The slow decline of Itta Bena

In_The_662

Deeeeep In The Delta.....
The AP did an article on how the entire town of Itta Bena could lose power if they don't pay $800,000 by December 1 (Valley won't be affected because they are on a totally different grid and not within the city limits of Itta Bena)

Itta Bena has been in a decline ever since I left Valley but white flight really accelerated it over the past 10-15 years to the point of there really only being a handful of businesses in a once vivrant downtown area. The article is one thing. The pictures just drive it home

Mississippi city may be left in dark over unpaid power bill

View: https://www.facebook.com/patrickppperry/posts/10157240535886540

Last edited:

The Founder

Hey they used to have this awesome fish restaurant near there...I think it is Greenville. Is it still open?

TSU/BAMA

The AP did an article on how the entire town of Itta Bena could lose power if they don't pay $800,000 by December 1 (Valley won't be affected because are on a totally different grid and not within the city limits of Itta Bena)

Itta Bena has been in a decline ever since I left Valley but white flight really accelerated it over the past 10-15 years to the point of there really only being a handful of businesses in a once vivrant downtown area. The article is one thing. The pictures just drive it home

Mississippi city may be left in dark over unpaid power bill

View: https://www.facebook.com/patrickppperry/posts/10157240535886540

This reminds me of my home town in Alabama. 😞

In_The_662

Deeeeep In The Delta.....
What's the largest municipality near Valley?

Greenwood (5 minutes). But Greenwood is right now going through what Itta Bena has been through:

White flight and businesses leaving the area. The downtown area of Greenwood is a larger version of Itta Bena. Still businesses downtown but the fact that Greenwood has many 3-4 story buildings that are empty (and some are crumbing) makes it worse

And as soon as you cross the railroad tracks into the black areas of town, it's a night and day difference

LAW DAWG

TSU LOVE
Greenwood (5 minutes). But Greenwood is right now going through what Itta Bena has been through:

White flight and businesses leaving the area. The downtown area of Greenwood is a larger version of Itta Bena. Still businesses downtown but the fact that Greenwood has many 3-4 story buildings that are empty (and some are crumbing) makes it worse

And as soon as you cross the railroad tracks into the black areas of town, it's a night and day difference
If they are only five minutes away they probably should consider out-sourcing some city services such as policing and fire service. I don't know how city/county governance works in Mississippi, but they could turn policing over to the county sheriff with out cost if things are done as they are here in Texas.

Blacknbengal

Maybe they need to go back like it was in the past. Having lights only for a certain time period in the day and be off at night.

tierre

Things that hurt small towns is having a limited tax base. Folks have to spend money in Itta Bena in order for it to improve. They might need to do a 2% sales tax increase like we did in Vicksburg, MS to get something. Taxes in Mississippi is 8%. We added the 2% on food places to pay for a sports complex.

JAGSC

Things can turn around. I remember when my parents moved to the Greenville/Spartanburg SC area, they were still affected by the textile industry.. Spartanburg/Greenville is unrecognizable today.. It has became one of the fastest areas in the country

Mrwiregrass

How about we try a new approach, and stop using white flight for the decline of our communities?

If we can pray, and believe in-somebody that we have never saw in our entire life. We actually can do something for ourselves.