The SWAC should leave ESPN.

Yes, the OVC is available on ROKU but their main contract is with ESPN3/ESPN Plus.

I know that but they were initially on Roku and built the network from the ground up which eventually led to the ESPN3 deal

There's no reason why the SWAC should have weekly games on ESPN3.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I know that but they were initially on Roku and built the network from the ground up which eventually led to the ESPN3 deal

There's no reason why the SWAC should have weekly games on ESPN3.

gotta pay for that unless they want you - you lose independence ad wise

Wish the SDN was on another platform like youtube or in a app on Roku for better access. Trying to get it on their website is troubling at times.

Youtube ... ease of people outside of our footprint to see the conference. I don't have a particular issue with ESPN, but there is NO reason why ALL of our games shouldn't be on TV somewhere.

Or why not reach for the stars and see who would like to partner to start the SWAC network, better do it while the irons hot with protest and white people doing anything to take the heat off their names and companies... each school collects revenue from
Ad and tv money.... And we can hire our own folks who will do the swac justice and not some generic coverage of our Hbcu’s

SWAC Network.
Black History , Black Experience , Black Excellence

Or why not reach for the stars and see who would like to partner to start the SWAC network, better do it while the irons hot with protest and white people doing anything to take the heat off their names and companies... each school collects revenue from
Ad and tv money.... And we can hire our own folks who will do the swac justice and not some generic coverage of our Hbcu’s

SWAC Network.
Black History , Black Experience , Black Excellence

I wrote about this is a yet to be published article lol

They can hire me to do Valley games (I'm serious). I have nothing personal against Jay and Tiffany but that one size fits all coverage ESPN gives us is underwhelming (and I actually like Tiffany)

I wrote about this is a yet to be published article lol

They can hire me to do Valley games (I'm serious). I have nothing personal against Jay and Tiffany but that one size fits all coverage ESPN gives us is underwhelming (and I actually like Tiffany)

I think Jay and Tiffany are solid, they’re just trapped under the mongol that is ESPN... they have to stick to the script and for someone who is in TV like myself, it can be tough. I think you’d do great at valley as their rep for the network. Each school could take the network money, and invest to offer school jobs for communications and a rep like yourself to run it.

let’s think big people, this is our time. This is the SWACs time to Be the premiere conference in the FCS and then one day push to FBS.

I think Jay and Tiffany are solid, they’re just trapped under the mongol that is ESPN... they have to stick to the script and for someone who is in TV like myself, it can be tough. I think you’d do great at valley as their rep for the network. Each school could take the network money, and invest to offer school jobs for communications and a rep like yourself to run it.

let’s think big people, this is our time. This is the SWACs time to Be the premiere conference in the FCS and then one day push to FBS.

They made the right choice with bringing Tiffany off the sidelines because she is HBCU all the way through. Jay for the most part I have no problem with but does some things that make me pause. His pro background gives him credibility so that's helps as far as legitimizing HBCU broadcasts

I know the SWAC commissioner reads these boards so they need to get on get sponsors for halftime shows so that they can be shown in their entirity just like the SEC and Big Ten does. Same for our schools that broadcast games live

Any future deal that funds an FBS move will have to have terrestrial TV and be viewed the same way as streaming. You'll want your major classics on network or cable tv during football season and your tier 2 games on either regional tv or the SWAC streaming network. For basketball and baseball, I think most should be on a streaming platform supported by ads and subs.

It may be best to put the Tier 1 rights for Football up for bidding between ESPN, Fox, NBC, and CBS along with any digital media or streaming platform. Then, put up the tier 1 and tier 2 rights up for Basketball, Baseball, and other sports on another bid. In fact, a subscription service for Basketball and Baseball along with regional TV coverage may be the best route to go for those games.

Just looking at some of the SWAC Facebook Groups and the stories that HBCU Sports and HBCU Gameday share to Facebook about the SWAC, they get tons of hits and shares. Facebook should also be invited to bid, especially after they see those interactions and engagement numbers.

Let's face it, y'all have way more TV power than realized and I think your Commissioner sees it and is doing a great job of getting the presidents to see it too.

Last edited:
I feel that TV is dying on the vine. We have the content. Charge the masses via pay for play.
You have to recognize who you are to the masses, and we don't have that kind of name recognition to make it beneficial for the SWAC in the long run. Recruits will want to know that they will be showcased on national TV. Only diehard HBCUers will even know about the PPV streaming option, or willing to pay. You're not bringing in new fans that way. If you want to broaden your brand, you need to be shown on nationally broadcasted games.

Now, if individual schools want PPV their games (that aren't on TV) I'm all for it. Especially those schools who don't sign regional contracts. That's a win-win situation where all of your games are viewable in some form or fashion. The focus needs to be on MAXIMUM EXPOSURE.

One big thing that could get in the way of the more lucrative deal will be 3rd-party promoters. IMHO, the SWAC needs ALL intraconference classics under the conference/school control to maximize a TV deal. This would include wrangling the TV rights away from the State Fair Classic promoters. All games should be on TV in 2020 and this is the only way to get the money needed for a potential FBS move.

I also believe that the Bayou Classic TV Rights should also be moved under this SWAC TV umbrella. If that means the SWAC gives it's first rights of refusal to NBC/Universal So that Grambling and Southern can keep their fantastic deal.

A TV Package that includes the State Fair Classic, Magic City Classic, Florida Classic, The Soul Bowl, Bayou Classic, Alcorn/Southern, Jukebox Classic, Grambling/Jackson State, FAMU v Southern AND the SCG would be a great sell.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Every school's AD/prez that has one of these marquee classics needs to go back to the promoters and renegotiate their broadcasting rights. Let us air those games live on national tv, because we need the games as added bargaining chips when negotiating with ESPN, FOX Sports, CBS, etc. If the promoters don't agree - cut them loose when the contract expires, and we take back control of our destinies.

I'd love to see the State Fair Classic live on CBS, MCC live on ESPN2, or the Florida Classic live on FSS. If we have control over broadcasting, we can get those deals we desire and our conference deserves. This will have a trickle down effect on recruiting.

you won't get those games live unless its digital or some off channel unfortunately as the prime time TV slots aren't available. We had it on MBC or in the early stages of ESPNU and in 2004 it was Fox Sports ironically.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The WNBA streams games on Twitter while the NBA G League & Impact Wrestling stream on Twitch. With our current product, shouldn't we be looking to make moves like that? Seems like now would be a good time to strike with all of these companies pretending to be down with black empowerment.

The WNBA streams games on Twitter while the NBA G League & Impact Wrestling stream on Twitch. With our current product, shouldn't we be looking to make moves like that? Seems like now would be a good time to strike with all of these companies pretending to be down with black empowerment.

A whole multi-platform package with streaming companies, social media and television ... hmmm

Outside of the box thinking.

I'm sure the powers that be at the SWAC will consider this

BUT as I said before, everyone has to get on the same accord and the same level as far as streaming. You can't have some schools on Youtube in HD while others are on Livestream or streaming via Sidearm on their sites (and in some instances charging) and glitchy

Any future deal that funds an FBS move will have to have terrestrial TV and be viewed the same way as streaming. You'll want your major classics on network or cable tv during football season and your tier 2 games on either regional tv or the SWAC streaming network. For basketball and baseball, I think most should be on a streaming platform supported by ads and subs.

It may be best to put the Tier 1 rights for Football up for bidding between ESPN, Fox, NBC, and CBS along with any digital media or streaming platform. Then, put up the tier 1 and tier 2 rights up for Basketball, Baseball, and other sports on another bid. In fact, a subscription service for Basketball and Baseball along with regional TV coverage may be the best route to go for those games.

Just looking at some of the SWAC Facebook Groups and the stories that HBCU Sports and HBCU Gameday share to Facebook about the SWAC, they get tons of hits and shares. Facebook should also be invited to bid, especially after they see those interactions and engagement numbers.

Let's face it, y'all have way more TV power than realized and I think your Commissioner sees it and is doing a great job of getting the presidents to see it too.

Thank God somebody has a vision because most of these fans damn sure don't!

Back