin" or "richard" in a while and see how much you look forward to the next "taste".

What is good for the goose is good for the gander- One person can't be held to any higher esteem than any other.

Re: Re: Things You've Heard and Wondered...

Originally posted by BIG WORM 96

OO!! OO!! OO!!(student in back raises his hand) I know this one!!!

Back in one of the wars(between WW II and Veitnam) one of the machine guns that they used had ammo on a belt-like thing(picture a war movie where the guy in the helicopter is at the machine gun), well each one of the belts were 9 yards long. Hence the term "The whole 9 yards"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Aaaahhhhh!! Thank you. Most of these things have a logical explanation, but most people don't bother to find it out. We tend to get the understanding of it and simply reuse it.

You get bonus points... :)

Thanks!

OK, what about the others crew...

Any others... There are tones of them.

PEACE!!!

Keep the saying coming. If you KNOW the origin, feel free to state it. I think most of know what we mean when we say them. I'm wanting us to focus on the saying and where they are derived.
Again, keep them coming...

PEACE!!!

Rock and hard place may be a reference to Scylla and Charybdis.

Whole nine yards came during WWII, when the ammo belts were nine yards long. The whole nine yards meant that the soldier shot every round of ammunition at the bad guys.

Don't know about the pudding.

I hate cliches.

Originally posted by sophandros
Rock and hard place may be a reference to Scylla and Charybdis.

Whole nine yards came during WWII, when the ammo belts were nine yards long. The whole nine yards meant that the soldier shot every round of ammunition at the bad guys.

Don't know about the pudding.

I hate cliches.

I like them, especially when I know they're back ground. They are some good conversational informational pieces.

PEACE!!!

Originally posted by ZNSPR8502
what it means and where it comes froms:

For example:

1. Between a rock and a hard place
Where did it come from? Does it relate to anything in particular?

2. The proof is in the pudding
What kind of pudding has proof in it? Where did this come from?

3. The whole 9 yards

Anymore?

PEACE!!
clech'es are getting out of hand

I got one.....but I'on know where it comes from...

How about this one....

Ain't got a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.

Originally posted by Jaguar05
One foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Don't know why, but that one almost always brings a smile to my face. I guess because I actually visualize it when it is stated... :)

PEACE!!

Re: I got one.....but I'on know where it comes from...

Originally posted by s phi s
How about this one....

Ain't got a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.

I always considered that one a country po one... :)

PEACE!!

Originally posted by BluBlood
"Well ain't that the pot calling the tea kettle black!"

Back in the early 90's, when I thought of using this one, I started replacing it with something like "Ain't that the Snow calling the salt white!". You know a lot of times black is used to give negative points. So, I started using white references to do the same. :)

PEACE!!

Originally posted by smallone
"That ain't got nothin' to do with the price of tea in China"

??????

Yeah, MomOf2YM use to use the heck out of one very similar: "What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?" and "What's that got to do with the price of rice?" Don't know why, but I never liked either of those.

Is rice and tea cheap in China? :)

PEACE!!!

Back