The Sudler Trophy Winners

Dr. Tripp

The Sudler Trophy

"The purpose of the Sudler Trophy is to identify and recognize collegiate marching bands of particular excellence who have made outstanding contributions to the American way of life. The Sudler Trophy is awarded annually to a college or university marching band which has demonstrated the highest musical standards and innovative marching routines and ideas, and which has made important contributions to the advancement of the performance standards of college marching bands over a period of years."

Awardees include:

1982 University of Michigan
1983 University of Illinois
1984 Ohio State University
1985 Florida A&M University
1986 University of Texas
1987 University of Oklahoma
1988 Michigan State University
1989 University of Kansas
1990 University of Iowa
1991 Arizona State University
1992 Northwestern University
1993 UCLA
1994 James Madison University
1995 Purdue University
1996 University of Nebraska
1997 West Virginia University
1998 University of Massachusetts
1999 Texas Tech University
2000 University of Georgia
2001 Texas A&M University
2002 Louisiana State University
2003 University of Alabama
2004 Auburn University
2005 Penn State University
2006 University of Arkansas

http://www.umass.edu/band/about/sudler.html

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Sonny,

Bruh, I was being sarcastic and messing with this Trp98 dude from famu.:slap:

There have been numerous posts regarding the Sudler Award on this board before, but since famu is the only HBCU to ever win the award, it's is famu pride, joy and everlasting accomplishment.:lol:

This is why Trp98, felt the need to educated us on this award and famu holy grail.........:rolly:

The Sudler Trophy

"The purpose of the Sudler Trophy is to identify and recognize collegiate marching bands of particular excellence who have made outstanding contributions to the American way of life. The Sudler Trophy is awarded annually to a college or university marching band which has demonstrated the highest musical standards and innovative marching routines and ideas, and which has made important contributions to the advancement of the performance standards of college marching bands over a period of years."

Awardees include:

1982 University of Michigan
1983 University of Illinois
1984 Ohio State University
1985 Florida A&M University
1986 University of Texas
1987 University of Oklahoma
1988 Michigan State University
1989 University of Kansas
1990 University of Iowa
1991 Arizona State University
1992 Northwestern University
1993 UCLA
1994 James Madison University
1995 Purdue University
1996 University of Nebraska
1997 West Virginia University
1998 University of Massachusetts
1999 Texas Tech University
2000 University of Georgia
2001 Texas A&M University
2002 Louisiana State University
2003 University of Alabama
2004 Auburn University
2005 Penn State University
2006 University of Arkansas

http://www.umass.edu/band/about/sudler.html
Yet, another case and point.

Did he just now figure out that they won it? The dude been on this board for years....aint posted in years.....and out of the blue posts the Sudler list :|

Legend35 before you go discrediting your own (and by that I mean GSU in particular) the reasons for no other HBCU bands receiving the award have been rehashed time and time again. I still do not believe its due to any lack of quality...h3ll look at that old GSU clip that was posted. Looking at the description of the award and then looking at the track record of a GSU or SU....those two at a minimum should not have gone unnoticed for all this time. There are a couple of bands in that list that sucked when I saw them....go firgure.

Did he just now figure out that they won it? The dude been on this board for years....aint posted in years.....and out of the blue posts the Sudler list :|

Legend35 before you go discrediting your own (and by that I mean GSU in particular) the reasons for no other HBCU bands receiving the award have been rehashed time and time again. I still do not believe its due to any lack of quality...h3ll look at that old GSU clip that was posted. Looking at the description of the award and then looking at the track record of a GSU or SU....those two at a minimum should not have gone unnoticed for all this time. There are a couple of bands in that list that sucked when I saw them....go firgure.
Please DO NOT put words in my mouth. I've said nothing of the kind.

The only thing I'm saying is I'm very concerned about the direction SWAC Bands are going and want to know why and how it can be changed for the better.

Please DO NOT put words in my mouth. I've said nothing of the kind.

The only thing I'm saying is I'm very concerned about the direction SWAC Bands are going and want to know why and how it can be changed for the better.

Co-sign.

Marching band is wonderful and we have a number of them in the SWAC that are among the finest in the country. But, we have to be about building complete band programs. That means concert bands, jazz bands, and conductors that get national recognition. The program has to have all three disciplines at that level and have the recognition of you peers around the country. Our concert bands need to have good performances at conferences like the Midwest Clinic and our jazz bands at venues like the Montreaux Jazz Festival and our conductors called on to be clinicians in such venues even when our own bands are not there. FAMU has done all of the that and it got them a Sudler. Being a native Floridian,I am quite proud of that and commend them. However, it is about time that other HBCU's get serious about gaining such recognition.

Sonny,

Bruh, I was being sarcastic and messing with this Trp98 dude from famu.:slap:

There have been numerous posts regarding the Sudler Award on this board before, but since famu is the only HBCU to ever win the award, it's is famu pride, joy and everlasting accomplishment.:lol:

This is why Trp98, felt the need to educated us on this award and famu holy grail.........:rolly:

Ive had too much weed today TBJ.
Thank you.

:D

Co-sign.

Marching band is wonderful and we have a number of them in the SWAC that are among the finest in the country. But, we have to be about building complete band programs. That means concert bands, jazz bands, and conductors that get national recognition. The program has to have all three disciplines at that level and have the recognition of you peers around the country. Our concert bands need to have good performances at conferences like the Midwest Clinic and our jazz bands at venues like the Montreaux Jazz Festival and our conductors called on to be clinicians in such venues even when our own bands are not there. FAMU has done all of the that and it got them a Sudler. Being a native Floridian,I am quite proud of that and commend them. However, it is about time that other HBCU's get serious about gaining such recognition.
:tup:
There it is!!!!

Co-sign.

Marching band is wonderful and we have a number of them in the SWAC that are among the finest in the country. But, we have to be about building complete band programs.

According to the award as posted above marching band should be the only thing considered. I like all forms of ensembles like any other true bandsmen but I can't see blaming the lack of HBCU marching bands on the sudler list on the merits of other ensembles at the universities.

Legend35 I didn't put anything in your mouth. From what you posted it seems you are concerned that the current trend of bands is not heading in the direction of the Sudler. And I'm saying that there have been other bands worthy of it in the past regardless of what the current trends look like. If you could up and replace the quality of bands now with past editions you may very well get the same result. If at least an SU/GSU/TnSU/JSU has not been noticed by the greater band community yet...whether involved in various clinics or not....then someone just isn't looking. It certainly seems like the non-band community knows how to find them.

According to the award as posted above marching band should be the only thing considered. I like all forms of ensembles like any other true bandsmen but I can't see blaming the lack of HBCU marching bands on the sudler list on the merits of other ensembles at the universities.

You are absolutely correct about the Sudler Trophy being awarded to marching bands. There are two ways to be nominated.

1. The college band directors from around the country are polled for their recommendations. The two highest vote-getters are receive nominations.
  2. The Sudler Trophy committee nominates the other two.

This is really where the reputation of the conductor and the overall recognition of the program comes into play. The award is based on the schools impact over a number of years - even decades. Like the football polls, those BD and those committee members are not watching tapes of marching bands from across the country every week to determine who is worthy of one of those 4 slots. That is where participation in clinics, parades, pro football games and such step into the picture.

I am quite confident that if our schools get nominated then we will see them win the Sudler Trophy. What I am not sure of is whether we can get those nominations without demonstrating prolonged excellence in the other areas, affording our band great reputations in the eyes of others outside our conferences.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
You are absolutely correct about the Sudler Trophy being awarded to marching bands. There are two ways to be nominated.

1. The college band directors from around the country are polled for their recommendations. The two highest vote-getters are receive nominations.
  2. The Sudler Trophy committee nominates the other two.

This is really where the reputation of the conductor and the overall recognition of the program comes into play. The award is based on the schools impact over a number of years - even decades. Like the football polls, those BD and those committee members are not watching tapes of marching bands from across the country every week to determine who is worthy of one of those 4 slots. That is where participation in clinics, parades, pro football games and such step into the picture.

I am quite confident that if our schools get nominated then we will see them win the Sudler Trophy. What I am not sure of is whether we can get those nominations without demonstrating prolonged excellence in the other areas, affording our band great reputations in the eyes of others outside our conferences.

I think that bands like SU, GSU, and FAMU (I know they won already) has built up enough of a rep to win this award.

That is where participation in clinics, parades, pro football games and such step into the picture.

This right here is what I was getting at. With the exception of clinics (since I don't know the level of participation on this one) we have bands that probably top the list of bands (HBCU or not) that are most often called upon for these types of functions. I just feel there have been too many high profile accomplishments made to say its because our bands aren't noticed.

In reality the list of bands is pretty short as compared to the number of college bands in America and the percentage that HBCU's make up of the total number of bands is pretty small. I would feel there is more of a problem if there were well over 100 bands on the list rather than 25 and only one HBCU given the current achievements. There is only one award given every year so I am sure there are alot of great bands both PWC and HBCU that have to be looked over until some future date. Just let the time roll around.

Back