The Republican Leadership....

BgJag

Jaguar Nation
Lott Decried For Part Of Salute to Thurmond
GOP Senate Leader Hails Colleague's Run As Segregationist

Thomas B. Edsall
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, December 7, 2002; Page A06

Senate Republican leader Trent Lott of Mississippi has provoked criticism by saying the United States would have been better off if then-segregationist candidate Strom Thurmond had won the presidency in 1948.

Speaking Thursday at a 100th birthday party and retirement celebration for Sen. Thurmond (R-S.C.) in the Dirksen Senate Office Building, Lott said, "I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."

Thurmond, then governor of South Carolina, was the presidential nominee of the breakaway Dixiecrat Party in 1948. He carried Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and his home state. He declared during his campaign against Democrat Harry S. Truman, who supported civil rights legislation, and Republican Thomas Dewey: "All the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negro into our homes, our schools, our churches."

On July 17, 1948, delegates from 13 southern states gathered in Birmingham to nominate Thurmond and adopt a platform that said in part, "We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race."

Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), a leader of the civil rights movement in the 1960s, said yesterday he was stunned by Lott's comments, which were broadcast live by C-SPAN. "I could not believe he was saying what he said," Lewis said. In 1948, he said, Thurmond "was one of the best-known segregationists. Is Lott saying the country should have voted to continue segregation, for segregated schools, 'white' and 'colored' restrooms? . . . That is what Strom Thurmond stood for in 1948."

William Kristol, editor of the conservative Weekly Standard, said "Oh, God," when he learned of Lott's comments. "It's ludicrous. He should remember it's the party of Lincoln," referring to Lott's role as Republican leader of the Senate, which the GOP will control when the new Congress convenes next month.

Lott's office played down the significance of the senator's remarks. Spokesman Ron Bonjean issued a two-sentence statement: "Senator Lott's remarks were intended to pay tribute to a remarkable man who led a remarkable life. To read anything more into these comments is wrong."

Bonjean declined to explain what Lott meant when he said the country would not have had "all these problems" if the rest of the nation had followed Mississippi's lead and elected Thurmond in 1948.

Lott's comments came in the middle of Thursday's celebration for Thurmond, Congress's oldest and longest-serving member. Lott followed at the lectern former Senate majority leader Robert J. Dole (R-Kan). Initially Lott made jokes about Dole and then became serious when discussing how Mississippi voted in 1948.

The gathering, which included many Thurmond family members and past and present staffers, applauded Lott when he said "we're proud" of the 1948 vote. But when he said "we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years" if Thurmond had won, there was an audible gasp and general silence.

In 1998 and 1999, Lott was criticized after disclosures that he had been a speaker at meetings of the Council of Conservative Citizens (KKK), an organization formed to succeed the segregationist white Citizens' Councils of the 1960s. In a 1992 speech in Greenwood, Miss., Lott told CCC members: "The people in this room stand for the right principles and the right philosophy. Let's take it in the right direction, and our children will be the beneficiaries."

Asked to comment on Lott's remarks at the Thurmond celebration, Gordon Baum, CEO of the Council of Conservative Citizens, said "God bless Trent Lott."

? 2002 The Washington Post Company

The South (and I include Texas in this, for it is ESPECIALLY true here) used to be largely Democratic until the 1960s. After the Kennedy election, the South veered sharply to the Right, and became Repugnant--errrr--Republican. Why? Well, the main issue was (surprise, surprise) Civil Rights legislation.

We see the results of that today.

Oh Really....

org_demo_then.gif

The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow

BTW, I am no Strom Thurmond fan but lets get the facts right...

I will use Mississippi as an example...

Mississippi had it's first Republican Governer since Reconstruction 3 years ago (Kirk Fordice)....Every Governer and Lt. Governer prior to Fordice was a Democrat (we now have a Republican Lt. Gov....she left the Dem. party for the GOP just last week)

Mississippi currently has only 19 out of 52 State Senators as GOP members...
The Mississippi House of representatives have 132 Democrats and only [/b]33[/b] Republicans. The State Government that still perpetuates Mississipi's racist image and flies a confederate flag is overwhelmingly Democrat.

Mississippi's Congressmen (all Democrats) during the 60's (along with Al Gore's father in TN oppossed) oppossed Civil Rights legislation.

So I guess my point is, where are all the so called Republicans in the only state which still flies a confederate flag ???

Since blanket statements were madea about the South being Republican, I gave factual stattements about Mississippi being Democrat.

These comments by Trent Lott prove that he approves of segregation.
:( :(

Bedrock,
I know you're a republican and all, but sometimes, you just need to let some of this stuff ride. Or, are you doing like you always accuse African-Americans in the Democratic Party, and just being a blind loyalist?

Originally posted by mighty hornet
These comments by Trent Lott prove that he approves of segregation.
:( :(

Bedrock,
I know you're a republican and all, but sometimes, you just need to let some of this stuff ride. Or, are you doing like you always accuse African-Americans in the Democratic Party, and just being a blind loyalist?

Dude, when did I say that I agreed with Lott's comments ?
Dude, when did I say that I was a Strom Thurmond fan ?

A false statement was made about the South being Republican.:confused:

You can go to the Mississippi state Gov. webpage and see for yourself about the makeup of the so-called most Racist state and you will see that our gov. is overwhelmingly Democratic.

Now, who is being a blind loyalist?

But, you are right, why should I even bother.

If you look at the voting patterns in the last 40 years, the South has taken a turn to the Right Wing. This is due in large part to the Civil Rights movement.

Makaho helps illustrate my point that neither of the two major parties have Black People's (or anyone who is not a part of the American Elite, for that matter) best interests at heart with his "Then and Now" picture. However, we still tend to blindly follow the Democrats, for whatever reason. Remember, the lesser of two evils is still an evil, and as long as we allow the false dichotomy that is American politics to perpetuate, we will continue to have serious problems.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Incoming Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott issued a written apology Monday evening over his comment that the United States would have avoided "all these problems" if then-segregationist Strom Thurmond had been elected president in 1948.

Lott, R-Mississippi, made the comment Thursday on Capitol Hill during a 100th birthday celebration for Thurmond, who is retiring next month after nearly 48 years in the Senate. The comment was broadcast live on C-SPAN.

"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either," Lott said at last week's party.

Thurmond ran as the presidential nominee of the breakaway Dixiecrat Party in the 1948 presidential race against Democrat Harry Truman and Republican Thomas Dewey. He carried Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and his home state of South Carolina, of which he was governor at the time.

During the campaign, he said, "All the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negro into our homes, our schools, our churches."

Thurmond's party ran under a platform that declared in part, "We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race."

Thurmond eventually moved away from his segregationist position and went on to the longest career in Senate history. Now a Republican representing South Carolina, he is retiring from the Senate when his term ends in January.

Earlier Monday, Lott issued a statement, saying, "My comments were not an endorsement of his positions of over 50 years ago, but of the man and his life."

But some Democrats were angry. Civil rights activist Jesse Jackson called for Lott to resign, and former Vice President Al Gore told CNN that the comment was "racist."

Issuing one of the harshest rebukes Lott has received to date, even from Democrats, Gore said Monday in an interview on CNN's "Inside Politics" that Lott should apologize for his comments or face censure by the Senate.

Lott, who will resume his duties as Senate majority leader when the 108th Congress convenes next month, issued a two-sentence statement Monday defending the remark. The statement did not explain what he meant by "all these problems."

Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle, D-South Dakota, said Monday he believes Lott did not intend for his comments to be interpreted as racist.

"There are a lot of times when he and I go to the mike and would like to say things we meant to say differently, and I'm sure this is one of those cases for him as well," Daschle said.

Gore offered no criticism of Thurmond, saying the retiring senator has since "repudiated" those views. But he said Lott's remarks were "divisive" and fit the "definition of a racist comment."

"To say that the problems that we have in America today, some of them, stem from not electing a segregationist candidate for president ... is fundamentally racist," Gore said.

Asked if he believes Lott is a racist, Gore said, "Trent Lott made a statement that I think is a racist statement, yes. That's why I think he should withdraw those comments or I think the United States Senate should undertake a censure of those comments.

"It is not a small thing ... for one of the half dozen most prominent political leaders in America to say that our problems are caused by integration and that we should have had a segregationist candidate. That is divisive and it is divisive along racial lines. That's the definition of a racist comment," Gore said.

During the CNN interview, Gore also said he will decide later this month whether to run for president in 2004 and will announce his decision early next year.

Loose lips sinks ships.

Note that Strom Thurmond switched parties in 1964, the year that the civil rights act was passed. Yes, Al Gore, Sr. did vote against the '64 Civil Rights Act, which was a mistake. But he did support all of the other civil rights legistlation of the '50s and '60s which include the Civil Rights Act of 1965, which is better know as the Voting Rights Act. BTW Gore did not sign the Southern Manifesto which was sign by many if not most southern senators right after the Brown v Board of Education decision.

When Gore lost in 1970, it was due to Nixon's southern strategy to get more republicans elected in the south. Gore's support for the civil rights' legislation and opposition to the Vietnam War helped caused his defeat.

Here is another thing. Strom Thurmond said that the only reason that Lyndon Johnson chose Thurgood Marshall to the U.S. Supreme Court was that "he was a negro." Marshall joined the high court in 1967, three years after Thurmond switched parties.

Speaking of swithing parties, I can add a couple of names. Leon Panetta, the former Congressman and Clinton chief of staff, was a republican. Hillary Clinton was a Goldwater Water girl in 1964. Her father support Barry Goldwater, who oppose the '64 civil rights act. Goldwater won some southern states in '64.

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~bnjohns/SouthernManifesto.htm

http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/manifesto.htm

Back