The SWAC Player of the Week is unfairly chosen.

Well he wasn't an impressive player to watch at all to me. He got a lot of cheat buckets. Maybe it was just this game ? :confused:

I don't put any stock in the award after the farce that took place two years ago with the Player of the Year, and how Desmond Cambridge got the SHAFT!

That was positively ridiculous!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
Get Ready,

The simple truth is the fact that many of our SWAC member institutions do not take voting for SWAC POW, SWAC Pre-Season and SWAC Post-Season awards, seriously in my opinion.

quite honestly, the SID aren't always sending candidates in.

For the Record (Clarity)

F.Y.I.,

The SWAC Basketball Player of the Week is selected by a formula that was instituted in 1988 and last revised in 1994 by the SWAC SIDs.

That formula gives rating points for weekly averages in : (1) Scoring, (2) Rebounds, (3) Assists, (4) Steals, and (5) Blocked Shots. Bonus Points are awarded for Game Winners (Final 1:00) - <2> basket, steal or block in final minute and Winning Team Bonus - <2> win against D-1 teams, <1> win against non-D-1 teams.

An example is in <B>Scoring Average</B> 01-09 = 4 rating pts, 10-19 =6 rating pts, 20-29=8 rating points, 30-39 =10 rating points, 40+=12 rating pts <B> Rebound Average</B> 01-06=2 rating pts, 07-09=4 rating pts, 10-14=6 rating pts, 15+=8 rating pts. ... And so on through the other categories

In this week's tabulations ALST's Oliver totaled 22 rating pts, PVAM's player tied with three others (including AAMU's Trotter) with 20 rating pts. Oliver <I> "filled up the stat sheet"</I>, so the speak with averages in blocked shots, assists and steals ... Also ALST won 2 games (4 pts) while PVAM won 1 game (2 pts). Trotter has just missed out on three occassions mainly because AAMU went 1-1 in one week and 0-2 in another week. He HAS been lighting it up, but not filling up the stat sheet or did not get bonus points for team wins.

In each week's POW release, those players with top performances that did not win player of the week are listed under that category.

I hope this enlightens some who really <I> want </I> to know. I'm sure it won't be good enough for those who just want to dump.

SWAC PR Man

Re: For the Record (Clarity)

Originally posted by Swac PR Man
He HAS been lighting it up, but not filling up the stat sheet or did not get bonus points for team wins.

`I was with you on everything you said... and thanks for the explanation but I cant agree with you saying Trotter hasnt been "filling up the stat sheet" He is near the top in points, assist and steals. How is that not filling up the stat sheet. Another thing do you use the (bonus points for wins) thing when picking the SWAC Player of the Year also.... because I recall Desmond Cambrige leading the SWAC in points, assist and steals with the team finishing tied for second in the conference and Paul Haynes winning the SWAC Player of the Year when he the only category he had over Des was rebounds and his team was at the bottom of the SWAC.

Originally posted by the band fan
Oliver won out by 2 points.....you get a certain amount of points for winning..they won 2, w elost 1...simple as that

Guess who won player of the week???
Aime Williams, Jackson.......Center
26.5 points
9.0 rebounds
1.0 assists
1.5 steals
3.0 blocks

55-57 loss to Alcorn 2/7/04 (2 point loss)
56-53 win over Southern 2/9/04 (3 point win)

Scherwanda Boston, Grambling....Guard
29 points
2.5 rebounds
4.0 assists
3.5 steals

86-75 win over southern 2/7/04 (11 point win)
77-51 win over alcorn 2/9/04 (26 point win)

Amie Williams

Originally posted by MACK OF THE SWAC
Guess who won player of the week???
Aime Williams, Jackson.......Center
26.5 points
9.0 rebounds
1.0 assists
1.5 steals
3.0 blocks

55-57 loss to Alcorn 2/7/04 (2 point loss)
56-53 win over Southern 2/9/04 (3 point win)

Scherwanda Boston, Grambling....Guard
29 points
2.5 rebounds
4.0 assists
3.5 steals

86-75 win over southern 2/7/04 (11 point win)
77-51 win over alcorn 2/9/04 (26 point win)

Amie Williams

Yeah Boston got screwed.

Back